Who is REALLY boycotting DCI?

BX5CM

I was using the one the OP stated. Maybe I misread it. Mine involves completely dropping all things drum corps, but that's just mine. It's fine.

He seems to be talking about boycotting DCI and not drum corps, though he may be conflating the two.

My point is that even if you're boycotting something you can still discuss it. That in no way violates the boycott.

A wider point, that I think needs repeating, is that few people who complain about DCI are actually boycotting it. A boycott involves withholding your support/patronage from something until it meets a certain demand. Few are so delusional that they believe withholding their support will cause DCI to turn back the clock. Many fans have simply quit, for a number of reasons. Some may want to continue discuss DCI on DCP. That's fine . . . DCP is not a pro-DCI mouthpiece but a neutral forum where anything related to drum corps, good or bad, can be discussed within reasonable parameters.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He seems to be talking about boycotting DCI and not drum corps, though he may be conflating the two.

My point is that even if you're boycotting something you can still discuss it. That in no way violates the boycott.

A wider point, that I think needs repeating, is that few people who complain about DCI are actually boycotting it. A boycott involves withholding your support/patronage from something until it meets a certain demand. Few are so delusional that they believe withholding their support will cause DCI to turn back the clock. Many fans have simply quit, for a number of reasons. Some may want to continue discuss DCI on DCP. That's fine . . . DCP is not a pro-DCI mouthpiece but a neutral forum where anything related to drum corps, good or bad, can be discussed within reasonable parameters.

I see merit in your point, and I agree with most of what you are saying. However, I'll stick with mine :angel1:

Edited by WOOHOO

Many drum corps fans have their "if DCI adds X, I'm pulling my support" statement. It's different for various people... but I wonder how many people are REALLY going to give up this activity so easily?

In my opinion, I think most people on here make a lot of noise about WW's, Amps, and Bb horns...but I wonder how many people are REALLY boycotting DCI completely?? That means no merchandise, no shows, no DVDs, no CDs, no Fan Network, no downloads, no donations to ANY DCI corps, and no tuition sponsorships since your "X" was added to DCI?

Fess up now... and keep in mind that I'm not looking to ridicule anyone, just curious. I think the number is very low. I believe that it speaks to the true power of the activity, that no matter what form it takes and no matter how peeved a certain vocal minority gets about the evolution of the activity, I think 99.9% of the fans stick with it because their love is that deep.

So I put it to you now...who's for real? And please keep in mind that I WILL be looking for anyone who speaks up at every DCI show in the country. :angel1:

I have never made the statement that I would boycott DCI for any of the rule changes, etc. However, last summer I carried through on my threat to not spend any $$$ at the G7 souvie stands, on sponsorships, etc. I did spend approx. $1,350 on the 8-23 corps, but for the first time in many, many years, I did not spend a penny on anything for the G7 corps.

I no longer go to DCI shows, buy DCI souvies, etc. I have written to DCI to that effect. DCI was my first love and it hurts not to go, but then again, the last few shows I saw (the year of the Cadets breast cancer saga) I did not enjoy. When a DCI corps appears at a DCA show I will watch them and applaud, although I have generally disliked what I have seen. I would rather see (and hear!) an honest effort by a parade corps with 14 bugles than a Mega band/corps with synths, electric guitars and basses and so on.

I can honestly say, I enjoy DCA shows and the tremendous innovation the all age corps have pursued using brass and percussion instruments. In the long run, I like my brass pure and unadulturated.

I will not go to Finals as long as it's in that acoustic hell hole.

I limit my shows, and really beyond Allentown only catch only a few other shows if it's very convenient and has a set of corps I'm interested in seeing.

I had Fan Network this year, but don't plan on having it next year.

My answer is similar to that of dozens of friends and family members who all probably count as dinos to the folks here. We've been spending thousands and thousands of dollars since the mid-70's marching, attending shows, sending checks to corps and to DCI, actively working for years (mid-80's to early 90's) with the Drum Corps Foundation to make the experience during Finals week as enjoyable as possible, teaching, judging, and sponsoring marching members. It's come to a rather abrupt halt in the last few years for most of the group.

Don't think anyone notices, and I don't think anyone cares. But you asked, and there's your answer.

Reasons? I think most people got over the G bugles (although most of my gang still miss them), but the addition of electronics has been pitiful and badly done Every Single Time. The Chop and Bop programming has left many of us sadly missing the music of drum corps, and woodwinds will certainly be the final nail in the coffin for many of us.

I miss being close to the kids, and having memorable shows that I hum for years afterwards.

Boycott? I guess we're not quite there yet. But I think you can safely pencil in 40 or so people who were hard core, die hard supporters of the activity for decades as pretty nearly checked out.

Karen

Many drum corps fans have their "if DCI adds X, I'm pulling my support" statement. It's different for various people... but I wonder how many people are REALLY going to give up this activity so easily?

In my opinion, I think most people on here make a lot of noise about WW's, Amps, and Bb horns...but I wonder how many people are REALLY boycotting DCI completely?? That means no merchandise, no shows, no DVDs, no CDs, no Fan Network, no downloads, no donations to ANY DCI corps, and no tuition sponsorships since your "X" was added to DCI?

Fess up now... and keep in mind that I'm not looking to ridicule anyone, just curious. I think the number is very low. I believe that it speaks to the true power of the activity, that no matter what form it takes and no matter how peeved a certain vocal minority gets about the evolution of the activity, I think 99.9% of the fans stick with it because their love is that deep.

So I put it to you now...who's for real? And please keep in mind that I WILL be looking for anyone who speaks up at every DCI show in the country. :angel1:

Me. It has nothing to do with Bb horns; they could have used Bb in 1979 and it would have been the same, more or less (just Bb horns instead of G, and they could even have been 2-valve Bbs; Getzen made Bb bugles for Canada back in the day). It's everything else. DCI was out of my life from about 1991-2005 (for other reasons), and has been out of my life again since '07. It's DCA for me, if I ever get to go to another show. For me, it's not a boycott; I've just moved on.

Edited by davidp

What definition of "boycott" are we working with here? It's certainly not the one found in any dictionary.

The Irish definition.

Developed by Irish agrarian renters who banded together to protest the obscene yearly increased land rents of English Landowner Charles Boycott of his properties in 1881 in County Mayo, Ireland. The ultimate " boycott " strategy was to withhold support of his purchases at local shops and stores of goods and services owned by other supportive Irish shop keepers and other Irish small business owners of groceries, alcohol, feed, livestock, tools, etc. Strategy worked, as Charles Boycott within the year gave up his County Mayo land holdings, and fled back to England.

Edited by BRASSO

The Irish definition.

Developed by Irish agrarian renters who banded together to protest the obscene yearly increased land rents of English Landowner Charles Boycott of his properties in 1881 in County Mayo, Ireland. The ultimate " boycott " strategy was to withhold support of his purchases at local shops and stores of goods and services owned by other supportive Irish shop keepers and other Irish small business owners of groceries, alcohol, feed, livestock, tools, etc. Strategy worked, as Charles Boycott within the year gave up his County Mayo land holdings, and fled back to England.

Then by definition, no one will boycott. I highly doubt I will ever see a day when there is a picket line in front of stadiums all over the country where "boycotters" encourage others to not buy tickets or support the corps. If the definition is not so literal .. then yes many will. They will do so by not going to the shows, not buying FN, not buying souvies and turning their interests to DCA and other forms of entertainment not sponsored by DCI. Count me as one of those if WINDS are ever legalized.