Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

Is all opera the same since 1787? So, Wagner and Adams didn't write operas?

Just playing devil's advocate. There are many types of opera, like many type of drum corps. I don't want all opera (drum corps) to be identical in style, but it seems traditionalists do.

once again, you are saying things no one wants to happen...No one wants all drum corps to be identical in style. Drum corps styles in the new decade have been way more similar than it was in the 80's.

name a top 20 corps in the 80's that was the same in style as another corps. Bd=SCV? nope. Phantom with anyone? nope. Garfield? Suncoast? Star? Madison? VK? 27? Bridgemen? Spirit? Crossmen?

I would argue that SCV=BD this year was way more similar stylistically then ever before...

Bluecoats stylistically were trying to be like BD...they just did it with a more entertaining style. (yes, before you blow a gasket...imho)

Both Colts and Cadets had an annoying child personae running around the field.

The one corp that was stylistically different from everyone this year?

that's right...the crowd-pleasing, dino appeasing show....the Madison Scouts.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again, you are saying things no one wants to happen...No one wants all drum corps to be identical in style. Drum corps styles in the new decade have been way more similar than it was in the 80's.

name a top 20 corps in the 80's that was the same in style as another corps. Bd=SCV? nope. Phantom with anyone? nope. Garfield? Suncoast? Star? Madison? VK? 27? Bridgemen? Spirit? Crossmen?

I would argue that SCV=BD this year was way more similar stylistically then ever before...

Bluecoats stylistically were trying to be like BD...they just did it with a more entertaining style. (yes, before you blow a gasket...imho)

Both Colts and Cadets had an annoying child personae running around the field.

The one corp that was stylistically different from everyone this year?

that's right...the crowd-pleasing, dino appeasing show....the Madison Scouts.

I think it has been as varied as any other decade or whatever, it's just a style that the average person who marched in the 80's wouldn't like. Why would they? The 80's were 30 years ago.

80s arraingements with todays drills. Now, that's what I'm talking about :rolleyes: !

Sure would. Don't care for the "classic" drum corps sound. That and the visual programs were overwhelmingly boring. There are a few exceptions....but ya.

Different strokes for different folks.

Some Opera lovers havn't walked away from that musical and theatrical genre that hasn't changed since the 1780' s, let alone the 1980's.

Really? Operas written in the 18th century, 19th, 20th and 21st are the same? I saw three this year from three different centuries... one each by Gluck, Verdi and Tan Dun... about as different from each other as they can be.

I think it has been as varied as any other decade or whatever, it's just a style that the average person who marched in the 80's wouldn't like. Why would they? The 80's were 30 years ago.

this decade is probably less varied than ever, and that includes the 70's when one year if you didn't play Children of Sanchez, you had to play Birdland or Tiger of San Pedro

this decade is probably less varied than ever, and that includes the 70's when one year if you didn't play Children of Sanchez, you had to play Birdland or Tiger of San Pedro

Maybe you should check out corpsreps and look at the repertoire for the 2000's

Is all opera the same since 1787? So, Wagner and Adams didn't write operas?

Just playing devil's advocate. There are many types of opera, like many type of drum corps. I don't want all opera (drum corps) to be identical in style, but it seems traditionalists do.

I've never met a drum Corps " traditionalist " that wants all their " Drum Corps to be identical in style".

I've never seen a period in the Drum Corps movement where the corps were all " identical in style " either.

So, you've lost me, as I don't have a clue on what you're talking about here with this post re. " traditionalists ", and what you think they want. When was there an era where all the Corps, Corps shows, Corps styles, etc were " identical" ?

Edited by BRASSO

I've never met a drrum Corps " traditionalist " that wants all their " Drum Corps to be identical in style"

I've never seen a period in the Drum Corps movement where the corps were all " identical in style ".

So, you've lost me, as I don't have a clue on what you're talking about here with this post re. " traditionalists ", and what you think they want.

I'm not saying that there was a time period where drum corps were identical in style, I'm saying that certain traditionalists (not you, since I didn't say you were) would want that. They do exist, maybe you just haven't met them.

Maybe you should check out corpsreps and look at the repertoire for the 2000's

I know what the names of the tunes are. but there is so much wind ensemble stuff, and to be honest, the real issue is arranging style.