Would you walk away if DCI shows were like in the 80s and 90s

Lance

Would you walk away if DCI looked like it did in the 80s and 90s  

256 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Yes, I would walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows
    • No, I would not walk away if DCI reverted to 80s/90s type shows

Well, my background is in Junior corps, but I don't think the feelings are much different. As my old corps no longer exists, I watch or at least look for the folks we competed against. Many are gone, but many have grown and flourished. I guess the point is that no matter when or where we marched, we all had the time of our lives and are better people for having done so. The rule changes and product on the field are almost secondary to survival of the activity as a whole. I might not enjoy it as much as I used to (in my opinion), but that doesn't mean I want it to either go back to the way it was or just plain go away. Music programs around the country are going away due to lack of funding. The same with many youth-oriented activities. I don't want drum corps (DCI, DCA or any other incarnation) to face the same fate. I consider the folks I marched with family. I may not have spoken to many of them since Reagan was president, but I love and miss them just the same. I just don't feel quite the same about any other group of people I've been associated with.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would actually be more interested if they went back to '80s style.....or even back to the '70s. Let's carry our instrument and march!! (Sorry pit, just my opinion, can't say you marched drum corps if you didn't "march")

I would actually be more interested if they went back to '80s style.....or even back to the '70s. Let's carry our instrument and march!! (Sorry pit, just my opinion, can't say you marched drum corps if you didn't "march")

Guess that wipes out all corps members then because guards haven't marched since they became professional dancers and horns and drum are either running or prancing. Where have you been? :rolleyes:

You know, I think I'd probably walk away from ANYTHING that reverted to the 80s. Not just drum corps. XD

Different strokes for different folks.

Some Opera lovers havn't walked away from that musical and theatrical genre that hasn't changed since the 1780' s, let alone the 1980's.

We talk about the need for change in Drum Corps. We've had " change ". Unbelievable changes in the last 40 years. Some good, some of it terrible from a fan perspective. Where has it gotten us in terms of growth ?

How much, pray tell, " change " has ( say ) Opera had ? Not in the last 40 years, but in the last 400 years ? Many Opera lovers around the world would have a fit if somebody wanted to tinker with even the staging backdrop for heavens sake. Don't even think about changing the language in that Opera.

Most Opera lovers like their Opera performed just the way it was before the invention of the Hearing Aid.

For Opera lovers, Opera was good in 1787 and it doesn't need to change a dam thing from 1787 either.

Edited by BRASSO

Different strokes for different folks.

Some Opera lovers havn't walked away from that musical and theatrical genre that hasn't changed since the 1780' s, let alone the 1980's.

We talk about the need for change in Drum Corps. We've had " change ". Unbelievable changes in the last 40 years. Some good, some of it terrible from a fan perspective. Where has it gotten us in terms of growth ?

How much, pray tell, " change " has ( say ) Opera had ? Not in the last 40 years, but in the last 400 years ? Many Opera lovers around the world would have a fit if somebody wanted to tinker with even the staging backdrop for heavens sake. Don't even think about changing the language in that Opera.

Most Opera lovers like their Opera performed just the way it was before the invention of the Hearing Aid.

For Opera lovers, Opera was good in 1787 and it doesn't need to change a dam thing from 1787 either.

Is all opera the same since 1787? So, Wagner and Adams didn't write operas?

Just playing devil's advocate. There are many types of opera, like many type of drum corps. I don't want all opera (drum corps) to be identical in style, but it seems traditionalists do.

How about a compromise; 70s-80s style shows, with Bb/F horns? It would rock!!

Edited by davidp

How about a compromise; 70s-80s style shows, with Bb/F horns? It would rock!!

How about 1 step further? An exhibition during Finals week of 2 alumni corps doing a show style from each decade? Maybe call it "Drum Corps Through The Years?"