Cadets Design Team Begins 2011 Show Planning

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one question tho...if pandering is bringing in money via souvie sales and the like...is that bad?

I think it sucks.

In my view, since 2005 the Cadets have gone through 3 different design philosophies. 2005 and 2006 was super-innovative, take every risk possible, total Gesamtkunstwerk. The reception was competitively very successful and popularly mixed in 2005, generally negative in 2006. But at least these shows TRIED to stand for something.

2007 and 2008, to me, was "back to basics" (new-old style uniforms, late 90s drill) with a thin veneer on top (narration) that allowed Hopkins et al. to claim that they were being incredibly innovative, when in fact they were selling the same stuff as a decade before.

2009, 2010, and from the looks of it, 2011 are what I would classify as "pure pandering": misguidedly groping for what will make people clap, disregarding competitive success, and often failing to either garner applause or challenge for a title. 80s pop and "Sing, Sing, Sing"? That is bush league in terms of show design, in my opinion. Why hasn't the Cadets design team been able to make a cohesive, well designed, and entertaining vehicle in 5 years?

For Holy Name Shall Always Be

I love the idea of the webinar, I would love to be inside the room at some of these planning sessions and see how the concepts are created and implemented.

one question tho...if pandering is bringing in money via souvie sales and the like...is that bad?

not bad at all.....in fact its this thought that needs to be more prevalent in drum corps....better, more fan friendly shows = more fans = more money = more overall success.

well given Hop's recent statements.....

not bad at all.....in fact its this thought that needs to be more prevalent in drum corps....better, more fan friendly shows = more fans = more money = more overall success.

Performing their 2011 program, "MOVE," Drum Corps International is proud to present....The Cadets!

Personally, I like the concept, but not the title. It sounds stationary, contradicting the purpose.

There's a clarinet duet called 'Perpetual Motion'. That seems like an aptly fitting title to me ( :thumbup: ).

Why hasn't the Cadets design team been able to make a cohesive, well designed, and entertaining vehicle in 5 years?

. . .let me throw this out there: When did Hop take over more of the Program Coordinator duties? Wasn't it around 2006/2007 or so? Or am I off the mark there?

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with where they're headed this year . . .there's nothing bad about getting the fans on your side. While it might be pandering, it's also occasionally good business. :thumbup: