What The Fans Don't Want in 2011

SFZFAN

"I.AM.ASPARAGUS!"

(from the "Go Aaron" thread. I'm still laughing!)

I am Celery - a Macgruber show! :smile:

opps... no Geek Squads then.

If we do get a Circuit City Corps, I hope they'll have" a money back guarantee if not completely satisfied with the product".

Why not just make them a Best Buy corps? Then you can have the Geek Squad.

Seriously; do I have to do all the thinking around here? :smile:

Seriously; do I have to do all the thinking around here? :smile:

No.... think again.

No.... think again.

You don't think a Best Buy corps is a good idea? Think of the discounts they could get on electronics!

Seriously; do I have to do all the thinking around here? :thumbup:

Since all corps in DCI have geek squads, a redundancy IMO, it could come down to who has the better geek squad.

Perhaps there should be one geek squad for all corps? Of course, there needs to be several geek squads for the various shows, but the DCI board could vote to pick the geeks for regionals and finals.

No? :thumbup:

Umm, is this OT? :smile:

You're a good poster, MikeD but you're using " fuzzy math " if you believe that there are more marchers today than in " pre DCI ". For example, with 23 WC Corps today with approx 135 marchers each, plus 16 Open Corps with approx. 100 marchers each on average, this equals approx 4700 marchers in 2010 DCI...... in " pre DCI" ( say 1962, for example ) there were approx .400 Junior Corps nationwide competing in various regional circuits around the country. If we assume that each competing unit had approx. 65 marchers at that time, that's about 20,000 more marchers competing each year in Junior Corps then, than in DCI today each year. The number of young people marching and competing in 2010 DCI Drum Corps is dwarfed by the numbers that marched each year in pre DCI. No amount of spin can change that fact, Mike.

I include the competitive HS MB in that, since they are doing exactly the same thing as drum corps in competition. 4,000 competitive MB is a number I have seen posted here. Even with a average size of just 50 that makes 200,000 kids competing in the HS band world, plus the 4,700 in DCI. 1962 is hardly a drop in the bucket of the total numbers of today.

yet at the expense of fans they could have kept. IMO, it'd be easier to get some of them back than to attract band kids in the midst of their latest fad

That's a losing proposition. The available numbers shrink every year. The scholastic students provide a far greater opportunity. Plus, DCI already HAS lots of legacy fans. The ones who are gone? Why should DCI market to people who have shown they dislike drum corps?

1. All fans get older.

2. The available pool of corps will not continue to shrink if DCI follows their current business plan. They intend to foster growth in number of corps, as well as growth in number of members per corps.

A couple of new corps is hardly going to make a numeric difference as compared to 10's of thousands of bands. Plus, it would take a long time for the MM of those new corps to become 'legacy fans'. You want DCI to just and wait a decade or two for the few members of those theoretical corps to age out and become the legacy fans? There is also no way to know if that plan will even work.

opps... no Geek Squads then.

If we do get a Circuit City Corps, I hope they'll have" a money back guarantee if not completely satisfied with the product".

Hmmmm...not sure Circuit City is something you want to emulate...didn't they go out of business?????

A couple of new corps is hardly going to make a numeric difference as compared to 10's of thousands of bands. Plus, it would take a long time for the MM of those new corps to become 'legacy fans'. You want DCI to just and wait a decade or two for the few members of those theoretical corps to age out and become the legacy fans? There is also no way to know if that plan will even work.

Thats basically what youre asking DCI to do by focusing entirely on band kids. Yeah, band kids buy some souvies. But they dont write the big checks. They dont buy friends of dci memberships.