Smaller Corps that were pretty good

Milford Shoreliners; Trumbull Bengal Lancers; Royal Brigade of maybe Elizabeth NJ - somewhere in the swamps up there; Avant Garde; St. George Olympians; OLC Ramblers; Babylon Islanders; Oceanside Legionnaires!!!!!!! yeah I know...

I think Royal Brigade was from Secaucus. Weren't they a merger of the Meadowlarks and possibly the CW Townsmen? They were not bad for a brief time. The Riversiders were a nice GSC corps when I marched the GSC in 68. Did anyone mention the Woodsiders? A very nice corps.

I think Royal Brigade was from Secaucus. Weren't they a merger of the Meadowlarks and possibly the CW Townsmen? They were not bad for a brief time. The Riversiders were a nice GSC corps when I marched the GSC in 68. Did anyone mention the Woodsiders? A very nice corps.

Correct on all counts - we're also leaving out the Chessmen from Easton. Jimmer and Donnie would kill us!!!

Edited by rayfallon

Did anyone mention the Woodsiders? A very nice corps.

Mike, the Woodsiders were a fine corps, like so many others from Newark. After the Penn Jersey Championship in 64 at Newark Schools Stadium, Bob Bunce (who also taught the Woodsiders horn line) lined up both our (Selden Cadets/Woodsiders) hornlines in one big arc to play a really loud fanfare we shared that year. Fantasy. Something like 60 horns wailing away. I think all of Newark heard us that day. This was back in the days of the typical 36 man horn lines. What a rush.

Edited by gsksun4

Southern Tier Genadiers (NY) were never big and were alway good.

Excellent horn line. Those guys could really play.

...was it '79? BOSTON, Holy Conquest, Batman!

cg

I agree....Boston Crusaders in 1979. WOW!!!!!

They were in fact the result of a Townsmen/Meadowlark merger..... The Riversiders were good, as were the Eatontown Royales for a couple years. The Valley Grenadiers (one of my alma mater corps) were very good too for a few years....

The Garden State Circuit turned out some nice corps...

"Smaller Corps";

Not sure if they really qualify as a "Smaller" corps, but Brooklyn's Our Lady of Loretto Knights were a GREAT example of local "Parisgh" corps of the early 1960's.

They were NY State Legion Champs in 1962, and notched victories over such nationally rated/know units such as Cambridge Caballeros, St Vincents Cadets, Audubon Bon Bons, Boston Crsaders an I.C. Reveries.

The Loretto Knights were disbanded immediatly after their final show (Union City NJ) in September of 1962.

Elphaba

Somerville Annunciators

Pembroke Imperials

Fitchburg Kingsmen

Sir Thomas Morre Cadets

Framingham Sharpshooters

St Jeans Jeanettes Lynn

Randolph Brigadiers

Saugus Socialites

Rockland Defenders

Edited by srsadersnare

Squires (Watkins Glen) had a very small corps in 1980 and did well in class "A"