Smaller Corps that were pretty good

...yeah, but they weren't *small* by any means, Don! By your definition Kingsmen in '74 was small (45 horns, 24 guard and about 20 in the battery)...! I LOVED '73 Commodores, BTW.

cg

How many horns did they have? I was at a show that year and I thought I counted 28 horns.

How many horns did they have? I was at a show that year and I thought I counted 28 horns.

...I've got the connect to get that number exactly, but for now all I remember is, early in the season they came down to SoCal for a show and looked and sounded pretty big...well, at least as big as the VK corps I was teaching at the time which was of decent size (over 40 horns anyway...). I'll check it out!

cg

...I've got the connect to get that number exactly, but for now all I remember is, early in the season they came down to SoCal for a show and looked and sounded pretty big...well, at least as big as the VK corps I was teaching at the time which was of decent size (over 40 horns anyway...). I'll check it out!

cg

...aha...from Roy Perez, Mr. Commodore; 47 horns (from a count of the corps at Bluegrass Nationals). Now, Don, are you sure you didn't see the Mariners from Milwaukee? They were 'bout the size you counted...

cg

...aha...from Roy Perez, Mr. Commodore; 47 horns (from a count of the corps at Bluegrass Nationals). Now, Don, are you sure you didn't see the Mariners from Milwaukee? They were 'bout the size you counted...

cg

Yes, I just saw the same vid. I do not know where I got the 28 number. I was at the Bluegrass Nationals that year. I was in the Blackhawk's Musical Corps that performed after the Thursday Night show. We stayed in the dorms with the Cavaliers above and the Bon-Bons below us. I remember watching the Blue Stars rifle line practicing the "V" pass through in their opener for a couple of hours. I remember watching the Commodores drum line practice. I remember going up in the middle of the night to the Cavalier floor and seeing a floor to ceiling stack of beer cans. And I thought I remembered counting 28 horns for the Commodores. Maybe I don't really remember anything......It's hell getting old.

1966 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights - Thirty Horns ( and they spread the field )

third place at the AL Legions in Washington DC behind Cavaliers and Boston Crusaders

1966 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights - Thirty Horns ( and they spread the field )

third place at the AL Legions in Washington DC behind Cavaliers and Boston Crusaders

Different era, don't you think? 40 horns was a huge horn line from when I started watching corps in 1964-66 through 1972. If I recall correctly, the '68 Kilties, as big as they sounded, didn't have that many in the horn line.

All that being said, spreading the field with 30 horns is pretty impressive.

1973 Auburn Purple Lancers 34 horns trained by Corky Fabrizio in his heyday...looked good coming out the first day of DCI prelims with the high score. But then the second day scores had a number of corps we had been beating over us. Ended up 17th...

DA