Smaller Corps that were pretty good

I remember the Woodsiders opening with the "Procession of Bacchus" in the late 60's, a great opener...before BS used it in 72 as their opener.

When the Woodsiders died, the Monarchs/King's Regiment inherited a carload of them around 76 and 77.

Reilly also used Bacchus before BS

Woodsiders brass power partially attributable to the good and bad ( that's what they say )fraternal twin brothers!

all posters are on the money - that hornline had cojones!

I would have loved to have heard a combined Woodsiders - St Rose of Lima hornline ( also small with big sound )

Edited by fecontra

Nice that BAC 79 was recognized. This topic is about small corps so here is a fact about BAC 79; they had only 25 horns. And as their tough times continued (especially a frustrating 1982 where we were bigger but was a totaly wasted year) and the corps nearly folded, BAC regrouped in 1983 as "Boston", had 51 total members and made DCI Associate Member, top 25 in Miami. This after having a local gang jump them just before they went on in prelims. BAC was "small" for many years but was still pretty competitive. Judy Tomka asked one time what made us so competitive and I answered the only way I knew; We didn't consider ourselves small.

Nice that BAC 79 was recognized. This topic is about small corps so here is a fact about BAC 79; they had only 25 horns. And as their tough times continued (especially a frustrating 1982 where we were bigger but was a totaly wasted year) and the corps nearly folded, BAC regrouped in 1983 as "Boston", had 51 total members and made DCI Associate Member, top 25 in Miami. This after having a local gang jump them just before they went on in prelims. BAC was "small" for many years but was still pretty competitive. Judy Tomka asked one time what made us so competitive and I answered the only way I knew; We didn't consider ourselves small.

Knew and marched with a former BAC member from this period- I'd say attitude was crucial. Tough, fearless, crazy, positive.

I remember seeing them in '79 at DCI East prelims. Became a fan right then and there. Still remember "Time for a Change" leading into Conquest. :tongue:

Valiant Knights from Enid. OK - saw them in 1976 and they looked/sounded great!

Imperial Regiment - I may have mentioned them but what a great small corps and they had an amaziing drum line too.

And on that tangent, can't forget L'Inslolite either. :tongue:

...like I said earlier in the thread L'Insolite literally had me in tears at, I think, the Ft. Edwards show in upstate NY...marvelous drum corps!

cg

Alabama Charioteers.

Saw them in 1973 and 1974..... smallish corps, but they looked good and sounded strong!

As far as "small corps that looked good" goes on the DCI side, I'm not sure I'll ever see anything to top the Mandarins when they were a Division 3 powerhouse.... fielding, what, 10 or so horns some years and cleaning larger corps' clocks on a regular basis.

Valiant Knights from Enid. OK - saw them in 1976 and they looked/sounded great!

Imperial Regiment - I may have mentioned them but what a great small corps and they had an amaziing drum line too.

"Great Plains":

The olde "Great Plains Circuit" had some good units from Kansas and Colorado. The Continental Ambassadors from Witchita were a "Merger" corps that did well, along with the Salina Silver Sabers and Frontiersmen.

Denver CO had a nice unit in the Eldoradans who competed in the GPS successfully and their CG did well in the old Mid West CG Circuit.

Elphaba