and.......HERE WE GO

see me

Ok, now we have one poster saying there is no difference in the sheets and one poster saying there is a difference. Could someone post a copy of the OC and WC sheets so we can see the difference in scoring, if indeed there is a difference.

Dean

The Open Class and World Class sheets are NOT the same. I speak as someone who as taught in both classes over the last two seasons. I can also tell you that it's also not a matter of "same sheet" with a tolerance adjustment. Teal Sound in 2009 scored much better when judged on World Class sheets than we did on Open sheets. Of course, with a larger corps and more World Class musical design, that wasn't much of a surprise.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least we wont see scores like this

Unweighted OC Overall Perormance.

Got a chuckle when I saw this:

Corps Score Change Last Show

1. Spokane Thunder 15.500 +1.700 7/17

2. Impulse 15.000 +0.400 7/17

3. Gold 14.900 +2.100 7/17

4. City Sound 12.300 +0.700 7/17

5. Blue Devils C 11.300 +0.700 7/17

6. Blue Devils B 9.833 +0.170 8/14

7. Spartans 9.433 +0.330 8/14

8. Oregon Crusaders 9.383 +0.220 8/14

9. Revolution 9.317 +0.270 8/14

10. Raiders 9.050 +0.300 8/14

11. Music City 8.967 +0.420 8/14

12. Legends 8.767 0.000 8/14

This was clearly a compromise, to keep DCI from splitting apart. Clearly, the G7 got what they wanted, with the "showcase" events. Effectively, they got the core of what they desired. At least we haven't seen our first flute yet on the field of a DCI show.... even though I am under no illusion that this battle is over.

But the smaller corps got a bone thrown to them off the table. For the OC corps, the chance to compete against the WC corps is a dram come true. This is what they used to have - a chance to qualify for the semifinals. I am under no illusion that the OC corps can make semis. But the chance to make semis is worth it.

Next year will be very, very interesting indeed.

Edited by oldschooldbc

No opposition here. I've been very vocal in my support of returning to a top25 style format of yesteryear. It's only fair to Open Class corps and it gives the World Class corps a wakeup call as to who truly belongs where. There used to be an advantage (when corps were known as Open and Class A) in that, the Open class corps had a better shot at top 25 because they were being judged at a higher level of scrutiny BITD. The downside was that a Class A corps could do half a tour, come in on Quarters and knock off several Open Class corps ... not entirely fair but hey ....... they were better than the Open Class corps so they deserved what they got. The pay structure also favored the Open Class corps. The benefit of being top 25 was having your fuel reimbursed for the year.

Several things have changed since then ..... but at least now there is a competitive fairness to finals week that is long overdue. I would also assume that the pay structure will change, as well as the profit sharing structure based on Semifinals results. Obviously, some Open Class corps of today have opted to move up to World class and still retain a regional presence for the first month of the summer. Will this change? I look forward to seeing the new requirements of World Class corps with this new competitive structure for finals week. Some things will have to give in order to achieve a healthy balance when corps are choosing in which Class to participate for the competitive season.

Devil is in the details ...........

well stated. The only real issue that I see is how a OC Corp can plan its return trip...

so with this, will the basic scoring criteria be re-alligned?

I would imagine OC corps will have their criteria and WC will have theirs, and when OC corps go to WC shows and get judged as a WC their scores will drop

Overall a good thing! Kudos to DCI for making the change and hes hope that the right thing will be done in regards to payscale and such. Also good luck to all Open Class Corps lets knock down some world class corps and get in the Friday Show!

if you look at both sheets.....they are exactly the same. The only thing that is different is the heading. Its all about how the judges judge. They may reward things different, but all the words and scores on the back and front are the same.

if you look at both sheets.....they are exactly the same. The only thing that is different is the heading. Its all about how the judges judge. They may reward things different, but all the words and scores on the back and front are the same.

Actually I was under the impression that the wording in the top box of the Open class sheets was the same as the wording on the 4th box (2nd highest) on the World Class sheets. so a corps that can get a 9.9 in a sheet in open class would only reach the top of box 4 in world class which is what an 8.9. when Magic's score dropped a relatively small amount in 2002 from open to world it was because they had maxed out a few of the captions on the open sheets and when they got judged on the world sheets they were in box 5.