G8

DC Guy

I know I'm being naive, but with the woodwind timbre already legal from the pit (via synth) what is so bad about having a mic'd WW in the pit?

I have no problem with a woodwind in the pit -- as long as it's not mic'd. And the synths should go, too.

I know I'm being naive but...with the woodwind timbre already legal from the pit (via synth) what is so bad about having a mic'd WW in the pit? I really don't see what the hubbub is about. A flute or clarinet on a mic will (a) sound better (b) is more 'acoustic' than a midi patch © is not really a gateway to marching WWs (which I don't support either)

because drum corps has been about percussion, brass and visual. i dont pay to see bands now, and on any saturday night i have tons of options to ignore locally :tongue:

My guess is this:

a) Most people will attend the 2011 Special Events not knowing about the Hop/Gibbs proposal; and these events will be complete or near sell outs because the shows will include the top eight from last year and the majority of the audience expectation will be a show similar to previous top eight shows. They might have a vague awareness that there will be some crowd interaction, but not really expecting a 'drastic' change.

b) Because of the large turn out, HOP/Gibbs will point to those attendance figures at the end of the season and say, "See, this idea did work, and is exactly what we need to do for the future"; when in reality the typical audience member did not know exactly what was going to be presented.

My guess is this:

a) Most people will attend the 2011 Special Events not knowing about the Hop/Gibbs proposal; and these events will be complete or near sell outs because the shows will include the top eight from last year and the majority of the audience expectation will be a show similar to previous top eight shows. They might have a vague awareness that there will be some crowd interaction, but not really expecting a 'drastic' change.

b) Because of the large turn out, HOP/Gibbs will point to those attendance figures at the end of the season and say, "See, this idea did work, and is exactly what we need to do for the future"; when in reality the typical audience member did not know exactly what was going to be presented.

If the BOD is fair, impartial, and rational (and I'm presuming they are) they will not base their impression of success on just one years' attendance numbers. Due to the uniquness of the shows, and fan curiosity, I'd fully expect attendance to be up in the early years, then level off at a more sustainable figure for future years.

The frank truth is, however, that this new format may, in fact, produce more revenue than DCI is able to with the existing format. If true, DCI might decide to adopt the new model universally. But, at least, that potential will be written on the wall and forseeable so that accomodation can be made by, and for, the non-G8 corps.

And if that happens, at least the OC and "non-elite" corps will have the opportunity to change if able and desire, instead of being thrown off the boat by Captain Ahab and his scurvy crew. A modulated change in the activity's model is certainly more acceptable that the cold bucket of water the G8 wanted to throw in their face. And the change will be directed by thoughtful leaders presumably actually looking out for the best interests of the entire collection of corps, not the perceived self-serving nature of the G8's actions.

I like how it says DCI "invited" them to "participate in this series." Lol if you can't beat em say it was your idea all along I suppose.

that's EXACTLY what I was thinking... the mighty DCI feared they would lose on this and decided to accommodate the 7 corps rather than make them choose. not saying it's good or bad...just not something i saw coming.

How about this for an experimental judging panel?

Paula Abdoul

David Hasselhoff

A Russian figure skating judge

Judge Joe Brown

Judge Dredd

Judge Reinhold

Doyle Gammill

Add Len Goodman and I'm on board. :tongue:

I like how it says DCI "invited" them to "participate in this series." Lol if you can't beat em say it was your idea all along I suppose.

It's worked before. Read the history of how Christians wrestled the idea of Christmas away from the Pagans.

I know I'm being naive but...with the woodwind timbre already legal from the pit (via synth) what is so bad about having a mic'd WW in the pit? I really don't see what the hubbub is about. A flute or clarinet on a mic will (a) sound better (b) is more 'acoustic' than a midi patch © is not really a gateway to marching WWs (which I don't support either)

You answered your own question.

If a designer wants the sound of a saxophone to eminate from the pit, he can already do so with the synth that's already legal. Why add a "major" rules change to the activity when there is absolutely nothing "new" to be accomplished by it?

If you change the rule to allow a new class of instrument simply to include occasional sounds from the pit, you then open the door for a full ensemble of woodwinds on the field. THAT is a (THE?) major, major change to the foundation of drum corps as we know it.

Edited by TwoValves