What makes DCI of today musically inaccesible?

I'm always fascinated by people who think that visual design is meaningless without music. I couldn't disagree more.

I think the best of all worlds is when they work together.

Interesting, how many drum corps are doing silent drill teams? I mean they are VERY cool.

[quote name='Steve Knob' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:00 PM' post='2920574'

And then there's all the "snippet" arranging - cutting up and "re-composing" of the music, and then adding things the original composer didn't even write. Do you really think you're a better composer than Shostakovich or William Bolcome? When should the title be changed to "Music inspired by..." instead of the original title?

OT...You have judged the band i arrange for and teach in USSBA a few times, and a few years back I arranged Bolcome's "Machine" for the band...you were the ONLY judge to recognize it all season long! :laughing:

Bottom line . ...

few people "throw babies " at today's DCI. They once did, but not now. Why not?

Probably a declining birthrate thing. Just less babies around to throw.

Not enough melody, natural flow. The music is too much an attempt to do proven and successful works better than the original composer. Why?

Good points, Fred.

Jay Bocook is not Stravinsky; Scott Boerma is not de Falla. They (along with others) realize that, and don't presume to stand in the way of the music to add some sort of implied "depth" to it with their own rococo twaddle.

Pedantic note: Manuel de Falla y Matheu, best known to drum corps as the composer of the "Ritual Fire Dance", is properly referred to as "Falla", not "de Falla". Carry on!

I see many fans on here say that the music of today is inaccessible and unentertaining.

Some years less, some years more, but generally I tap my toes less with shows of the past decade than I do with, say, 1989. For me the difference is usually more the arrangements than the choice of music.

I marched in 2010, but have watched all the performances on the fan network (along with seeing many live at various places during the summer). Nothing offends me. There are some music books I enjoy more than others of course, but I loved the variation of music this year. From BD and SCV being abstract , to BK and Madison playing straight up melody. There was a lot of stuff to like.

Personally I enjoy Klesch's music books. But I see many people who tout him as an arranger who "stays true to the original" or "writes musically". I guess I can see the musical part, but Klesch IMO has written some very fragmented, "chopped up" arrangements.

Example: Crown 2008. Yes a fun show (fan favorite, and touted on DCP as a great musical show), but that show is the definition of "cut and paste". Seriously. The closer is especially over the top, with a transition to a different piece every 5 seconds or so in the last minute. Talk about interrupted melody. I get the theme Finis and all, and that's great. But I don't see how some people can call BD 2010 fragmented, and then not call Crown 2008 fragmented. Just my opinion.

yet the fragments fit the theme, and he wove them together in a way you could follow...that was IMO, very well done.