Frank Dorrities article

Mods: Why are there two topics on this? It seems like a lapse in judgement. It's the exact same argument and a lot of the exact same people in both threads.

What is "They are on separate forums, Alex". I've had identical topics in both Forums in the past because lot of people do not cross over to the "other" side. Never had a problem or thread closed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's funny is, that same caption head of said Bridgemen lines has advocated dhutting on tapes I've received from him, inside and outside, and his Star lines dhutted.

That may be but the Bridgemen did not dut, they grunted which is quite different, between "LOUD" dutting and color guards counting out loud, it has gotten crazy at times. That being said percussion placement on the field is and has been very different and more challenging for quite some time now. Having marched from the 60's through to 2000 I know that for a fact. Also having marched next to marching tympani, there are times where some sort of unified vocalization might have helped, lol.

While I must interject here because I have been afforded the opportunity to be on both sides of the issues beening a brass player from 1966 ( when I was just a youngster at 11) :worthy: till 2000 when I had to give up the field due to health issues and started my journey into the percussive world in the pit instrumentation of keyboards including vibes for a few more years.

I appreciate the article totally and agree with Mr Dorritie, as admiring him for years in his teachings and performances but must say that "Dr. Beat" is useful while learning music and teaching the same to the entire ensemble of brass and percussion in the beginning stages! It needs to be eliminated when it is time to "Listen In" to find the groove to the particular venue you are playing at or in the future locations as well.

So, while it may be overused a lot of the time, it still is a good learning tool in developing the pulse of the performance and making it progress to the embedded level of tempo it needs to be.......Now I hope I didn't make any enemies in my very vague synopsis :smile: !

That may be but the Bridgemen did not dut, they grunted which is quite different, between "LOUD" dutting and color guards counting out loud, it has gotten crazy at times. That being said percussion placement on the field is and has been very different and more challenging for quite some time now. Having marched from the 60's through to 2000 I know that for a fact. Also having marched next to marching tympani, there are times where some sort of unified vocalization might have helped, lol.

I've never disagreed it's gotten too loud Frank. I just said it can be auseful tool

I've never disagreed it's gotten too loud Frank. I just said it can be auseful tool

I think we agree on that. btw, as far as the fallacy of no one talking on the field back in the day, there was a lot of talking on the field, it just wasn't supposed to happen, lol.

I think we agree on that. btw, as far as the fallacy of no one talking on the field back in the day, there was a lot of talking on the field, it just wasn't supposed to happen, lol.

Oh, it most certainly did happen. And if you got caught there were ticks. I can remember a case in 1965. It was late in the season and Manny Salort had just joined the Skyliners and wasn't all that sure of the drill. Winky let him march anyway. He was in a squad (remember those things?) with one of his buddies from St. Lucy's, Louie Oganowski. During the drill he came into the squad on the wrong side of Louie. Louie, out of the side of his mouth and in a whisper said, "Manny, you're on the wrong side." Manny literally did a shuffle behind Louie to get into his correct spot in the squad. There was a judge standing right behind the both of them. The M&M judge (remember them too?) said during the critique when our drill man (I think it was Kubinak) was arguing with him, "Hey, give ME a break. I could have nailed one of your baritones for talking in line but the guy he was talking to was so funny in recovering I laughed so hard that I just let it go." True story, I was there.

oh hell, we talked to judges all the time. I think Scott Wolfinger forgave me by now :smile: