Frank Dorrities article

Mods: Why are there two topics on this? It seems like a lapse in judgement. It's the exact same argument and a lot of the exact same people in both threads.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the "but we never needed it back then" concept, however I'd ask that anyone with that attitude keep an open mind and try to visualize yourself in the situations that today's designs place on the performer. It is a whole different ballgame, with many more responsibilities placed on the group as a whole than "back in the day". Todays' performers make many very complicated and difficult things look easy to us. Of course, I've never known anything other than the "dut". We used it since the late 70's when I started, and I know that pales in comparison to when many of you all started. I think we used it more effectively back then, though, since the intent was to not let the audience know it was being used. </threadjack>

PS- I edit because I can't spell and never notice until after I hit "reply".

So here is where you loose me... When in the 70's was it ever allowed to utter a single sound verbally on the field? In 1982 we... (BD) intentionally took the 1/10 tick for in unison saying "HUH" in OMTCC... Verbal comminucation of any sort was a no no! So it wasn't that we didn't need it back in the day... It just wasn't allowed period. Until I started marching SR's I had NEVER heard a dut on the field (while I was out there) once I got back, we used duts for things like slow paced backfield facing NON drumplaying sections. But sadly... the field spread was minimal and we had a back field conductor... The horns were playing and the drums still dutted unnecessarily... It was bothersome to say the least! NO NEED BUT IT WAS DONE BECAUSE THAT IS THE WAY WE DO THINGS NOW... Very Sad...

I take it that some people have never seen the old picture of Garfield's DM with the "Sorry, No vocal Amen due to 1 pt penalty".

Edit - Oops, fat fingers.

Edited by Jocko the Wonder Llama

Wonderful article. Funny, intelligent and thought provoking. It reminds me of the article Jeff Mitchell did on juding and the tick system. You laughed, but you also learned something in the process.

Look, people I admire and respect in drum corps told me the story of the Guardsmen (IL), maybe in 1979, doing a run through WITHOUT THE DRUMLINE. The whole show, marching the drill, without the drumline, and they were dead on with their tempos. Their OTL was Fanfare for the New. You just don't wake up, get out of bed and do that type of thing. That was the result of a talented hornline, great instructors and practice.

And yes, drum corps back in the 1970's did have field coverage, so I don't want to hear about how spead out corps are today. It is still the same size field and, for the most part, hornlines still average between 35 to 60.

If the dut and Dr. Beat were to go away tomorrow I would be happy. My 2 cents.

Gessh! Just when I got the dut tune memorized. Great article Frank.

Best response I've seen in both these insane threads about a one syllable mistake.

:smile::worthy:

Check out the Bridgemen's drum solo back in the 70s, "The Black Market Juggler", blindfolds and all. And if percussionists need to "dut" then their inner clocks all need to wound to the same tightness. THAT would improve their musicianship. Let them "dut" during rehearsals and keep it off the field, it ruins the artestry (sp,..see, I don't mind misspelling:-) of their performance. And if that other Grammy winner has his drum line using "dut" during a contest on the field that Grammy should be revoked.

what's funny is, that same caption head of said Bridgemen lines has advocated dhutting on tapes I've received from him, inside and outside, and his Star lines dhutted.

But the majority of people who say the dut shouldn't even be used at all, even unheard by the audience, are either from another era when the demands weren't the same, or are horn players, where a bad attack is much easier masked.

A bad attack is a bad attack. There is no masking it. I don't care if it is a drum, horn or a friggin' piano.

In fact, horn people are so picky we had TWO attack captions during the latter part of the Tick Era.

Attacks - Method and Attacks - Timing