2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

care to re-evaluate your position?

Yep - I was on another Phantom thread about 2 months ago saying that I was totally wrong about my previous statement. I honestly did not think an all female guard would be competitive - and Phantom has proven me totally wrong. I fell in love with their guard this year - and I have been very vocal about it!

Congrats Phantom - you made a believer out of me!!!!

Later,

Mike

• Like 4

So here we are about to end the season. Just a few weeks ago the supporters of the return to an all-female guard were gloating with the scores and placements of the guard sub-caption. Now it seems this has reversed and while the all-female guard was not the disaster on the field in score like in 04 (I think they were around 10th)they also were not dispatching the competition in Finals like many had assumed or hoped. In prelims and semi-finals they took 6th. Still waiting for results of finals but we all know how theses things trend.

So... Was it worth it to keep talented young men out of the guard? For the record I loved the show but the exclusion/discrimination has still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also... Did anyone notice in the Thursday theater broadcast that Will Pitts felt the need to explain the all-female guard? He called it a "tradition" of Phantom. To me that was a slap in the face of all the young men who marched 05 - 10. Could he at least have said "old tradition" or "we brought back the old tradition?" I also find it ironic that the two highest placing shows of Phantom in that period and the show that made him famous could not have happened without male guard members. Imagine Faust without Faust or the Devil. Imagine Spartacus without... you get the idea.

• Like 3

I thought the all-female guard was just fantastic, and one of their most enjoyable groups ever. I hope they stick with it. Not sure if it is due to the corps uniform or overall style of programming, but the elegance and femininity of the girls seems to be the perfect accent point for them (as it has in the past). My friends all made similar remarks this week.

With virtually every other guard being mixed, plus Madison and Cavaliers, it's not like there is a shortage of performance opportunities for boys in guard these days.

• Like 1

I thought the all-female guard was just fantastic, and one of their most enjoyable groups ever. I hope they stick with it. Not sure if it is due to the corps uniform or overall style of programming, but the elegance and femininity of the girls seems to be the perfect accent point for them (as it has in the past).

Which is interesting when you consider what the style of the guard was from the '70s until they radically reinvented themselves in 1987. They were all-female then too, but had a very "in your face" style until they went with a more feminine style in '87. Interestingly enough, Blessed Sac's indoor guard underwent a similar transformation, and also did so very successfully.

In finals performance, Regiment's guard finished tonight in 3rd place: .1 out of 2nd place and only .4 behind the Blue Devils. I'd say they know what they are doing...not to mention they had one of the best guards they've ever had this season. Congrats!! :thumbup:

So here we are about to end the season. Just a few weeks ago the supporters of the return to an all-female guard were gloating with the scores and placements of the guard sub-caption. Now it seems this has reversed and while the all-female guard was not the disaster on the field in score like in 04 (I think they were around 10th)they also were not dispatching the competition in Finals like many had assumed or hoped. In prelims and semi-finals they took 6th. Still waiting for results of finals but we all know how theses things trend.

So... Was it worth it to keep talented young men out of the guard? For the record I loved the show but the exclusion/discrimination has still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also... Did anyone notice in the Thursday theater broadcast that Will Pitts felt the need to explain the all-female guard? He called it a "tradition" of Phantom. To me that was a slap in the face of all the young men who marched 05 - 10. Could he at least have said "old tradition" or "we brought back the old tradition?" I also find it ironic that the two highest placing shows of Phantom in that period and the show that made him famous could not have happened without male guard members. Imagine Faust without Faust or the Devil. Imagine Spartacus without... you get the idea.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 2

I thought the all-female guard was just fantastic, and one of their most enjoyable groups ever. I hope they stick with it. Not sure if it is due to the corps uniform or overall style of programming, but the elegance and femininity of the girls seems to be the perfect accent point for them (as it has in the past). My friends all made similar remarks this week.

With virtually every other guard being mixed, plus Madison and Cavaliers, it's not like there is a shortage of performance opportunities for boys in guard these days.

Just thinking... Should they ban women from the horn line so there can have a more masculine and aggressive persona? Plenty of other corps will take female horn players. Be careful when you cast assumptions on what young men and women in the activity are capable of doing based only on gender. To the best of my knowledge, elegance and femininity do not get us points.

So which color guard is more feminine...Phantom, Cavies, or Madison?

Edited by FlamMan

Update

The guard did get 3rd on Finals night and beat the Cavaliers. Conrats on a good finish but I still think the guys should be allowed back in.

I admit I was very sceptical at the beginning of the season - but Phantom's guard this year was phenomenal - and their sabre line was just incredible.

I actually liked seeing Phantom with an all female guard - it just seems right.

Later,

Mike