2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

Bad move for Phantom, IMO.

This is a corps that is barely hanging onto the top 8 right now. The only thing keeping them there last year was the percussion (which is now in transition).

They've effectively just cut their talent pool in half.

I guess it's good news for the Scouts and the Cavies.

most of the people who auditioned for phantoms guard were female anyway, barely any guys, so you saying they are cutting their talent pool in half is way wrong, maybe cutting it in 1/8... just watch the guard audition videos from last season.

but i'm not surprised you thing it's a bad move, because you seem to think everything they do is bad :)

Just think if you were a male guard member getting pumped up for your age out year and find that the staff decided to switch to al female how you would feel? Especially if you were a mutilple year vet.

I thought of this. I would be really upset. but, it's the same thing as Scouts not putting out a cymbal line last year (and then having the guard frolic around with cymbals anyway)... At any rate, I'm sure the administration and the guard staff took all of that into account. If there was a very important member who was aging out this year, I don't think they would've done it. The caption heads have been around the past few years and probably know any of the boys. Who knows, maybe there were only a few planning on returning and they were younger and have a lot of years left if they choose to spend it with the Regiment.

I do agree with you though, FWIW. For a kid to be loyal to the corps, the corps has to show their loyalty to the kid, too....

That being said, I can't wait to see the all Phantomette color guard this summer :tongue:

I am thrilled about the decision. The 05, 06 and 08 guards worked much better than I ever imagined. 07, 09, 10... a coed guard was not neccessary to convey the theme, so I'm excited to see a Regiment "tradition" return.

I can't help but wonder if there was a monetary gift involved. A conditional gift? Just wondering...

i guess the tiny difference i see is that the scouts are on the rise and the cavies are consistently a top 3 corps while phantom is fighting just to stay in its G7 largely because of it's weak guard.

So the "logic" here is that a single gender Guard has worked well for these 2 Corps, but it won't for another Corps that goes from a co-ed gender Guard to a single gender Guard. Is that what I'm hearing ?

Edited by BRASSO

I am thrilled about the decision. The 05, 06 and 08 guards worked much better than I ever imagined. 07, 09, 10... a coed guard was not neccessary to convey the theme, so I'm excited to see a Regiment "tradition" return.

i don't think a coed guard is ever "necessary" to convey any theme. eliminating options before the season even starts just seems backwards to me, though i understand why some are enthused about it. i don't think it's the best thing for them, which is sad, because i want to see them get back into the top 5 again someday.

i don't think a coed guard is ever "necessary" to convey any theme. eliminating options before the season even starts just seems backwards to me, though i understand why some are enthused about it. i don't think it's the best thing for them, which is sad, because i want to see them get back into the top 5 again someday.

Here's secret:

Whenever you hold auditions, you're always "eliminating options" :tongue:

I personally think the all-female Phantom Regiment guards were more memorable than the coed ones. Everyone will point to Spartacus, but there are so many Phantom Regiment shows that got it done, and got it done WELL with all women.

While we're on the topic...what are some Regiment shows that you think would have been better with a coed guard? I'm not being facetious, I'm really interested in people's opinion. Personally, I think the tango show they did in 2004 would have benefitted from having males.

I can't help but wonder if there was a monetary gift involved. A conditional gift? Just wondering...

Why can you not help but wonder whether a donation/monetary gift with that particular condition attached is behind this decision? What's leading your train of thought in that direction?

Fred O.