2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

Just for fun..I calculated the scores from the last 3 days for guard caption. Here's how it shook out:

1. Blue Devils

2. Cadets

3. Cavaliers

4. Phantom Regiment

5. Carolina Crown

6. SCV

What exactly was fun about this calculation you did?

And what was the point?

• Like 1

I admit I was very sceptical at the beginning of the season - but Phantom's guard this year was phenomenal - and their sabre line was just incredible.

I actually liked seeing Phantom with an all female guard - it just seems right.

Later,

Mike

Ahem and don't forget to thank them for the Rockford File. It was delicious and a lovely tribute in 2011. Thanks Phantom Regiment.

signed a Phan of you too since 72 ;-)

Just thinking... Should they ban women from the horn line so there can have a more masculine and aggressive persona? Plenty of other corps will take female horn players. Be careful when you cast assumptions on what young men and women in the activity are capable of doing based only on gender. To the best of my knowledge, elegance and femininity do not get us points.

Let's not overdramatize, ok? My OPINION is, after watching them for decades, that the female guard seems to work very well stylistically with their programming. It's funny how many times I heard that from other people this week as well. When guard after guard switched from girls to mixed over the years, it generally seemed to work/improve, but for whatever reason, I never quite got used to it with PR.

The guys they had were great performers and I'm sure they had wonderful experiences, but the choice the staff made this year was a good one and makes them more distinctive. As others have said, it just feels right, and I hope they continue it. :smile:

so yeah...who was it in here that said that all female guard would kill them?

eating crow yet?

well done ladies!!!

So here we are about to end the season. Just a few weeks ago the supporters of the return to an all-female guard were gloating with the scores and placements of the guard sub-caption. Now it seems this has reversed and while the all-female guard was not the disaster on the field in score like in 04 (I think they were around 10th)they also were not dispatching the competition in Finals like many had assumed or hoped. In prelims and semi-finals they took 6th. Still waiting for results of finals but we all know how theses things trend.

So... Was it worth it to keep talented young men out of the guard? For the record I loved the show but the exclusion/discrimination has still left a bad taste in my mouth.

Also... Did anyone notice in the Thursday theater broadcast that Will Pitts felt the need to explain the all-female guard? He called it a "tradition" of Phantom. To me that was a slap in the face of all the young men who marched 05 - 10. Could he at least have said "old tradition" or "we brought back the old tradition?" I also find it ironic that the two highest placing shows of Phantom in that period and the show that made him famous could not have happened without male guard members. Imagine Faust without Faust or the Devil. Imagine Spartacus without... you get the idea.

I like an all female guard.

I like an all male guard.

I like a Coed guard.

There are some all male guards that have sucked. There are some all female guards that have sucked. There are some coed guard that have sucked.

This sounds like a personal issue for you, so I don't want to minimize that. I didn't see any "discrimination" ( the negative connotation kind) in their show, but they did choose to march an all female guard this year because it fit the show theme. That's happened before. Check out SCV '88 "Coed", SCV '89 "All-female."

I liked the '88 coed version better.

Maybe I would have enjoyed a Coed Juliet, but it's obvious they were going for a specific angle with this show and it payed off for them this year.

I thought I'd chime in only because this show is so obviously NOT about "discrimination" in the modern sense of the word.

What exactly was fun about this calculation you did?

And what was the point?

Do you exactly have a point? My post at least relates to the topic, which shows the cumulative guard placements for DCI Finals week (and where PR placed) for those who were interested. If you don't care about such things, you can keep your snarky comments to yourself.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay
  • Like 1

Just thinking... Should they ban women from the horn line so there can have a more masculine and aggressive persona? Plenty of other corps will take female horn players. Be careful when you cast assumptions on what young men and women in the activity are capable of doing based only on gender. To the best of my knowledge, elegance and femininity do not get us points.

Two corps do not have any women in their hornline, but NOT for the reasons you've mentioned.

Methinks you're taking this the wrong way for sure...

Look, there are plenty of coed lines. That's now the norm. There are two all male lines. That makes them special. It's sort of refreshing to see an all female guard on the field. It was very novel. Since Phantom did it for this year we had a more diverse color guard scene. How refreshing! thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Two corps do not have any women in their hornline, but NOT for the reasons you've mentioned.

Methinks you're taking this the wrong way for sure...

Look, there are plenty of coed lines. That's now the norm. There are two all male lines. That makes them special. It's sort of refreshing to see an all female guard on the field. It was very novel. Since Phantom did it for this year we had a more diverse color guard scene. How refreshing! thumbup.gif

Not trying to be a turd here but way back I pointed out that those two corps have no women at all. Not the same situation. Phantom corrected an error when they let guys in the guard. Why is it OK fr a guard to be single sex by design in a coed corps but it is not OK with other sections? Guard is just a section, members should be picked based on talent and fit with the program, not on gender. It is not a sacred domain of femininity or whatever you think all-female achieves. Phantom keeping guys out of guard is no better than Blue Devils keeping women out of the drum line. Discrimination is discrimination.

• Like 2

Not trying to be a turd here but way back I pointed out that those two corps have no women at all. Not the same situation. Phantom corrected an error when they let guys in the guard. Why is it OK for a guard to be single sex by design in a coed corps but it is not OK with other sections? Guard is just a section, members should be picked based on talent and fit with the program, not on gender. It is not a sacred domain of femininity or whatever you think all-female achieves. Phantom keeping guys out of guard is no better than Blue Devils keeping women out of the drum line. Discrimination is discrimination.

I see what you are saying and you do have a valid point. I would guess that guard is thought of as a little different than percussion or brass. I would guess that this is an area where one's gender could be used to help tell a story. Oh, and it's really not about what "I" think all female lines achieve that other lines do not. As I've said, I like 'em all. I don't think you can do the same things with each type of guard. It would be strange for an all female guard to march on the field topless, for instance. Also, I'm not sure how an audience would react to an all male guard marching in dresses! Actually, I'm not sure that they would be okay with them in Kilts! Imagine the effect of the line doing a cart wheel in the show! Oh boy! tongue.gifdevil.gif It's all about the venue and the audience!

I would guess that having an all female guard fit with the program that they were trying to convey on the field this year. It wasn't done to exclude males from the guard because they didn't want men in the guard. It wasn't done because of race, creed, color, orientation, or any other reason other than the show theme was "Juliet". I truly believe it was an effect to have an all female guard on the field. They are a rarity these days. I think we're done with the days where guys who want to march guard have problems finding places to go other than Madison or Cavies.

Truly!

I'll ignore the rest of the implication of your post because this is not the appropriate forum, imho. If you'd like, PM and we can talk more!

• Like 2

Not trying to be a turd here but way back I pointed out that those two corps have no women at all. Not the same situation. Phantom corrected an error when they let guys in the guard. Why is it OK fr a guard to be single sex by design in a coed corps but it is not OK with other sections? Guard is just a section, members should be picked based on talent and fit with the program, not on gender. It is not a sacred domain of femininity or whatever you think all-female achieves. Phantom keeping guys out of guard is no better than Blue Devils keeping women out of the drum line. Discrimination is discrimination.

If a corps decided to do a show based on apartheid, would they hire a white kid to play Nelson Mandela?

Hiring girls to play Juliet was a design decision nothing more, nothing less. It was no different to 2008 when they hired a guy to play Spartacus.

• Like 1