2011 Phantom Regiment Guard

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Corn feed Midwestern girls.

Nice choice Phantom. It'll be nice to have that all female vibe/quality back on the stage.

It's true! Phantom had some really fantastic and talented all female guards years ago; but man, did those girls have some big ol' bootays!

but man, did those girls have some big ol' bootays!

Nothing wrong with that. :lol:

Bc you just cut the potential talent pool in half. now instead of taking the top 20 guy and top 20 girls, youre settling for 20 people who wouldnt have made the cut if it were a mixed guard. Yeah it's neat to see them have an all female guard and yeah it's tradition, but i'd rather see a competitive phantom regiment vs a non competitive. When's the last time they had a really good all female guard? Competitively this is a stupid move.

The Cavaliers are an all Male Corps ( guard included ). Has the talent pool that has " been cut in half " effected them much over the years ? When was the last time their" diminshed pool", especially with their guard, cost them in competition ?

Edited by BRASSO

Ballsy move in today's drum corps world. I dig it.

Those lines in 05-06 were pretty sweet, even with the male solo/solis. The mid-90's lines were pretty sweet too. It can be done, that's for sure.

Bc you just cut the potential talent pool in half. now instead of taking the top 20 guy and top 20 girls, youre settling for 20 people who wouldnt have made the cut if it were a mixed guard. Yeah it's neat to see them have an all female guard and yeah it's tradition, but i'd rather see a competitive phantom regiment vs a non competitive. When's the last time they had a really good all female guard? Competitively this is a stupid move.

Yes. Because just because you got cut from Phantom Regiment, you're obviously never going to try out for another one and possibly make that drum corps and place higher in that drum corps than the Phantom Regiment colorguard.

Yep. That would never happen.

And even if it did happen, you would still be much less competitive than Phantom Regiment's colorguard.

Yep.

And just you got cut from Regiment during an audition camp, you are obviously much less talented than anyone else there. (Because those few days are enough for the staff to know EXACTLY how the rest of the season will go for that member).

There are absolutely no exceptions to audition camps.

Yep.

And how well a colorguard does has absolutely everything to do with the members and absolutely nothing to do with the staff or design team. If the members aren't good enough to start with then there is absolutely no way they could possibly improve over the course of a season.

Yep.

and you know that other single gender colorguards... Cavaliers and Madison Scouts? Yeah their colorguards are terrible. Absolutely no way for them to be successful since they continually allow members they would probably cut if they were mixed gender.

Absolutely no flaw in your logic at all.

The Cavaliers are an all Male Corps ( guard included ). Has the talent pool that has " been cut in half " effected them much over the years ? When was the last time their" diminshed pool", especially with their guard, cost them in competition ?

Unfortunately I don't think that the same argument can be made when it comes to all male corps. Even in the era of all female corps - they were never able to compete at the same levels. And those corps either died out or went coed.

I think the big concern here, is that there hasn't been a competitive all female color guard for a while now - and there are reasons for that. The only all female guard last year was Pioneer.

And I really don't believe that being competitive isn't a criteria for Phantom or their fans (and I'm a huge fan). It will be interesting to see what ends up happening - but looking back at the last 10 or so years - all male and coed guards have ruled - and I don't see the trend being reversed by going back to all female.

Later,

Mike

IMO the last really kick-*ss all-female guard Phantom had was 2002. Was that under Jennifer Leseth's guidance?

There was a ton of intense equipment work in last year's show. The women held up as good as the men doing it.

My only concern in all of this is that I wish sabres went the way of the Dodo bird. I can't see them. They make everyone look like Mime's (they must be using sabres because I see no equipment. )

They did do well, but I'm not sure about all of the design from the beginning. Some more difficult stuff was added later and they held up to it.

In my opinion this is a step back. The guard issues weren't because of male members. While I love tradition, the benefits of having male guard members outweight any points gained off of said tradition.

The cosmetic changes don't help performance.

Last year they absolutely were the issue. If you attended rehearsals (as I did), you would know exactly how sub-par their performance was.

I don't care if it's all women, all men, co-ed, or whatever...as long as they're good. I hope the design group this year pulls it together and does something fantastic. I know KC's colorguard at Father Ryan in Nashville is pretty good. Hopefully she and the rest of the staff can up the ante with thier DCI level colorguard this year.

Edited by chaos001

Unfortunately I don't think that the same argument can be made when it comes to all male corps. Even in the era of all female corps - they were never able to compete at the same levels. And those corps either died out or went coed.

I think the big concern here, is that there hasn't been a competitive all female color guard for a while now - and there are reasons for that. The only all female guard last year was Pioneer.

And I really don't believe that being competitive isn't a criteria for Phantom or their fans (and I'm a huge fan). It will be interesting to see what ends up happening - but looking back at the last 10 or so years - all male and coed guards have ruled - and I don't see the trend being reversed by going back to all female.

Later,

Mike

The greatest colorguard of all time was all female. Oh, and as you know...Phantom Regiment won best guard as an all female unit (deserved or not) Having been in an all male guard, I have no stake in any of this....the fact is its not who marches in your guard, its the talent level, the creativity and drive of the staff, and the dedication of its members !!

G