BOA Grand Nationals

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why there really has to be "clearly distinguishable differences". Does that mean high schools "MUST" use woodwinds? Does that mean drum corps "SHOULDN'T" use Synths and microphones? I mean, none of the characteristics we see can be completely distinguished from drum corps and marching band. It’s all just one thing: Marching Music.

When we try to force the two apart by arbitrarily limiting what marching band and drum corps should do then you’re not helping the activity evolve! If we had done that from the beginning, and FORCED certain ideas on drum corps and marching band then DCI and BOA would never have existed! They would still only be small local bands in Parades! (nothing wrong with that just saying) No field shows at all.

Why must there be segregation? And why must it be forced?

Leave it to the marching music designers and instructors to decide what they want to put in their show. If they want to please the fans, let them. If they want to be experimental, let them. If they want to be traditional, let them. If they want to use woodwinds, no drumline, all guard, synths and micrphones galor let them. WHO CARES?! As long as it’s entertaining… and frankly in the marching arts I’m always finding new things that I find entertaining…

You're really missing the point, or you clearly don't value what some people value very much. I'm not saying that you are wrong, evil, bad, etc. It obviously doesn't matter to you what is presented on the field, and that is fine. The point is that some people find something very appealing about specific kinds of instrumentation presented in specific ways. Again, that does not mean that they are wrong, evil, bad, or against "evolution"... whatever that means.

It appears that you define evolution as being in support of doing whatever you want to do, without any criteria that identifies an ensemble as a particular kind of performance group. Some people don't want that at the expense of losing an already established, specific, unique kind of performance ensemble. That does not make them wrong, evil, bad, etc.

When people go to see/hear a barber shop quartet, they don't want to see eight or more people creating a heavy metal rock presentation, fully plugged in with maximum cranked volume levels, then justifying it as the evolution of a barber shop quartet. At some point, that group ceased to be what they purported themselves to be, and many people would likely love them for it, and just as many people will hate them for it, but it doesn't mean that either side is wrong, evil, bad, etc.

The problem comes when the barber shop quartet (four guys singing harmony without aid of any instruments) no longer exists, because the "evolved" version (the hard core, heavy metal ensemble of eight) has taken its place.

well -- i followed googles signs -- 144 performers

Who's counting? Thank goodness for you; good golly I was mesmerised. btw I go to 1 or 2 movies a year and watch TV 2-4 hours per week; google is good :-)

Has BOA been such an active topic here before?

I've seen things at BOA that I thought were amazing. My personal favourite is usually LD Bell. It's too bad you can't get a CD of the performances from them - some of their music has been really beautiful!

You can find recordings if you have the right connections. ;p

To the original poster that didn't care for Marion Catholics narration... and this is just an FYI... the piece they opened and closed with is called "Are You Experienced" and the speaking is actually part of the composition. The director just substituted his name for the original composers name David Lang. I think it came out in the 80's. The piece is ooooouuuuuutttttt there. lol. St. John's open did the same piece years ago for winterguard. Im not defending the choice... just thought you might be interested to know.

As far as the melding of BOA and DCI, I think they influence each other. I teach and design for band and I know that there are trends in DCI that I am sick of and am trying to move my program in a different way because I don't want to be a DCI clone. They are two different things and I think many bands falter in trying to do what corps do.

Very visually fascinating with one of the strongest themes ever. Extremely demanding brass book and insane woodwind parts. An outstanding guard with imaginative work.

Very "scary" lots of neat effects with voice and levitation. An outstanding trombone section feature. Lots of body movement and acrobat feats.

Overall, and very engaging and awe-inspiring show!

I "want" to really like the show - it has a great concept and lots of innovation. However, it comes across like another over-decorated birthday cake.

The levitation part was cool though.

the field is covered about 1/3 with tarps that make it look like a maze, and there's a giant eye in the middle of the field. and at the end of the show, a guy climbs some stairs and then takes a flying leap off the platform.

"outdoor performance ensemble" is probably the best phrase for it.

This is a very watered down and generic description of the show and leaves a ton of insight out. It's like saying the Madison Scouts had some platforms, had a lot of Tubas and played loud. You really have to see it to get it all.

And, they used to be called an outdoor performance ensemble....they did not use that this year as 'marching band' was announced.

This is a very watered down and generic description of the show and leaves a ton of insight out. It's like saying the Madison Scouts had some platforms, had a lot of Tubas and played loud. You really have to see it to get it all.

And, they used to be called an outdoor performance ensemble....they did not use that this year as 'marching band' was announced.

right on the money