BOA Grand Nationals

drum corps left anything remotely "military" behind well before dci came about.

Well, first of all, that's not even correct. Drum corps still had a mandatory flag presentation as part of competitive field shows when DCI started. (Not to mention that the use of "rifles" as standard guard equipment continues today.)

But my point was not that drum corps is still military (nor that it needs to be)....just that the founding philosophies of drum corps (1. choosing equipment suited for the field; 2. cost-consciousness) still have relevance.

the line you see that is so huge between marching band and drum corps isn't as large to many, many other people who aren't new to either activity.

I get that. But there are reasons why the relatively subtle differences between these separate activities exist - and should remain. One operates during the school year, within the domain of scholastic structure and subsidation, while the other runs during the summer break, and is entirely self-funding. I don't see those differences going away.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well don't get me wrong, I LOVED Tarpon Springs' show and they performed it really well, I just wouldn't call it a marching band. The main reason for this is not the tarps or the choreography, it's simply because they don't have a drumline (in case nobody noticed). This is fine if it's a small low budget high school, but the band is huge and obviously they have a lot of money to throw around, especially since they have like 20+ people in the pit recreating the percussion sounds with electronics. In fact their pit is so big and electronic they had to stick some more synths at the back of the field.

Their rendition of "Lux Aurumque" from 2007 is one of the most beautiful things I've heard on the field!

I agree, and I will also add Music for Prague in 2008 (not beautiful but incredible). Still think they should have won in 08...

Well don't get me wrong, I LOVED Tarpon Springs' show and they performed it really well, I just wouldn't call it a marching band. The main reason for this is not the tarps or the choreography, it's simply because they don't have a drumline (in case nobody noticed). This is fine if it's a small low budget high school, but the band is huge and obviously they have a lot of money to throw around, especially since they have like 20+ people in the pit recreating the percussion sounds with electronics. In fact their pit is so big and electronic they had to stick some more synths at the back of the field.

If I'm not mistaken, their synths are in the pit. The platform at the back contains guitars and the electronic drumkit that functions as Tarpon's "battery percussion", as well as the backfield drum major (listening to a click track) - the main DM locks in with the backfield one. This helps to reduce ensemble music problems created by extremely hard music, field coverage, and individual drill demand. Not 100% positive on all of these details, but I think this is the gist of it. Pretty ingenious really.

If I'm not mistaken, their synths are in the pit. The platform at the back contains guitars and the electronic drumkit that functions as Tarpon's "battery percussion", as well as the backfield drum major (listening to a click track) - the main DM locks in with the backfield one. This helps to reduce ensemble music problems created by extremely hard music, field coverage, and individual drill demand. Not 100% positive on all of these details, but I think this is the gist of it. Pretty ingenious really.

I can't comment on the clicktack or DM thing, but everything else sounds about right.

I enjoy the sound of their electronic drum kit. Its nice to not have 8 thousand notes thrown at you every phrase....

For what its worth, I think a simple drum groove is far more musical than some of the writing for todays drumlines! But hey, to each his own!

You, I'd rather see a show like Tarpon Springs' in DCI rather than the under-developed prop shows we have now. If the Blue Stars would've taken their 2010 show to this level...

The depth of programming is just lightyears ahead of DCI. It's...different. But I'd rather see it at this level than what we have if this is the path we're heading down.

You, I'd rather see a show like Tarpon Springs' in DCI rather than the under-developed prop shows we have now. If the Blue Stars would've taken their 2010 show to this level...

The depth of programming is just lightyears ahead of DCI. It's...different. But I'd rather see it at this level than what we have if this is the path we're heading down.

I see what you did there. Why do you think the exact same design team that does both Tarpon and Blue Stars approached their DCI show in such a more restrained manner? I'd like to hear some theories.

I see what you did there. Why do you think the exact same design team that does both Tarpon and Blue Stars approached their DCI show in such a more restrained manner? I'd like to hear some theories.

I didn't realize they were the same design teams...You raise an interesting point. It seems the designers, then, ARE "holding back" because of their awareness of DCI audience vs. BOA audience. Other than cost/logistical constraints, I cannot see another reason for it. However, what I don't understand...is how corps like Cadets are not taking full advantage of this kind of programming. In 2005, we got a door. Great. But that theme with this level of programming? It would have been INCREDIBLE! And what's more, Tarpon Springs' visual demand concerning body movement and dance, well, let's just say they did probably THREE TIMES as much in their opener as I did in two seasons of World Class drum corps this decade.

Personally, I think what they did was incredible because the thematic approach was so well designed and the setting was so well utilized. On top of that, they played AND marched their butts off! Pass-throughs, jazz running, etc. and doing it clean while playing well! That's not something that can be said of ALL World Class drum corps. Give that very same show to a corps, replace the woodwind voices, and I think it would have a lot of appeal not only for its technical merit but for the goosebump moments inside the music. Even the voice patch was effective and contributed to the overall mood of the show - I found myself on edge and tense in the right places.

There HAS to be audience awareness or logistical concerns - those are the ONLY two factors that I could see warranting a restrained approach to design especially when THIS is what can result. I'd still call it marching band - those kids were marching their butts off! But they were doing so inside of a well-designed thematic package that really married the musical, visual, and "ambience" to create an amazing, ENTERTAINING production!

Anyone else have thoughts because I am literally sitting here totally blown away and wondering why the corps so concerned with pushing the envelope aren't ACTUALLY pushing anything. A bunch of mirrors looks like amateur hour compared to this stuff. I'd LOVE to see BD or Cadets simply go ALL OUT; I could even forgive the lack of melody in a BD show if they were to commit fully to the programming.

Honestly, Tarpon Springs High School just kind of upstaged all of DCI from a design standpoint. Makes BD2010 look traditional.

By the way, if I wanted to see the highest levels of performance, I'd go to Grand Nationals. In fact, I'm kind of considering it. If I wanted to see the highest levels of achievement in an idiom I can't pretend I don't enjoy way more, I'd go see DCI. I'd love to have both in one venue...

If this is the future of DCI, let's get there faster. I'm excited. And guess what? There's melody there, too! I know - crazy!

Edited by DrillmanSop06

Do you really think they are holding back?

Lets consider the big picture here. Is it really practical for a drum corps to tour with that many props all summer? Seems like it'd be a nightmare to me. Budget might be another issue

I thought the Blue Stars 2010 show was brilliantly designed.