BOA Grand Nationals

Drum corps was developed by veterans' organizations, and thus was designed in military fashion.

drum corps left anything remotely "military" behind well before dci came about.

the line you see that is so huge between marching band and drum corps isn't as large to many, many other people who aren't new to either activity.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from BOA Grand Nationals and watched all 12 finalist Bands. Now there is a lot of negativity towards "marching bands" and how drum corps should make a distinction from marching band...

But what I saw from the 12 finalist bands at BOA was anything BUT what is stereotypically tossed around about “Marching Band” even here on DCP. These bands WERE Drum Corps quality bands. From programming, to movement, to speed, to drill design and music, to power of sound, to creativity… I had my jaw open during each of the shows wondering how the heck high school students could achieve a level of performance to rival even mid to lower tiered World Class drum corps.

I wonder if people who are against the “BOA, Marching Band” thing have even taken the time to watch some of the best marching band has to offer. Because what I’m telling you that Marching Band is becoming more and more drum corps like and it’s not the other way around.

It’s clear to me that anyone who appreciates drum corps should also appreciate the potential of marching band. I understand that the bands I saw only a small percentage of all high school bands. And maybe if we all expected more from marching band, and not constantly give into that stereotype, then maybe organizations all over the United States can push to reach their full potential like the 12 bands I saw did.

If we say the term “marching band” with scorn then that’s the way it will be perceived forever and always. All of us who support marching music should never look down to marching band ever, and last night at BOA finals finally proved that to me.

Agreed that when you see BOA bands you see drum corps, which is another way of saying, when you see drum corps, you see bands.

When you were at the show, did you happen to catch the really cool flute flashes to-the-box?

Edited by Brassop

what's the paid attendance at BOA, not counting wristbands of performers who already performed and/or did not make finals?

There are several reasons why I loved BOA again this year.

1. Broken Arrow's majestic Cowardly Lion with its large royal purple cape.

2. LD Bell's soldier musicians quickly leaving the field one-by-one at show's end, then the lone trumpeter playing Taps.

3. Tarpon Springs's driving beat in its paranormal show.

4. Band parent t-shirts.

5. The Marian Catholic nuns in the stands.

6. Just a dollar each way from Chicago on the megabus.

7. You can easily have an awesome seat in section 240 on the 50 for $65, instead of $125 for DCI finals.

..... You can easily have an awesome seat in section 240 on the 50 for $65, instead of $125 for DCI finals.

Considering travel expenses and rooms, time and aggrevation, I'd much rather spend the $125.

just watched a video of Bell. while they move and play well, my thoughts were that in between snippets of pieces already done in DCI, and some of those did not fully develop musically, the sections not taken from something DCI came off as travelling music to fit the visual between the DCI stuff

just watched a video of Bell. while they move and play well, my thoughts were that in between snippets of pieces already done in DCI, and some of those did not fully develop musically, the sections not taken from something DCI came off as travelling music to fit the visual between the DCI stuff

Bell was great this year, but I can see where you are coming from. If you can, check out Marcus High School's 2010 show (they won the BOA San Antonio regional but did not go to grand nats). That show is incredibly musical, with fully developed pieces and a beautiful drill. Make no mistake though, the show is absolutely music driven, and is quite simply stunning. The MFA fan network has a superb video if you can access it, not sure of availability elsewhere yet.

Bell was great this year, but I can see where you are coming from. If you can, check out Marcus High School's 2010 show (they won the BOA San Antonio regional but did not go to grand nats). That show is incredibly musical, with fully developed pieces and a beautiful drill. Make no mistake though, the show is absolutely music driven, and is quite simply stunning. The MFA fan network has a superb video if you can access it, not sure of availability elsewhere yet.

I do remember seeing that on that dreaded site, and I did like it to a point, but even then I felt there was a lot of "travelling music".

I dont have an MFA subscription, and I'm not inclined to buy one honestly.

Look at any other bell show from 05-09 and you will see shows of equal or better quailty with music you've probably never head on a field