Does the theme make a difference

73 members have voted

1. 1. Themes luv'em or hate'em

• Yes
    • No

No the theme makes no difference to a show.

At the end of the day, it's the music choices, arrangements, and presentation that are important. Substance over style...

It a theme helps the designers put together good music, arranged well and presented well with visuals have at it.

Do not try to snip random pieces of music that don't work together into a boring show and give it a theme.

I don't hate themes, but they're not a must have aspect of a successful show.

I'm sure that we've all watched shows with a theme where a theme has been presented, the elements of the theme are in each portion of the show, yet the show still doesn't work.

I only superficially consider themes, and never when viewing live performances. My enjoyment of Crown 2009, Blue Stars 2010, etc., was almost entirely performance based and would be virtually unchanged in the absence of any theme. Still, it's nice to have as a unifying layer on top.

• Like 1

I enjoy a good theme, if it's pulled off. I think Crown has done probably the best job lately in coming up with great themes, choosing music that fits those themes, and structuring an entertaining show around it all that tells a story without "telling" the story.

Overall, I don't think they really "do" anything for a show with few exceptions. I thought PR with Spartacus, SCV with Phantom and Blue Coats with Criminal, all the others were really not memorable.

Theme absolutely makes a difference when it makes a difference. When it doesn't, does it matter?

Triple Crown was a theme that worked beautifully. Second Chance was a theme that worked not at all for me. Loved that Triple Crown worked. Didn't care that Second Chance didn't.

Machine was a theme that worked for me perfectly. Frameworks was a miss on the theme and a win on the show.

HH

Overall, I don't think they really "do" anything for a show with few exceptions. I thought PR with Spartacus, SCV with Phantom and Blue Coats with Criminal, all the others were really not memorable.

WOW!!!! so, Cavies '06 Machine (imo one of the best theme shows ever), not memorable? "007" not memorable ? Triple Crown, not memorable? Samurai, cant even remeber who did that show (said with sarcasm). And what about a DCP favorite ...the Grass is always Greener? The list of memorable drum corps theme shows over the last 25 years is a great one. I'm actually almost offended with your statement. You must not enjoy going to shows then, because most have a theme. To Tame the Perilous Skies....West Side Story...Godfather....Pirates of Lake Mendota...The Planets...and the list goes on and on.