Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

Uniform change yes. Costume change, no. The Cadets aren't going with some jumpsuit idea for this season, it is still based on the traditional uniform from what I understand. And it is most certainly in my right to like something one corps does and not like something that another corps does.

I really like the way crown performs, especially the brass. I really do not like the way that they have gotten rid of the traditional uniform style that the other corps have stuck to with few exceptions

There really isn't a discussion about crown's "uniforms". They are most definitely uniforms. Because the definition of "uniform" has NOTHING to do with the style its in, the colors used, whether its fashionable, or symbolic. So, both the cadets and crown BOTH have uniforms. One is more traditional, symbolic, and another is more modern, artistic.

It's not that you're against "costumes", you're just against modern, non-traditional uniforms (which ARE, by definition, still uniforms). And that's more acceptable to say than "you don't like 'costume change'".

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

I agree...enough Copeland and enough Bernstein. I think whatever Crown does music wise will be great and entertaining to the fans. But, I don't believe they have a chance of winning as long as Leon May wants them to dance rather than march. Please Leon, put the dancing in the guard and let the horns march the drill. I don't know if you've noticed or not but the judges haven't particularly been overly impressed with the overall marching and visual performance of Crown the last two years. I am convinced it is what cost them the championship in 2009. We all have to learn from our mistakes and I think it would do you some good to learn from the past (two years).

If I saw every corps doing the dancing, body work that crown currently does in their show it would be boring. However, crown's approach to visual, though sometimes not strong, has become a characteristic of the corps. I actually enjoy their approach to movement because it's just a contrast from what some of the other corps are doing. But like everything, if I saw EVERY corps doing it like this, it might get a little old. But as of now, I think Crown should just perfect their style rather than just completely eliminate it.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

If I saw every corps doing the dancing, body work that crown currently does in their show it would be boring. However, crown's approach to visual, though sometimes not strong, has become a characteristic of the corps. I actually enjoy their approach to movement because it's just a contrast from what some of the other corps are doing. But like everything, if I saw EVERY corps doing it like this, it might get a little old. But as of now, I think Crown should just perfect their style rather than just completely eliminate it.

Or at least cut down on it a little. I like it, but too much just doesn't look great.

• Like 4

I agree...enough Copeland and enough Bernstein. I think whatever Crown does music wise will be great and entertaining to the fans. But, I don't believe they have a chance of winning as long as Leon May wants them to dance rather than march. Please Leon, put the dancing in the guard and let the horns march the drill. I don't know if you've noticed or not but the judges haven't particularly been overly impressed with the overall marching and visual performance of Crown the last two years. I am convinced it is what cost them the championship in 2009. We all have to learn from our mistakes and I think it would do you some good to learn from the past (two years).

I don't think their main focus at Carolina Crown is to win championships. I think it's entertaining the crowd. I think they do an excellent job of that since they win fan favorite just about every year now. The choreography's main purpose was never to earn them GE points, IMO. I think the corps that builds a show specifically to win, will end up with a show that the fans won't really care for.

• Like 4

I don't think their main focus at Carolina Crown is to win championships. I think it's entertaining the crowd. I think they do an excellent job of that since they win fan favorite just about every year now. The choreography's main purpose was never to earn them GE points, IMO. I think the corps that builds a show specifically to win, will end up with a show that the fans won't really care for.

REALLY? I know and work with some of their staff and I believe they are in it to win it. I would say other than the past 2 years I would agree how entertaining as well as innovative they were, the past 2 years not so much. Maybe innovative on some level for judges..ughhhh... :satisfied: jmo

• Like 3

REALLY? I know and work with some of their staff and I believe they are in it to win it. I would say other than the past 2 years I would agree how entertaining as well as innovative they were, the past 2 years not so much. Maybe innovative on some level for judges..ughhhh... :satisfied: jmo

I know that the gold horns last year were hardly a coincidence, but yes, I honestly believe that entertaining the audience is a very very high priority. I know someone fairly high up in the organization and every year that I ask him about the summer production, he tells me how much he thinks the fans will love it before anything else. I don't doubt that Crown would love to win a championship, but I just don't think that it's the first thing they think about when designing a show. Just my opinion, though. I could be wrong.

• Like 3

Carolina Crown an excellent job of that since they win fan favorite just about every year now.

Not last year though. The Madison Scouts were the overwhelming fan favorite last year.

In 2008, it was far and away, Phantom Regiment.

So while Carolina Crown is generally considered a musically entertaining Corps, insofar as the last 3 years are concerned, at least 2 out of these last 3 years, Carolina Crown did not " win fan favorite ". ( no big deal, but just wanted to set the record straight, that's all )

Edited by BRASSO

I know that the gold horns last year were hardly a coincidence, but yes, I honestly believe that entertaining the audience is a very very high priority. I know someone fairly high up in the organization and every year that I ask him about the summer production, he tells me how much he thinks the fans will love it before anything else. I don't doubt that Crown would love to win a championship, but I just don't think that it's the first thing they think about when designing a show. Just my opinion, though. I could be wrong.

I think that both winning and entertaining the audience come into play for everyone. Though, I don't believe that anyone actually thinks "how can we make this boring?" when they're designing a show. It's just that some have different ideas of "exciting" than others. The designers and staff at Crown certainly know how to make things exciting for the people in the stands.

• Like 2

There really isn't a discussion about crown's "uniforms". They are most definitely uniforms. Because the definition of "uniform" has NOTHING to do with the style its in, the colors used, whether its fashionable, or symbolic. So, both the cadets and crown BOTH have uniforms. One is more traditional, symbolic, and another is more modern, artistic.

It's not that you're against "costumes", you're just against modern, non-traditional uniforms (which ARE, by definition, still uniforms). And that's more acceptable to say than "you don't like 'costume change'".

It could be argued that such modern "uniforms" are uncharacteristic for drum corps, in which case, they definitely would be costumes. One could put a spin on this, either way.