Carolina Crown 2011: Rach Star

I saw Crown's preview last night at GWU. Watched the hornline in their warmup and then the performance that night. The hornline has an incredible tone/blend in their circle at a comfortable dynamic, it just hasn't translated to the field in their performance yet. Show-wise, they have a lot to work with on the field, lots of ideas and music and visuals, just doesn't all go together well yet. It hasn't really found its identity on the field, it's partly cheesy rock show, partly serious corps show. I think once they get that figured out and can blend these together, it will bevery exciting.

At times, I didn't know what I was supposed to be watching because there was a lot going on and nothing was directing my attention. The trusses on the field are great for the effect, but they block off so much of the back part of the field that it's distracting and you don't notice anything happening back there. I'm sure there will be big changes coming to develop it and give it those characteristic Crown qualities that have made people enjoy them so much in the last several years.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OKh4z164iO3HCWuraZgZFA?feat=directlink

Edited by mparunak

I saw Crown's preview last night at GWU. Watched the hornline in their warmup and then the performance that night. The hornline has an incredible tone/blend in their circle at a comfortable dynamic, it just hasn't translated to the field in their performance yet. Show-wise, they have a lot to work with on the field, lots of ideas and music and visuals, just doesn't all go together well yet. It hasn't really found its identity on the field, it's partly cheesy rock show, partly serious corps show. I think once they get that figured out and can blend these together, it will bevery exciting.

At times, I didn't know what I was supposed to be watching because there was a lot going on and nothing was directing my attention. The trusses on the field are great for the effect, but they block off so much of the back part of the field that it's distracting and you don't notice anything happening back there. I'm sure there will be big changes coming to develop it and give it those characteristic Crown qualities that have made people enjoy them so much in the last several years.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

I'm a little bit nervous now... the last thing, I think, Crown wants coming off of two stellar seasons would be to have a cheesy show, while oozing with creativity, lacks focus and a direct form.

However, it is still mid-June, and they have time. I'm not going to count them out yet, but it appears that they definitely have their work cut out for them with cohesion of ideas and flow.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this will be a good year for them =/. They are going to play awesome and march awesome. I'm afraid though that these rock tunes will add too much cheese so to speak. But then again, this is a great corps with I'm sure an amazing staff. Hopefully they'll put together something special.

Edited by tubamarc8891
  • Like 2

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OKh4z164iO3HCWuraZgZFA?feat=directlink

wow they look like 93 star in that pic.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this will be a good year for them =/. They are going to play awesome and march awesome. I'm afraid though that these rock tunes will add too much cheese so to speak. But then again, this is a great corps with I'm sure an amazing staff. Hopefully they'll put together something special.

Lol, Cheese has been crown's thing for awhile.

• Like 4

Any similarities between Rach Star and the widely-panned Kansas show that Spirit did a couple years ago?

None that I can see. On an unrelated note: frankly it disturbs me that so many people are knocking this show. Calling it "cheesy" and "a bad year for Crown." Most of these people probably haven't even seen it. Well, I guess they'll just have to kick butt this year and prove all the naysayers wrong. thumbup.gif

• Like 5

Hmm, this does worry me a bit. The whole aesthetic of the show looks very high school band right now, not innovative and polished, as we're used to seeing from them. Here's hoping they can figure out how to walk the line that they've walked so well in the past....

• Like 6