Lower level corps need horn players too

I really don't know where you're getting your information, BRASSO. I usually agree with your thoughts around here, but you're so far off the deep end on this one, it's almost laughable.

Can you explain how Crown and Bloo has beat this so-called flawed system? Can you explain how SCV and Phantom both managed to fall out of the top 6 recently? Even after PR had WON?

Success breeds success. Each corps gets about half kids who want nothing more than to be with that corps, and half who only want to do drum corps cuz a friend suggested, it's close by, or 100 other reasons.

Every top corps provides "cut lists" to every lower corps, FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of making sure every kid gets a shot at marching SOMEWHERE. Believe it or not, there are lots of qualified players on these lists, but there aren't enough spots!

I can't understand the mentality of someone who's ###### at very good corps for basically being very good; for being desired by the youth of America. we can't force these cuts to march elsewhere!

I didn't know that Crown and the Bluecoats won a DCI Title. I do know that 3 Corps win most of them. The success is no doubt the result of top instructors, hard work, good planning. But there is another reason why 3 Corps dominate the activity despite the fact that the Corps change much of their membership each year. That reason is recruitment. Plain and simple. If we allow the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers to get the top 2 picks in the NBA draft every year, then naturally they'll be on top forever... and it's not because they'll have the best Coach in the business, or that they work hardere or smarter... it'll be principally because they'll get the best talent each and every year. Now,as it relates to the top 3 DCI Corps, nobody here is going to try and make the case that ( say) that the Colts, Glassmen, Troopers, Boston, Madison, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV etc get the same talent walking through their camp doors each November as do the collective 3 Corps of Blue Devils, Cavs, and Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO

Here's another option too : Why not get most members to stay with a lower Corps, get better, and then go out and kick the living daylights out of the Corps that look down the noses at the " lower Corps " after bleeding them dry of their experienced and most talented marchers every year ? Now THAT would be real " competition " imo. Just a thought.

You seem so far removed form the actual intentions and mentalities of higher-tier corps that I'm beginning to doubt if any reasonable argument will persuade you.

You are thinking of corps as actual entities when in reality they constantly changing groups with members and staff and ideas being changed every year! It's people you're talking about! Not lifeless and meaningless corps names. Why does it matter if Crossmen beat Cadets. Or if Madison Scouts beat Blue Devils. Why does that matter? You may have your favorite corps and this plan would probably serve your shallow intentions of "your corps" beating other corps you don't like. But how is that kind of mentality healthy for the activity considering the strong language you put in your post?

The experienced and talented marchers you mentioned are not your pawns to move around how ever you'd like to achieve some ill conceived plot of yours. They are students with the ability to make choices. And I would atleast think that for anyone who cares about any specific drum corps, the ability of that corps to produce a positive, enriching, exciting, and enjoyable experience to its members would be more important that winning/ beating another corps.

Never in all my years of marching did people join a corps to BEAT another corps. Thats not what this activity is about. It never has been and it never will be. Thankfully I'd hate for drum corps to actually be the way you described it. Good thing it isn't.

Edited by charlie1223

I have to agree with Bruckner8 here. My son tried out for an upper-tier corps and was cut in the final round. The corps staff were very supportive and helpful. They took the time to suggest more than one other corps and discuss with him which might be the best fit. Then at least one phone call was made to pave the way. Bottom line, we did not lose money because the corps that took him (and where he had a wonderful experience) did not charge for the camps he'd already missed, and IIRC they didn't charge an audition fee, either. Yes, there will always be corps who are better than others, but lower-tier AND top-tier corps have staff who genuinely love the activity and care about the kids who love it, too.

I didn't know that Crown and the Bluecoats won a DCI Title. I do know that 3 Corps win most of them. The success is no doubt the result of top instructors, hard work, good planning. But there is another reason why 3 Corps dominate the activity despite the fact that the Corps change much of their membership each year. That reason is recruitment. Plain and simple. If we allow the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers to get the top 2 picks in the NBA draft every year, then naturally they'll be on top forever... and it's not because they'll have the best Coach in the business, or that they work hardere or smarter... it'll be principally because they'll get the best talent each and every year. Now, ### it relates to the top 3 DCI Corps, nobody here is going to try and make the case that ( say) that the Colts, Glassmen, Troopers, Boston, Madison, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV etc get the same talent walking through their camp doors each November as do the collective 3 Corps of Blue Devils, Cavs, and Cadets.

But see I don't think thats a problem as long as kids have equal opportunities. I think that all kids who audition for drum corps have all the same chances of getting into Bluedevils or Blue Stars or Troopers given their talent level.

While every corps may not have the same opportunity to win a championship, the kids do. They all have the same opportunity to march a championship corps or not and that is what is most important (given the individuals talent level ofcourse).

Edited by charlie1223

I didn't know that Crown and the Bluecoats won a DCI Title. I do know that 3 Corps win most of them. The success is no doubt the result of top instructors, hard work, good planning. But there is another reason why 3 Corps dominate the activity despite the fact that the Corps change much of their membership each year. That reason is recruitment. Plain and simple. If we allow the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers to get the top 2 picks in the NBA draft every year, then naturally they'll be on top forever... and it's not because they'll have the best Coach in the business, or that they work hardere or smarter... it'll be principally because they'll get the best talent each and every year. Now,as it relates to the top 3 DCI Corps, nobody here is going to try and make the case that ( say) that the Colts, Glassmen, Troopers, Boston, Madison, Blue Knights, Blue Stars, Bluecoats, Phantom, SCV etc get the same talent walking through their camp doors each November as do the collective 3 Corps of Blue Devils, Cavs, and Cadets.

Yeah, the top three corps are the devil. We get it.

You seem so far removed form the actual intentions and mentalities of higher-tier corps that I'm beginning to doubt if any reasonable argument will persuade you.

You are thinking of corps as actual entities when in reality they constantly changing groups with members and staff and ideas being changed every year! It's people you're talking about! Not lifeless and meaningless corps names. Why does it matter if Crossmen beat Cadets. Or if Madison Scouts beat Blue Devils. Why does that matter? You may have your favorite corps and this plan would probably serve your shallow intentions of "your corps" beating other corps you don't like. But how is that kind of mentality healthy for the activity considering the strong language you put in your post?

The experienced and talented marchers you mentioned are not your pawns to move around how ever you'd like to achieve some ill conceived plot of yours. They are students with the ability to make choices. And I would atleast think that for anyone who cares about any specific drum corps, the ability of that corps to produce a positive, enriching, exciting, and enjoyable experience to its members would be more important that winning/ beating another corps.

Never in all my years of marching did people join a corps to BEAT another corps. Thats not what this activity is about. It never has been and it never will be. Thankfully I'd hate for drum corps to actually be the way you described it. Good thing it isn't.

Severals things. What makes a corps a good corps. If there is only one winner then there are 24 losers. When Blue Devils win are the Cadets losers, do kids say Cadets suck, they lost. No they don't. Bluecoats have never won a title which makes them losers, on and on.

When I marched I only worried about the corps in front of us. If it was Freelancers, Bridgemen, Cavaliers, 27 our goal was to beat them not win the title.

In todays world just getting on the field is being a winner, moving up one spot, making finals, improving a score by XX points, feeding the kids everyday are signs that a corps is a winner. Our focus is way to narrow.

Marketing. DCI doesn't give a rats ### about anyone other then the top 12. While kids may know of Pioneer, Manderins et al, from a marketing stand point they don't know these corps. And since the core of DCI is made up of people in the top 12 it will never ever ever change.

For a lot of WC corps, winter camps are another great fundraising tool. The masses of those who have been around shouldn't be naive to this fact. It's unfortunate; but it's logical and smart. Lots of wide eyed auditionees (some of whom wouldn't even stand a chance in a lower level Div III corps), have them return for multiple camps while collecting camp dues and fees, give them some instruction, and cut them in March or April. Sure some talented folks come in during the later months; but the reality is that the captions are pretty much set during the winter camps. Corps make a lot of money off of prospective members during the winter camps; especially the first few camps when the hype and hope of the new year is fresh.

This post may/may not contribute at all. I'm not sure really.

But either way, I really want to march DCI. One of the things that really got me really wanting to do this was the man I met at the Pioneer exhibit at the 2009 Grand Nationals. The man was very welcoming and humble, but that didn't really strike me the most. The only thing that inspired me was this man was deaf..... like me (kinda hard to believe, I know). Not only that, it was the first marching year, and before that, I had no idea what DCI was other than the Open Class semifinals I attended with my school before the actual school started.

The problem is, I can't just pick up a trumpet, mellophone, or contra. I'm stuck to playing the saxophone.

I really want to march badly, so because of the saxophone limitation I have (Not bragging, but I'm kind of considered the ...."good"... one at my school.), I had to fight really hardly to convince my mother to let me at least play a brass instrument. The thing is behind that, is the fight started almost a year ago. I recently got the okay from my mom to let me learn the Mello/French horn.

I'm planning to audition for any drum corps for maybe my junior year.... in college. I just want to see the life behind all of it.

To me, it's all the same. Everyone wants to win, everyone wants to have fun, everyone wants the competition. Still, everyone gets experience of that exciting life.

Some corps just get a bit luckier, that's all to it.