2011 World Class Repertoires

This seems touchy for you, I see. So I won't ask.

Not for me, really. My first instrument was a trombone. tongue.gif

Other people, maybe. IT's always nice to think about other people. ph34r.gif

Well, I'm just confused why you jumped all over me when I hoped that the Bluecoats would have a trombone soloist this year. You got very defensive.

Sorry for jumping on you. My goal in posting here on DCP is not to make other posters feel bad. I feel that this could turn into yet another hot button issue; trombones aren't instruments that have been used in drum corps before, considering their voice is already covered by the baritones and euphs. Why would you say you want a trombone to play this in an idiom that doesn't use trombones other than to rile up those who would care? I think Bluecoats played Paradise Utopia which is from Concerto for Bass Trombone without a Bass trombone without any problems. Why should they add a solo trombone now? I'm just curious.

I believe that they're still not legal instruments in DCI, but I guess they could be legal if they're bell front valved instruments, which are basically tromboniums, not trombones. Tromboniums have been used in DCI before.

Basically, it's one of those things which would bring corps closer to marching band, instead of a nice subset of the marching band world. I'm sure you can see how that would be controversial.

Edited by jjeffeory

Sorry for jumping on you. My goal in posting here on DCP is not to make other posters feel bad. I feel that this could turn into yet another hot button issue; trombones aren't instruments that have been used in drum corps before, considering their voice is already covered by the baritones and euphs. Why would you say you want a trombone to play this in an idiom that doesn't use trombones other than to rile up those who would care? I think Bluecoats played Paradise Utopia which is from Concerto for Bass Trombone without a Bass trombone without any problems. Why should they add a solo trombone now? I'm just curious.

I believe that they're still not legal instruments in DCI, but I guess they could be legal if they're bell front valved instruments, which are basically tromboniums, not trombones. Tromboniums have been used in DCI before.

Basically, it's one of those things which would bring corps closer to marching band, instead of a nice subset of the marching band world. I'm sure you can see how that would be controversial.

well, I'm sorry for not seeing things in terms of "marching band" and "drum corps". I'm just seeing things in what I think would entertaining for me (better word would be interesting). Ofcourse the bluecoats are gonna knock this chart right out of stadium whether or not they use a trombonium or trombone or whatever.

Honestly, I read "bluecoats are playing..." and I had an image of a trombone player in a bluecoats uniform belting out some awesome trombone parts and I thought that was pretty cool! I'm not "purposely" trying to cause an uproar because frankly I honestly didn't think that sharing my thoughts about trombones would be so controversial!

I'm just stating what I think would be fun and different, because I still think it would be pretty cool based on all the trombone concertos I've seen live (which isn't a lot lol). You don't think that, and that's okay. It's not like I'm one of those people that think that if they "don't" use a trombone a soloist that it won't be amazing, because it's going to amazing either way. I love the chart!

Maybe drum corps fantasies aren't allowed on DCP anymore? Must have missed the memo! :tongue:

Anyway...

Edited by charlie1223

Bluecoats played Concerto for Bass Trombone in 2002 without any trombones in the corps, much less bass trombones; I'm guessing they'll be able to pull this off as well.

Mike

Of course! Goodness, this trombone back-lash I have to say, is surprising to me. Even if the rules say you can't use trombones, i didn't think it had the same prejudice as woodwinds... :blink:

Edited by charlie1223

Of course! Goodness, this trombone back-lash I have to say, is surprising to me. Even if the rules say you can't use trombones, i didn't think it had the same prejudice as woodwinds... :blink:

I don't want to venture too far off-topic, but all this trombone talk has me thinking about this...

Imagine a section of 20 of those on a DCI field. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Oh come on, it's hardly a back-lash. I was just pointing out how it could go very wrong. tongue.gif