Incentives for corps experience

FTNK

Just last year weren't The Cadets saying they don't rely heavily on members coming from other corps?

I would say this is a move to mine talent from other corps but it's $25. To me, that just seems like a nice gesture and shows a motivation to seek out experienced individuals, a positive move on the Cadets' part.

Call me confused but didn't you just say the same thing twice (once saying it's not so nice, the 2nd time giving them a pass). If they're actively recruiting experienced (ie. marched somewhere else) they're pretty much trying to mine talent from other corps. Not passing judgment -- virtually every corps in World Class is trying to do (a) retain their base (b) recruit people with experience.

Are there any other corps offering camp discounts for vets from other corps?

Actually, according to the article, they are offering the discount to people who have a 2011 auditon packet from another corps. That means that you might not even have experience marching just audition experience! right?!

Edited by charlie1223

Call me confused but didn't you just say the same thing twice (once saying it's not so nice, the 2nd time giving them a pass). If they're actively recruiting experienced (ie. marched somewhere else) they're pretty much trying to mine talent from other corps. Not passing judgment -- virtually every corps in World Class is trying to do (a) retain their base (b) recruit people with experience.

Sorry - I meant to imply that because the discount is essentially negligible next to travel/camp/tour costs, it negates any effectiveness as an ACTUAL recruiting measure. My focus is the gesture which is to mine corps members (not positive) though I don't believe the actual impact will be very large at all (not much to worry about.)

Actually, according to the article, they are offering the discount to people who have a 2011 auditon packet from another corps. That means that you might not even have experience marching just audition experience! right?!

are they looking for material in those packets to get ideas?

Is anybody privy to the numbers they had at their first camp? That would probably put to bed any thought of this being a move to fix a recruitment problem. Or it may show this to be simply a gesture to obtain high-quality, experienced talent.

I can not confirm, but I have heard the number around 200 from 2 so-so sources. The sources I do have that I could trust without doubt weren't there

that said, I don't know how much a $25 discount will do to recruit people into an activity that is going to cost them $3000 (or even twice that).

It is a $25 discount off the registration fee (normally $150). It reduces the cost of auditioning.

Now, can someone tell me why this isn't as distasteful as it seems? Why are they blatantly targeting other corps' auditionees....and why is that OK?