Cadets 2011

Yeah too bad I won't get to see them live until August. :sad:

We'll see ya out there. :)

Heard from a member that the Cadets had a great first show tonight> Standing ovation!! This is going to be a great year!

• Like 1

From Hop's Facebook page:

Cadets on fire - best first show ever . Thanks to all who worked to make it happen - first and foremost the members . That was one good time
  • Like 1

I know it's pretty early in the season, but congrats to Cadets for winning a show against BD. It's been TOO long.

2nd show in a row. Nice to see! And i think they doubled their lead,lol...

2nd show in a row. Nice to see! And i think they doubled their lead,lol...

WOO HOO!!!

it's funny how a few years ago everyone hated what the cadets were doing, and now it's like a 360, everyone loves them. It's funny what doing shows that people enjoy can do for ya!

i know one corps that can learn from this...

go cadets!

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

WOO HOO!!!

it's funny how a few years ago everyone hated what the cadets were doing, and now it's like a 360, everyone loves them. It's funny what doing shows that people enjoy can do for ya!

go cadets!

I'm in that boat. I have not liked what the Cadets have put on the field for almost a decade now. (There are some parts of previous shows that I have really like though). This year already feels different. I am really liking what I am seeing right now. They have a special show right now.

WOO HOO!!!

go cadets!

It's technically like a 180.

Doing a 360 would put them right back to Grandma Jones, Amazing Trumpet Dude, and drugged up fairy-tale characters. :)

• Like 3

It really does feel good to be excited about the corps again. Not that I hated last year, but it was just a little too 'cute' for me, and the difficulty / depth just wasnt there. Loved them in 09, but again, it was kind of a run-n-gun show, and didn't quite have the stones to win (although it could have been 2nd quite easily).

This year, i feel like all the pieces are finally coming back together. They have a long way to go....everyone seems to be declaring them frontrunners with the cavies, but they've barely beaten BD, have yet to get really close to cavies, and Crown could honestly give them a run for their money as well. The good news, looking at the recaps, is that they seem to have the show to do it, which has honestly been their problem the past few years. The talent, since 2004 or so, has seemed to flucuate from good (on even years) to great (on odd years)....and this year seems to be following that trend. They are doing well in effect now, and most of their top numbers are way higher than the bottom ones, which in most captions indicates plenty of room to grow. Contrast that with their competition, who's numbers are actually reversed by one judge, which is never a good sign (one show, i know...no huge deal...yet....)

As far as the cadets show, i actually dont love it yet. The ending drill, while fast as hell, doesn't actually seem to go anywhere for me (just variations on a company front....but not as interesting as in years past). I'm sure the dual unis has something to do with limiting things there, but i'd love more vertical development / contrary motion. The good news is that theres 1 or 2 more endings to be done, so i'm sure everyone will be happy.

The #1 thing I love about this show is that it is probably the simplest show to understand...maybe even more so than crown, and yet there are about a million deeper levels they can explore with it. It's always been my contention that corps should program for everyone - Each person in the stands doesnt have to understand everything, but everyone should understand something Cadets are doing that this year, and they are doing it without trying to preach or educate us, which is refreshing.

The music is good, especially the drum battle and the end. The ballad needs something...maybe even darker for the demons part, and the opener, while long, and intense, seems like a melody or two is missing. I'm not all that familiar with the original angels, but for a corps, and an arrangers that ALWAYS focuses on melody, its almost a little too choppy, much like what "other" corps have been known to do. Still, i'll take it, and given they are marching that fast for that long to start the show, asking for more sustained melody may be asking for too much.

So - keeping in mind that its the first or second show, definitely a great start to the season. I'm more excited about this show that i've been about any since 2007, or maybe before, and hopefully i get to see it again when they come back east :)