Need some advice

I'm looking for a home. I marched one season at a middle of the road drum corps, but found the experience to be not what I signed up for, or what I was promised. So, I was wondering if the DCP crowd could give me some advice on finding a family based, loving, drum corps. Sure I want to be able to compete, but the experience is the main thing.

I was just thinking the same thing as Noneofyourbusiness. What your looking for has nothing to do with winning. So Pioneer was first on my list, then Raiders, then Colts or Bluestars. Of course there are several others you can choose from. But sadly, its something you will only find out once your part of the group.

I'm looking for a home. I marched one season at a middle of the road drum corps, but found the experience to be not what I signed up for, or what I was promised. So, I was wondering if the DCP crowd could give me some advice on finding a family based, loving, drum corps. Sure I want to be able to compete, but the experience is the main thing.

Dear Barihelp,

Steps to picking a corps:

1) Which ones do you like

2) Audition there

3) Repeat if necessary

Every corps is family-oriented, even the evil-and-excellent Blue Devils. I'm sorry you had a bad experience; I bet it was a function of a few immature or ill-equipped individuals. Every corps wishes to be excellent, and to be rewarded for it. Competition is all about who takes their excellence to transcendent levels in any given year. I doubt any corps starts its mission statement with "We know we won't be excellent enough to win, so let's just educate and become a family."

The "family-oriented-ness" of a season develops as things progress, with many factors in the mix. Every drum corps director wants a positive experience for their members, so therefore try to hire positive and creative hands-on educators. The personality of the membership plays a huge role in the outcome as well: Do the section leaders and conductors have a positive, supportive approach too? If so, chances are very good there will be a good family outcome! EVERY CORPS STRIVES TO DO THIS. It's very difficult to be excellent unless everyone is on the same page and respects each other.

The implication that some corps are "more" family-oriented than others is just silly, IMO.

• Like 2

All corps become a family. Some families make choices as they move up the competitive ladder. As they move up, they make the decisions necessary to foster competitive success. Find a corps that will treat you like a human being and not an expendable number. As they move up the competitive ladder, this happens. Especially in recent years. Moving up the competitive ladder.

• Like 1

When this comes up, I'm always surprised no one mentions SCV. One of the classiest organizations in DCI, and a great family. A corps that really puts the experience first. I would suggest them, especially since they haven't held auditions yet.

do you have friends that have marched or are currently marching at other corps, obviously not the one you dont want to go back to?

what do you call middle of the road? that changes from person to person. some could think that means 8-12 while others could think its 12-18. i'm sure all the corps from 13-8 are very friendly and could be what you are looking for. i can vouch for 2 of them