Cesario steps up as DCI's Artistic Director

talk is good now lets see if its rewarded.....there has always been talk of individuality and then not rewarded....The comfort zone( even with judges ) seems to go back to same ole same ole.....Unless it's BD of course..lol :tongue:

thats where the liasons and caption heads should come in.

honestly, I dont expect this to really sink in for a year or two

Several of you have talked about the "cookie cutter" shows. I'm curious...which of the top 12 2010 shows would some you label a cookie cutter show?

I found GREAT variety and individualism within DCI last year. When I think of cookie cutter, I think of groups that are trying to COPY the "formula" of the group(s) that WIN. I saw none of the corps trying to be the Blue Devils last year...some would say even the Blue Devils were not the Blue Devils last year.

Several of you have talked about the "cookie cutter" shows. I'm curious...which of the top 12 2010 shows would some you label a cookie cutter show?

I found GREAT variety and individualism within DCI last year. When I think of cookie cutter, I think of groups that are trying to COPY the "formula" of the group(s) that WIN. I saw none of the corps trying to be the Blue Devils last year...some would say even the Blue Devils were not the Blue Devils last year.

I agree. Each corps has an identity or history. It's how they perform on finals night is what it should be. Every cookie is delicious :-)

thats where the liasons and caption heads should come in.

honestly, I dont expect this to really sink in for a year or two

Youre right jeff , it will take a few years to work out or people to maybe understand............................Just in time to change it again................Havent we seen it all before......WGI is really, famous for it...whats condemmed today is justified tomorrow.. Happened alot this year.

I guess its like strategic planning for 5 years ....change it all after 3....lol.....Oh well , I guess you still have to have a plan. What would some of these people do for jobs if they didnt continue to justify reasons for even being there...What I will find interesting is I have heard Michael say many many times over the years ( everyone thinks they are a freakin star and designer)which he is right,let see how many will agree or disagee with his decisions.

:tongue:

When I think of cookie cutter, I think of groups that are trying to COPY the "formula" of the group(s) that WIN.

You can see it all over the place in guard work, drum lines, arrangement style, body movement, etc. Do we necessarily want several shows that copy Blue Devils 2010? Do we want one? IMO, last year was TWO too many. It seemed to me that the Scouts were the only corps to break the mold, so to speak.

Edited by wallace

You can see it all over the place in guard work, drum lines, arrangement style, body movement, etc. Do we necessarily want several shows that copy Blue Devils 2010? Do we want one? IMO, last year was TWO too many. It seemed to me that the Scouts were the only corps to break the mold, so to speak.

Your statements are a bit ironic because Madison used a lot of bd formulaic stuff from the the 00s throughout their 2010 show.

Madison used a lot of [bD] formulaic stuff from the the 00s throughout their 2010 show.

In what sense? They was no chopcut arranging; I thought it remained pretty faithful to the '75 show.

Back in the day corps' kept their individual identities because of the loyalty of staff staying with one corps and not venturing off to interact with multiple corps'. So, could it be that the "cookie cutter" issue is not a product of judging, but more of the cross pollination created by design staff moving from corps to corps?

It seemed to me that the Scouts were the only corps to break the mold, so to speak.

Are you saying 11 of the top 12 corps were doing "cookie cutter" shows and were all similar in style?

I can't agree with that at all. I do agree that the Scouts projected their own identity, but so did the Bluecoats, SCV, Phantom, Cavies, and

7 other GREAT drum corps.

If 2011 has as much variety and entertainment value...it's going to be a very good year.

music selection no. pacing, flow, look at every drum break that looks like a WGI drum break....there's a lot going on out there that is VERY same from corps to corps.

• Like 1