Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Science is simply a method for discovering the truth. No one will argue that the "science" of the drum corps sound is what matters rather than the sound itself.

science is not a method for discovering truth

but yeah, i see what you're saying with your second sentence, and agree.

• Like 1

Science is simply a method for discovering the truth. No one will argue that the "science" of the drum corps sound is what matters rather than the sound itself.

This sounds like when, in my business, a portfolio manager says he "lost less than the market overall", presumingly heralding a win for the client. When in fact what the client felt was simply a loss and doesn't care about "losing less".

I may be interested in the science of drum corps, but when I'm in the stands the only thing I care about is what my eyes see and my ears hear.

I may be interested in the science of drum corps, but when I'm in the stands the only thing I care about is what my eyes see and my ears hear.

Exactly. When I go to a drum corps show, hearing the sound is only secondary to feeling the sound, physically. Only a couple of corps each year are able to achieve this for me (I'm starting to wonder if most even have that as a goal anymore) but the net effect is so great it keeps me coming back for more. If I'm not involuntarily moved from my seat by well before the end (see signature), I feel like I've wasted my money.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

Exactly. When I go to a drum corps show, hearing the sound is only secondary to feeling the sound, physically. Only a couple of corps each year are able to achieve this for me (I'm starting to wonder if most even have that as a goal anymore) but the net effect is so great it keeps me coming back for more. If I'm not involuntarily moved from my seat by well before the end (see signature), I feel like I've wasted my money.

Yea, I forgot the thumping in my chest.

I remember those days.

(And not the thumping created by bass amps. In the "old days" we used to speak of "blowing the hair back" and "blowing the back off the stadium". It's a shame that newbies never experienced that, eh Hroth?)

even if we're talking about scientific laws, we're not talking about truth.

pm me if you want to continue this conversation.

OK, maybe "truth" is pushing it too far. "Natural phenomena"...AKA most of what effects our lives. How the world works. Moving on.

• Like 1

right up there with bell front brass.

But bell front brass ain't pointed towards the middle of the stands the entire show.

Last amped show I saw I sat around the 15 yard line because we were in exhibition and I didn't want to bother the paying guests. Was so far out I could see the side and part of the back of the amp on my side of the field. To do the same thing with horns, they would have to be pointed away from me the entire show. Can't remember if the corps (Cadets/Crossmen) stretched the drill out that far but at least the horns were pointed at a 90 degree angle to the stands a lot of the show and not 45 or so degrees away from the ends of the stands..

Edited by JimF-LowBari