Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Actually, DCI died in 1985. I know that's the case because when I joined drum corps in 1975, people were saying DCI had ten years left, tops.

Everything since 1985 has apparently been an apparition in our collective minds. :shutup:

Is that "when you joined" or "because you joined". :tongue:

I can laugh because I expected the Senior corps world to be dead by 2000 because of the infamous 13 corps Prelims in the early 1990s. Now DCA gets about twice tha at Prelims and a full Friday evening of Mini-Corps competing. Yup, some change did work.

I've seen this in the pit and battery since I'm a drummer guy. So I assumed the same would be true for the brass. I honestly don't know #### about brass.

OK thanks, have been following the mallet technique discussions but only thing I know about percussion is...... well I can't do it but I know who to listen to in my corps when they talk about it. (Mainly the guy who is in the World DC Hall of Fame.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

You do understand all brass marching bands have been around a LONG time right?

UGH... how about YOU can be the only person in the entire activity to call it marching band and everyone else will call it drum corps? kthxbi

I will only stop calling drum and bugle "drum and bugle corps" if or when they add woodwinds. If they do that, its marching band. Until then, it isn't.

Edited by charlie1223

No I'm not. I agree that my comment was a little extreme. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Obviously good technique was used at all times in drum and bugle corps. I can't help but see that I feel now that technique has become and even more important part of the drum corps program.

You didn't offend me at all. Just like drumming there are different techniques in brass playing as well. These same techniques are used on a Bb Trumpet, C Trumpet, D Trumpet, G Bugle etc. There is no one "cookie" cutter technique. Certain things stay the same no matter what like breath support etc, finger placement on the valves, dexterity between finguring and articulating (and there a ton of these that are available). Good technique has been around some time..decades. If they TRULY wanted to educate, they would be actually USING G horns to make them better rounded musicians.

This has moved well beyond the initial scope of the thread (as off-putting as the title may have been there . . .heh).

We'll rename this one something a little more general purpose regarding amplification/electronics, and I'll leave it others to start a Cadets-specific thread to debate the specific aesthetic merits of their show.

Thanks! :smile:

OK thanks, have been following the mallet technique discussions but only thing I know about percussion is...... well I can't do it but I know who to listen to in my corps when they talk about it. (Mainly the guy who is in the World DC Hall of Fame.)

hey, I'm just some random guy, don't take my word for it. Ask away.

This has moved well beyond the initial scope of the thread (as off-putting as the title may have been there . . .heh).

We'll rename this one something a little more general purpose regarding amplification/electronics, and I'll leave it others to start a Cadets-specific thread to debate the specific aesthetic merits of their show.

Thanks! :smile:

FINALLY!! I honestly think we've covered EVERY conceivable controversy in drum corps. Literally every one. I mean, wow, literally... every... one...

Good discussion. I'll see everyone under the next poorly written topic!

Edited by charlie1223

Let me just tell you. If we go back to the approach that people had when drum corps used G bugles then it would be A BIG mistake. You can't go back on that. You can't. Current students in drum corps wouldn't go for it. I know that if drum corps didn't implement the techniques that they do now that I wouldn't have done it. Students aren't stupid and think about technique now as an important part of their drum corps market research. They want good teachers as much as they want to play with good technique and master good technique. That's the way it is NOW.

Tell me more about "the approach that people had when drum corps used G bugles". What big mistakes were all brass lines making 12 years ago? What techniques had not been implemented until just this past decade?