Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

Presuming, of course, that you believe there is such a thing. Personally, I don't.

which shines a wonderful light on dci judging...

Presuming, of course, that you believe there is such a thing. Personally, I don't.

If you're saying you don't believe in the concept of objective judging, I agree 100%. It is impossible for someone to judge completely 100% void of thier own tastes. Regardless of the system in place scores are affected by personal taste, corps loyalties, the way staff has treated them in the past during critique, etc... the list of subconcious influences is long and varied, but it's there, and while I certainly don't think these things are the driving force behind scores being given there is no question the impact exists on some level.

Edited by BozzlyB

So, I've been thinking about this all day, and I have to ask: WHY?

Why introduce A&E? For the creativity?

Why? What does creativity provide?

If it's not BITS, why?

If it's entertainment, for whom? The legacy fans (since it's not supposed to put more BITS)?

To pander to the writers/arrangers? Why? Does it advance the activity? How?

If it's end result is not more fans and BITS, why?

What could be the purpose of "More"?

Please, someone tell me if it's NOT to attract more fans, what is the purpose for giving legacy fans more entertainment?

Especially when GH said legacy fans are not the target audience?

What is the purpose of adding A&E?

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

EDIT: substitute vocals for any A&E above and someone answer: WHY?

Edited by garfield

If it's not BITS, why?

If it's entertainment, for whom? The legacy fans (since it's not supposed to put more BITS)?

Please, someone tell me if it's NOT to attract more fans, what is the purpose for giving legacy fans more entertainment?

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

Do you want to give DCP another aneurysm?

If it's not BITS, why?

Someone? Anyone?

Beuhler?

Ok...this deserves an answer. It is a well conceived and thought out dissection of the talking points.

I would answer this. None of what you speculate about matters in the discussion. Drum corps has seen the success from marching band competitions and wants some of that. What they have continually realized is that the marching band audience (students and their parents are there only growing demographic. Us older phartes die. We need to be replaced and who wants to watch a non-American Idol, Katy Perry, Glee, marching pageant? The only sustaining answer is...band geeks.

So, over the past 15 years, the powers who get to decide, decided. They decided to be super marching bands. They decided they needed new audience in a growing demographic in exchange for a diminishing part of a dying demographic. They want to be super marching bands. Some of us will still stay until we die <read: me>. Others will not.

And guess what happens. Madison 2010 happens and it makes us happier than the norm. 2008 Regiment happens and it makes us jump out of our seats. Those special moments are still there. But, the bass player in Spirit from 2009, I think it was...that might be special to my 25 year old band geek son. So, that might be more of his...moment. I stopped long ago deciding for him what was best, or real, or important. We have an agreement...he doesn't decide that for me and I for him. Deal.

So, we have drum corps still. We have two main circuits and fledgling startups. I believe we are in far better straights than we were in the early-mid 1990s. So, I get a glass and it's not a koolaid flavor on the top of my list. It's still koolaid and it's still cold when I drink it.

My thoughts to you sir after your excellently crafted synopsis of the main points of this very long thread.

• Like 1