Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

did you read the CNN article? or just use the "worthy" emoticon for things that you agree with, even when they are blatantly false?

I use the worthy icon because I love Mr. Boo. and I use this... :thumbdown: because I just love you a little less :w00t:

Edited by charlie1223

Uh...no. That's not at all what he said in the article.

I quote: "Traditionalists fear Hopkins will pierce the last remaining veil that separates DCI's brass-based sound from their high school and college marching band brethren: Allowing clarinets, saxophones and other woodwind instruments onto the field."

Nowhere in the article did George say adding woodwinds was "his way," nor did he state that woodwinds were coming.

This is the sort of thing where if repeated enough, people start to believe it. (It's on the Internet, so it must be true.)

All of us in the DCP community can help keep the facts from being overshadowed by the conjectures.

And he said this in the next paragraph:

"What people don't get about me is I love it the way it is, I really do," Hopkins said. "But it's not going to survive if we don't let other people in -- the next big wall is woodwind instruments."

Does Hopkins mean that drum corps won't survive for lack of instrumentalists -- that there aren't enough potential members who will play brass?

Or does he mean that that the audience is demanding woodwinds (as they were supposedly demanding electronics) and that they'll stop attending without them?

And he said this in the next paragraph:

"What people don't get about me is I love it the way it is, I really do," Hopkins said. "But it's not going to survive if we don't let other people in -- the next big wall is woodwind instruments."

blink.gif

I take the meaning of "woodwinds are coming" and "the next big wall is woodwind instruments" to have two very different meanings.

Does Hopkins mean that drum corps won't survive for lack of instrumentalists -- that there aren't enough potential members who will play brass?

Or does he mean that that the audience is demanding woodwinds (as they were supposedly demanding electronics) and that they'll stop attending without them?

I think he means that people who love brass and percussion isn't enough to sustain drum corps and that you need people who love woodwinds too to sustain drum corps...

But I happen to disagree... I don't think we need "marching woodwinds" to sustain the activity from a monetary and audience member stand point.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I think he means that people who love brass and percussion isn't enough to sustain drum corps and that you need people who love woodwinds too to sustain drum corps.

But I happen to disagree. I don't think we need "marching woodwinds" to sustain the activity from a monetary and audience member stand point.

If he is wrong about drum corps needing woodwinds, could he be wrong about drum corps needing electronics?

• Like 9

Did you read the CNN article? Or just use the "worthy" emoticon for things that you agree with, even when they are blatantly false?

When he responded, charlie didn't know that Michael was (partially) in error, and was simply pleased to see an (apparent) actual citation that backed up his point of view. It's only a venial sin.

When he responded, charlie didn't know that Michael was (partially) in error, and was simply pleased to see an (apparent) actual citation that backed up his point of view. It's only a venial sin.

I agree, I read his post and was excited because it was Mr. Boo and gave him the worthy sign!

At the same time I think George was inferring the woodwinds are a wall in which to overcome that will involve a lot of discussion is different than him say that woodwinds are "definitely" coming and its only a matter of time.