Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

citation please.

Well, if they don't want to be considered competitive by the judging community aka DCI they could, of course, by the literal rule not use them.

Well, if they don't want to be considered competitive by the judging community aka DCI they could, of course, by the literal rule not use them.

speculation. show me the evidence to back up your statement.

It just as easily could be said that "every corps thought there was some way in electronics could enhance their product".

they voted them in -- isn't possible they actually wanted to use to them ?

no -- on second thought -- much more fun to say they were COMPELLED !

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Nope...DCI corps are fruit baskets that consists of apples, oranges and peaches. Marching bands are fruit baskets that consist of apples, oranges, peaches, pineapples, pears, maybe some use nuts, some raisins raisins, and others anything else they think appropriate.

No art form is being eliminated, so the question is bogus.

Hardly the same, since you want to remove something. I want to add opportunities...completely opposite concepts.

That's right, because they are the same thing at the end of the day...they are all marching bands.

Yet another non answer to the posed question. As if I actually expected one. Shocking.

speculation. show me the evidence to back up your statement.

It just as easily could be said that "every corps thought there was some way in electronics could enhance their product".

no -- on second thought -- much more fun to say they were COMPELLED !

Yep all 23 felt compelled to use them because they have worked ever so well. I suppose it's always better to just assume no one gets penalized for not pushing the DCI agenda (of course they also will never get full credit for what they do). I mean look at all the G horn lines still....oh wait. Look at all the drum lines still using ...oh wait. Look at all the corps without amps..oh wait.

• Like 1

The vote was 11-7. Seven corps directors didn't want anyone to use them. As for the others....citation, please. :tongue:

Yet, all of them did use electronic instruments in 2009, the first season they were allowed. Every single world-class corps purchased this new equipment in the worst economy of their lifetimes. Even the two (or more) corps that had no electronic instruments in their initial 2009 shows added them hastily in mid-tour.

Yep all 23 felt compelled to use them because they have worked ever so well. I suppose it's always better to just assume no one gets penalized for not pushing the DCI agenda (of course they also will never get full credit for what they do). I mean look at all the G horn lines still....oh wait. Look at all the drum lines still using ...oh wait. Look at all the corps without amps..oh wait.

Circular argument. Everyone is using them therefore they must not have a choice but to use them.No one is being compelled. Corps are choosing to use them.

The vote was 11-7. Seven corps directors didn't want anyone to use them. As for the others....citation, please. :tongue:

You've already provided the citation: it was passed by the directors of the very corps who are now being "compelled".

Yet, all of them did use electronic instruments in 2009, the first season they were allowed. Every single world-class corps purchased this new equipment in the worst economy of their lifetimes. Even the two (or more) corps that had no electronic instruments in their initial 2009 shows added them hastily in mid-tour.

And this proves ... that they all felt electronics were worth using in some way their program?

I get the argument you're making -- that "keeping up with the Jones'" is in play. But it's equally as likely that all those corps are finding value in their use of electronics as well. It's not an either/or proposition.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

I get the argument you're making -- that "keeping up with the Jones'" is in play. But it's equally as likely that all those corps are finding value in their use of electronics as well. It's not an either/or proposition.

Actually the big "Gotta Have It" (hate that song) is if the corps seem to be lagging behind the others (not keeping up with the Jones) it could affect their score, placing, recruiting and ability to pay their bills. What corps manager would want to take a chance at not using the same toys as the other corps and end up losing their corps rear end?

Well, didn't we see the cavies use mylar heads this past year? Based on the crossmen thread they might be using bugles this year?

The point is that those things aren't gone forever as long as corps feel they can still use those things (or not use those things) and be effective (which they can). You are so keen to believe that electronics meant the end of acoustic, that Bflat meant the end of the bugle and everything like that. What I think is that corps have more variety and do what's best for them with the choices they have. And I think that corps will go acoustic, or use bugles or be more "old school" if just relieved of the pressures to be like the other guys. Just offer the audience variety and that will be good and I know that that is possible.

Edited by charlie1223