Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

I agree with alot of what you say fsubone. But honestly, I think DCI can do an even better job of pleasing more people "some of the time".

What I constantly suggests here is that corps shouldn't feel obligated to use electronics. It's not that I think electronics are better or worse they are just another tool to use and I think judges and corps should see them as that. It would be nice to see plugged in and not plugged in corps compete with each other, in the hopes that corps can freely use G bugles or other instruments from the past as well as the modern ones.

I honestly feel that if that happens drum corps will have an even wider variety and people who are philosophically against amped singing in drum corps won't mind that the Cadets are doing it if you have Madison Scouts rolling out the G bugles. In fact the contrast and variety might be extremely invited. Variety, Variety, Variety.

This is where we agree almost entirely. However, eliminating rules altogether or what you're proposing isn't the way to do it. A simple reformation of the judging system would suffice.

• Like 2

Thank you. I'm just glad to see someone gets it without trying to turn it into something else. No need for guys on here to keep trying to "GET THOSE DARN KIDS OFF MY LAWN!" That seems to be the vibe I've been getting here. If it's not how I remember it and like it, it's obviously worse.

That's exactly what they're doing (virtually at least). Moreover they have no *clue* that's what they're doing.

There are a lot of us out here (despite being old farts) who are completely in awe what you do! So rock on and don't let the DCP curmudgeons bring you down :-)

That's exactly what they're doing (virtually at least). Moreover they have no *clue* that's what they're doing.

There are a lot of us out here (despite being old farts) who are completely in awe what you do! So rock on and don't let the DCP curmudgeons bring you down :-)

What is that new Crown Signature you have! Is that legit?

I'm not pushing for anything. I get it, you don't like electronics. Okay? You've made your point, but please, just accept that this is how DCI is, this is how most of the kids marching today know it, most of us don't know what the G era was like, except for on video or recording. I do believe in progress for DCI, and doing what it needs to do to survive in the modern era of technology. Sure, it's not what you like, it's not to your taste, but hey, you can never please all of the people all of the time.

For most of us out there, THIS IS DCI, even with electronics and mic'd singers. It's what we know, and I'm not sure about this, but I'd like to hope that the rest of the kids that I march with are enjoying it too.

my point was....would you still be saying this if it was 2003 and none of the electric proposals had passed yet.

There's nothing profound here. There have been people have been "pushing for change" from day one. And there have been people objecting to every change as "The End Of Drumcorps!!".

Everyone wants to draw a line the sand and say "This is drumcorps".

There *is* no line. It's a continuum of change.

Do you really believe that there is no point beyond which drum corps would no longer be drum corps?

If everything is drum corps, nothing is.

• Like 1

Now, just cuz I need to ask, what about amped stuff that wasn't jarring and very well blended?

well, when I finally hear some, i'll let you know

• Like 1

Well, I mean... lets say that you actually found amped voice to be well balanced and not jarring. Would you like it then. (Just ignore for a moment your opinion of a poor history)

I encourage corps to use their amped vocals appropriately. And because I feel that amped voice has not stuck out like a sore thumb I'm confident that with every year that passes that drum corps that decide to amplify the human voice do so in better ways.

i dont mind it as much in WGI, and I have to be honest, they do FAR better with it. granted it's a smaller arena vs a huge stadium, but no matter how much fabric they hang, how many windows and roofs they open....it still is an issue.

and what's worse is when you have mic'd soloists you cant even hear because if you arent inside the 40's, you're screwed.

• Like 1

So you say, but I've listened to people complaining about singing, you included, not just amped singing, all of it. So it seems pretty hypocritical to only hate amplification, but be fine with normal singing. Me, I enjoy all of it, but I always try and find positive things in DCI to watch and be entertained by. Guess some people just can't do that unless it's exactly the way they want it. It's DCI, you've got 23 shows to choose from, there will be something in at least one of those shows that will entertain you if you're willing to open your heart and mind enough to see DCI for the way it is today, and accept it as such, and actually sit down and watch the shows, completely objectively, and try and enjoy them. Okay?

I given them chances. sadly, they just arent delivering. if you go to a huge show and like half or less of what you see, that's an issue

• Like 1

Example please? I realize opinions about whether or not amped stuff is considered jarring and very well blended, or not, will fall pretty much along party lines, but to me I have yet to hear amped voice or sythn that wasn't like finding a pubic hair in the butter.

:spitting:

• Like 2