Amplification/Electronics: 2011 Season

At the point there is no difference there is no difference. It's brass marching band...period.

Marching band converged on drum corps. Is it such a shock that they're now so similar?

To people outside the activity, they've always been the same

To people inside the activity (despite the mechanical similarities) the end products remain (IMO) quite distinct.

There is no such thing as increasing volume 'artificially'.

No? What about turning up a dial on a mixing board? Maybe you have a different definition of "artificial"; mine is "requires no effort on the part of the performer" in this case.

• Like 1

No? What about turning up a dial on a mixing board? Maybe you have a different definition of "artificial"; mine is "requires no effort on the part of the performer" in this case.

Turning the dial up makes the volume go up, for sure. But it is not 'artificial'. IMO there is no such thing as artificial sound or volume. Its sound.

Turning the dial up makes the volume go up, for sure. But it is not 'artificial'. IMO there is no such thing as artificial sound or volume. Its sound.

OK, then instead of "artifical" my distinction is "controlled externally to the performer."

• Like 1

The activity will plot it's own path just as it always has balancing tradition and innovation in a constant struggle. It will try to hold on to the best of what has passed and embrace the best of what is new all at the same time.

but at what cost?

• Like 1

the same cost that's it always paid when changes occur?

Two different types of cost here. One is the cost of replacing something that wears out over time (horns/drums) as that cost is always there and in the budget for years. In that case the newer kind of equipment is bought as a replacement. Other is having to buy something new and is an ADDITIONAL cost in the budget.

I think there's a difference when person Y operates a device that changes person X's volume level, as observed through speaker Z. (But then again, I think there's a difference between drum corps and marching band, and you deny that too....)