Rivals

:ph34r:

Now I expect that the 'rivalries' from OUR part of the world hold no power in the East, but Brass has ALWAYS had 'rivalries' with our Midwest brethren. Boys/Spirit of '76, Govies, James Gang, Chicago Connection, and Vanguard were "all business" on the field, and all "fun" afterward.

Some of the after-show gatherings at the '76 Legion Post in Racine, and the always hilarious camp-outs at Kolacky days in Montgomery, MN and "Defeat of Jesse James Days" in Northfield, MN are of legend.. :thumbup:

Not as numerous as the established happenings out East, but memorable none the less..

Now the 2004 DCM after show party in DeKalb was pretty good too...That was the year the Renegades came in for the show!! :worthy:

Pat

Now I expect that the 'rivalries' from OUR part of the world hold no power in the East, but Brass has ALWAYS had 'rivalries' with our Midwest brethren. Boys/Spirit of '76, Govies, James Gang, Chicago Connection, and Vanguard were "all business" on the field, and all "fun" afterward.

Some of the after-show gatherings at the '76 Legion Post in Racine, and the always hilarious camp-outs at Kolacky days in Montgomery, MN and "Defeat of Jesse James Days" in Northfield, MN are of legend.. :thumbup:

Not as numerous as the established happenings out East, but memorable none the less..

Now the 2004 DCM after show party in DeKalb was pretty good too...That was the year the Renegades came in for the show!! :worthy:

Pat

We actually hated you guys....but pretended to like yous so we could drink your beer. :tongue:

Going back to my early days in DCA (1973), you basically "hated" everyone else all day and then partied with them after the show, lol. Some of my best after show party memories were with people from corps that I "hated". Nowadays there are few if any after parties, the parking lots empty like a fire drill, lol

Edited by Fastone

We actually hated you guys....but pretended to like yous so we could drink your beer. :tongue:

Is that why most of your single females partied with our guys? :whistle:(runs and hides)

Or was it they secretly liked Lutefisk more than Bratwurst.. :inlove:

Maybe it was those "Prune" Kolackys in Montgomery. :worthy:

Pat

Hmmm what was that? The Syracuse incident?

yep. just an entertaining footnote to post retreat activities finals weekend

Since most people from both corps didnt even know about it, including me, I would hardly call that an "incident".

Rivalries don't have to include arguing and fighting. Cru had a very friendly rivalrie with the Grennies, eh?

95 and 96...a little tension between Empire and Westshore perhaps.

DA

tension for sure, especially the week before finals in 96 and the Rochester show in 95. never got ugly tho

( we had kegs waiting at the busses both times so our attention was diverted :tongue: )

Ahhhhhhhh, the good old annual DCM-DeKalb "Kiltiepalooza"!!!!!!!!

Pat

Having seen them 3 times, I could see why they were beaten. On first sight I impressed with them. Probably more so than in the long run. Probably because I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were.

I'm sorry if that sounds wrong, but no, really I wasn't expecting them to be in that upper echelon range.

Our only intention with the tour was the experience of it all, I am assuming that when you mean the "upper echelon range" you are on about the corps at the top of the tables which we had no intention of playing with especially as we didn't know how the tour would turn out and where we would lie amongst the rest of the corps.

Back onto topic of course as our tour hopefully didn't have anything to do with rivalries.

West Coast.

Maybe back in the day? I understand there were some great Sr. Corps back in the day in California. Well before my time though. Somebody can probably comment on those corps....

However, now, and experiencing it the past 4 years. It doesnt seem so much rivalry as it is family. I like how Freelancers, Dream, and Gades, seem to have this six degrees of seperation thing. Somebody marched with somebody else back in the day. Or, recently in a corps. We know each other quite well. Whether you were in Kingsmen Alumni, (which was like a conglomerate of many, many corps), Kingsmen Sr, Freelancers Alums/Mini Corps, the great River City Regiment, or the current Renegades or Dream- there is a good chance you know someone marching in another corps.

I feel its a good vibe when we perform and get together. The Santa Monica Pier get together last year, was one of those occasions. Also the massed hornlines we have occasionally done at shows for warm ups.

Renegades- always has the friendly and open atmosphere they provide to everyone. Chinese New Years Parade- if you have been, its always the best.

I won't forget the time in 09, when I was in Kingsmen Sr. Coming off the field from a show at East LA College. Having Renegades cheer us off as we went through the tunnel. That and other moments exemplify how we are out here. I feel we support each other.

If anything, perhaps our greatest rival is... Time??? Those 6 weeks after the LA shows in July, where we are practicing, and watching the rest of the DCA world. We might be in 2nd or 3rd in score, at the time of our last show in July. But as other corps scores go up, we rehearse...then another weekend-checking East Coast corps scores ...then rehearsing some more...until finally we get to DCA.

Maybe that will have a chance to change as DCA expands out West...We'll see.

Going back to my early days in DCA (1973), you basically "hated" everyone else all day and then partied with them after the show, lol. Some of my best after show party memories were with people from corps that I "hated". Nowadays there are few if any after parties, the parking lots empty like a fire drill, lol

LMAO, in 1975 one of the vets of the corps (probably 35-40ish) came in a practice with half a bag on and stayed yelling that "you kids" (half corps under 21) weren't taking this serious enough. Started lecturing on your have to hate the <ethnic slur> from the Cabs and the <ethnic slur> from Sky, etc, etc, etc. Corps staff was horrified and hustled his butt out the door. Staff was worried that "us kids" would be scared off by his rants. Most of us just shrugged our shoulders and wondered what the #### his problem was.