When woodwinds are added....

Did ANYONE notice that woodwinds were not proposed at the Janual? The ground hog did not see his shadow... 2 More years without woodwinds expected...

No need. We've already got the synthesized WW sound last year!

I have temporary relief!

Did ANYONE notice that woodwinds were not proposed at the Janual? The ground hog did not see his shadow... 2 More years without woodwinds expected...

Did you mean to type " urinal " instead of " Janual " above ?

Because a judge was wrong....now wasn't he or she?

who's unplugged?

True. That was just the false flag used to get the rule legalized.

well and arrangment

This is true to an extent, but what is undeniable is that corps are using FAR more appropriate implements than they did pre-amplified pits. When I watch videos of shows in the 90's (let alone 80's or 70's, when they were pretty much beating the snot out of marimbas and vibes with hard acrylic mallets) it's sometimes hard not to cringe. It's easy to look at Cavaliers, or SCV, or some of the time pits and say, "see, great technique." But of course they Top 3-5 corps will have exemplary technique. Look at some of the lower end of Top 12, or semi/quarterfinalists, or even lower than that, and you see some fairly horrid looking technique/mallet implementation going on. Now-a-days, there is a MUCH better technique/implement choice that brings out the characteristic tones of the instruments (and not the harsh/brittle sound of a marimba being played in the upper register with hard acrylic mallets in order to balance) from top to bottom than there was even in the mid-90's, let alone 80's or earlier.

Hyperbole, for sure, was slung in order to make a point. But just because there might have been some exaggeration doesn't mean there wasn't truth to the argument.

they may be using softer mallets, but heights still haven't changed that much. the dial has changed the volume, and most often to too high.

there was some truth...but is that bad teaching or the need for amps?

I would also argue that the staff members of the DCI corps who proposed/endorsed the rule, and the corps directors who voted to pass the rule, know a bit more about what's going on with their equipment/membership from a yearly/long-term basis than the rest of us.

yet when the winter it became legal came up, we saw articles on DCI.org where people "in the know" were saying they had no idea how it could truly work.

I believe most of us have never foot the bill for a complete set of marimba keys.

some of us bought keyboards out of our own pocket for where we teach to keep from having to cut kids since the school wouldnt buy enough equipment. some of us have had the power to place the order thru the budget office.

i think more understand the cost than you wish to give credit for

• Like 1

hey it took amps 14 tries