1980 vs 2010

Not my fault. Ever since I have been playing the trumpet I have been around famous people. Even the person who got me started playing the trumpet Richard Jewel was famous. I am not trying to name drop, because I never mentioned that I was Jerry Falwell's trumpet player, or that my Calicchio was once Arturo's, heck I did not even mention that I have been to Olga Korbut's home , and that I have held her olympic medals in my hands now did I?

[interesting is that the back of her Munich 72 medals have men in the nude.]

http://bit.ly/hZQm1K

Be well,

Mikey

And yet talent, respect, fame, and notoriety have "somehow" eluded you entirely. :thumbup:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Ummm......waffles anyone?

Yum, I like Waffles!

...and candied yams!

> The problem we have is that we cannot seem to separate execution from content

I am all for receiving judging credit for high execution, and please realize that I am not knocking the history of drum corps; however, with that in mind, which is more "exciting" and "entertaining" to watch from the perspective of the audience, I mean really: A 2010 Drum Line performing all over the field with awe inspiring spectacular maneuvers (ie content), or a 1980 Drum Line pretending to be an perfectly aligned "elevator" on the 50 yard line for the shear sake of minimizing ticks (ie execution)?

I agree, but that's not the question.

a) There was a sax player I ran into who name dropped all the time that he had played with this famous cat and that famous cat; come to find out all that had happened was he would go around to open mic nights where occasionally pros showed up and the guy would jump up on stage for half a chart with these cats which in his mind constituted resume material as, "Yes, I played with such and such cat". This sounds eerily similar to the way Howdy makes his claims of notoriety. b) There is a really funny NASCAR commercial where a high school guy obsesses over a beautiful girl and he is in Love; they attend school together, walk in the halls together, so technically they are associated with one another, and he wants to paint a NASCAR as a Love care in her tribute; the funny tag line is at the very end where the girs says, "Who?". In real life it appears that Howdy is the guy (in this case holding an Olympic Medal in his hands) and Olga Korbut is the girl!!!

• Like 1

There is something somehow sad in some of the justification/explanation/rationalization in this thread. Without referring to anyone in particular, some of the posts feel as if they're begging for recognition, as if they need to confirm their achievements in the approval of others.

What is it about drum corps that gives such importance to retroactive affirmation? I can't imagine that anyone in figure skating circles is trying to argue that Peggy Fleming's gold-medal performance from 1968 is comparable to Kim Yu-Na's in 2010 but for the skates, the ice and the gold. Fleming's reputation isn't dependent on incomparable comparisons to the obviously more impressive execution of today. Moreover, neither is her reputation in any way diminished by the greater accomplishments of the sport since she left it.

I mention figure skating because as judged sport it is reasonably, though not fully, comparable to drum corps. The same then/now relationship, however, is true for so much else in our society. Harry Truman's attributes weren't diminished by Ronald Reagan's or Bill Clinton's. Frank Sinatra is no less great for the greatness of the Beatles or Elton John or anyone else.

Why does drum corps seem mired in these pointless, destructive and ultimately sad debates? The world is full of examples of increasing excellence. Indeed, we should be proud that our children surpass us. That's a legacy worth living for.

HH

• Like 2

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Edited by SFZFAN

:thumbdown:

And yet talent, respect, fame, and notoriety have "somehow" eluded you entirely. :thumbup:

I am not going to respond to your rude flamebait.

I am # 4 of all time in my genre. I was listed as one of the top 10 best in my genre, and that was before TULSA, REDEMPTION and COMPLETE were ever released. I am sure making fun of others compensates for other issues that you have. :blink: I will let what comes out of my trumpet's bell do my defending.

Edited by Howdy

I am # 4 of all time in my genre. I was listed as one of the top 10 best in my genre, and that was before TULSA, REDEMPTION and COMPLETE were ever released. I am sure making fun of others compensates for other issues that you have. :blink: I will let what comes out of my trumpet's bell do my defending.

Is there a list somewhere where we can all see this? You keep saying stuff, and plugging yourself, without providing any hard evidence to support yourself. You were asked earlier in this thread to provide video evidence of a corps you had instructed, and their marching abilities. You have yet to do this. Please, if you do appear to be as amazing as you claim, please back it up with a little more than just your own words.

Is there a list somewhere where we can all see this? You keep saying stuff, and plugging yourself, without providing any hard evidence to support yourself. You were asked earlier in this thread to provide video evidence of a corps you had instructed, and their marching abilities. You have yet to do this. Please, if you do appear to be as amazing as you claim, please back it up with a little more than just your own words.

I am not going to start a flame war with you, get it?

:doh:

http://bit.ly/fbwi3h

Edited by Howdy