What is the biggest challenge facing drum corps today?

I agree with this whole-heartedly, but your original contention was that DCI is not drum corps and drum corps is not DCI. Now you're saying that DCI is better drum corps with new leaders.

OK, I can go with that.

DCI is NOT Drum Corps. It's simply an organization that run ONE of the drum corps circuits. Unfortunately, it's heavy hand has obliterated the local circuits..thus the problems we have today with large tours and fewer and fewer corps. The simple sheer short-sightedness of this organization is STAGGERING.

Acknowledging the problem isn't admitting only retrograde solutions. Drum corps' problem is the growing gap between its obviously uncontemporary style and a modern music environment that is more electronic and multimedia every day. Divorcing electronics from our future would assure a narrower niche yet. It would be equivalent to mandating in 1980 that guard must be female or must wear the same uniform as the rest of the corps. An anachronism - or rather more of one.

HH

It's not even close. Requiring an activity..ahem a JUDGED activity, to have a certain set of criteria is not setting back the clock. Not have a set of criteria that makes it deserve it name of "drum and bugle corps" is also another issue. Look how long BOA has been doing amps and electronics(a long time FYI) and for the most part they still blow. Dare to be acoustic..dare to be different. Dare to be powerful without cranking the amp to 11..what a concept.

Acknowledging the problem isn't admitting only retrograde solutions. Drum corps' problem is the growing gap between its obviously uncontemporary style and a modern music environment that is more electronic and multimedia every day. Divorcing electronics from our future would assure a narrower niche yet. It would be equivalent to mandating in 1980 that guard must be female or must wear the same uniform as the rest of the corps. An anachronism - or rather more of one.

HH

So to survive in 2011 we must be more like modern music today? Care to explain what music or style of music that is? Not sure exactly what you're posting about. Funny thing is I don't remember corps following the modern music environment in the 70/80s either. But now following everyone elses' lead is now the big butt saver of Drum Corps?

So to survive in 2011 we must be more like modern music today? Care to explain what music or style of music that is? Not sure exactly what you're posting about. Funny thing is I don't remember corps following the modern music environment in the 70/80s either. But now following everyone elses' lead is now the big butt saver of Drum Corps?

That's the way!! We need 15 BD2010 productions to save the activity....... :rolleyes:

That's the way!! We need 15 BD2010 productions to save the activity....... :rolleyes:

Have no idea what that sounded like :cool: If DC follows the "modern music" formula (whatever that is) what would be the gain? Would more possible members come out since it's more like MB (aka - what they are uesd to). Few years back there was concern about corps marching with holes and still think this was a reason to moving to sound more like MB. Would more fans come out (or be created) because the music would change. Or is this yet another change for arrangers/show designers to show what they can do or take the pressure off because they are out of new ideas. (Anyone else remember that whine from a few years back?)

What percentage of the "great unwashed" would be familiar enough with modern music to want to see corps perform this kind of music. Or is this another example of that great 80s slam of "DCI:Music Majors playing to other Music Majors"?

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I'm really trying to understand your point, but you should define your word usage before we end up arguing around Mulberry's barn.

In your definition who is "elite"? Who is "small" Are you referring to Open class vs. World class?

And while I'm interested in this discussion if your solution requires 15-20 years IMO it's a non-starter because (again, IMO as a nobody) it's unlikely that DCI will survive that long under current circumstances. Ironically, if you're defining "small" as Open class then all they have to do is let DCI implode, if only to pick up the pieces and begin again.

You're right, I should clarify my definitions. It's simple really.

Elite - corps that are DCI member corps. Those that have voting rights. (I would consider there to be a few super-elite corps at the very top of the activity in terms of success and longevity. But this isn't important to the discussion).

non-Elite - corps that are not DCI member corps. Those without voting rights. These are the lower tier of World Class, Open Class, and others who may not participate in DCI sanctioned activities. I tend to interchange the terms "non-Elite" and "small"

As to the 15-20 years comment, I knew that would get misinterpreted. I'm not saying the solution will take 15-20 years. The impact will be almost immediate. When finally deshackled from DCI, the non-Elite corps will be free to explore innovative financial, touring, marketing and membership solutions that will enable many to make the jump in excellence. Right now the barriers erected by DCI are so high that very few can hurdle the wall. A bottom up, not top down answer to the problems impacting "drum corps".

Make no mistake. There will be a major fight with the remaining DCI corps for control of market share. But, IMO, competition is exactly what is needed. My prediction is that it will take 15-20 years for the newly formed group to become the dominant financial, marketing and creative force.

Music of a specific genre is NOT frozen in time, but making it electronic doesn't automatically make it timely. Music of a specific genre fits a specific style, but it's still of high quality. Having good arrangements doesn't mean it's the equivalent of being a civil war reenactment. Good is good. Bad is bad. It doesn't matter what instruments are being used. Oye... Talk about being closed minded. Just because synths are there doesn't mean it's automatically hip and of high quality. Sorry, Glory...

Synths have been available for 20 years in the marching arts. They sucked 20 years ago (mostly), they suck now (generally). You paint a broad brush too, don't cha?

You went and did just what you wrongly accuse Glory of doing.

You say "Good is good. Bad is bad. It doesn't matter what instruments are being used." and then go on to make a blanket statement about synths..."They sucked 20 years ago (mostly), they suck now (generally)."

Talk about a broad brush and close minded.

change isn't always good. and if you keep shoving change down people's throats, and keep losing customers...well duh. whose fault is it then? the paying customer for going elsewhere, or the place seeing attendance drop double digits 2 years in a row?

Any citation on that assertion?