Most Anticipated Drum Corps (World Class)

363 members have voted

1. 1. What (world class) drum corps are you anticipating to see the most for the upcoming 2011 DCI season?

Well, my initial response is Cadets due to the fact that I have heard the most from a design/music standpoint from them. It seems like this will be a show in the same vein as 93 or 98, two of my favorite shows from them.

From a purely conceptual standpoint, I'm pretty pumped for Regiment. Show has some potential for some trademark Phantom emotion without the "kitsch" of Spartacus (though I love that show as well).

From a "that has me somewhat intrigued" standpoint, I'll go with Crown. Their design team has been pretty darn consistent in taking themes/concepts that I couldn't picture on the field and doing them really well. Looking forward to what they have in store for us this year.

It is interesting to read people's post about the curse of the odd year for the cavies, beginning following the 2001 season. I always thought of the Cadets having a curse of the even years! After 2000, think about 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 (although I really liked this past year's show and thought it was the most underrated of all finals). All of the odd years since then have been great years for the corps - 2001 (fantastic hornline and drumline), 2003 (one of the most entertaining shows of the decade), 2005 (what a drum corps, holy crap), 2007 (should have won. Regardless of the politics, they were the best corps on finals night), and 2009 (just a great show with lots of energy).

That said - I think my most anticipated corps of 2011 has to be the Cadets, because its back to an odd year! I was going to say the Blue Stars because they have a lot of momentum and seem to get much better each year, but the Cadets show concept and winter camp reports indicate that they are definitely headed in the right direction.

• Like 2

Crossmen and Vanguard? Didn't expect them to be so high. Nothing against them, just didn't expect that.

Crossmen and Vanguard? Didn't expect them to be so high. Nothing against them, just didn't expect that.

Well I think I can explain it. Crossmen possibly not using synth and using Flugal horns probably has older fans very excited to see what Crossmen shell out...

And SCV... did you hear their source music?, its mind boggling, I didn't vote for them but they are certainly dishing out a VERY curious show!

Well I think I can explain it. Crossmen possibly not using synth and using Flugal horns probably has older fans very excited to see what Crossmen shell out...

And SCV... did you hear their source music?, its mind boggling, I didn't vote for them but they are certainly dishing out a VERY curious show!

I think, synth or no synth, the design team has Xmen fans jazzed. I mean go check out their 01-02 shows.

• Like 1

It is interesting to read people's post about the curse of the odd year for the cavies, beginning following the 2001 season. I always thought of the Cadets having a curse of the even years! After 2000, think about 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 (although I really liked this past year's show and thought it was the most underrated of all finals). All of the odd years since then have been great years for the corps - 2001 (fantastic hornline and drumline), 2003 (one of the most entertaining shows of the decade), 2005 (what a drum corps, holy crap), 2007 (should have won. Regardless of the politics, they were the best corps on finals night), and 2009 (just a great show with lots of energy).

That said - I think my most anticipated corps of 2011 has to be the Cadets, because its back to an odd year! I was going to say the Blue Stars because they have a lot of momentum and seem to get much better each year, but the Cadets show concept and winter camp reports indicate that they are definitely headed in the right direction.

There's another thing I've noticed. Since 2005, the Cadets have been having an interesting trend as well.

2005 - 1st

2006 - 5th

2007 - 2nd

2008 - 5th

2009 - 3rd

2010 - 5th

And the way things are stacking up, I can see them taking 4th. Interesting? I think yes.

• Like 1

There's another thing I've noticed. Since 2005, the Cadets have been having an interesting trend as well.

2005 - 1st

2006 - 5th

2007 - 2nd

2008 - 5th

2009 - 3rd

2010 - 5th

And the way things are stacking up, I can see them taking 4th. Interesting? I think yes.

Yeah yeah yeah we all know how trends have been broken. We will see what happens.

2005 - 1st

2006 - 5th

2007 - 2nd

2008 - 5th

2009 - 3rd

2010 - 5th

With the exceptions of 06 and 08, I think their biggest struggle has just been that other corps are starting to move up the ranks from a design and performance standpoint.