Pioneer

That IS pretty small for World Class, but you know what, I have always rooted for the underdog! Do your thing, Pioneer! Clean it and make it quality and you will get the credit and the respect. 1999 and 2000 were small Pioneer corps and they were mighty. Acadamie Musicale and Les Etoiles were also small and mighty.

Go get 'em! Better Every Day!

We have:

20 brass

10 snares

5 basses

6 (I think) cymbals

6 front ensemble

And I think we have 12 guard

1 drum major

1 backfield conductor

No excuses, but with waiting around for rain delays on a first show and raining during our show (especially on our electronics) didn't equate to a strong first run. We are tweaking today and will try to demonstrate a more accurate depiction of ourselves tonight.

The members are great and the staff is tight. Just trying to put it all together. Thank you all for your intrerest and concern. We hope to put out an entertaining, fun, and clean show!

Please don't think of my posts as a negative...just trying to say that going Open Class isn't a bad thing. The change might be better. BTW when Blue Stars and Troopers were mentioned...lets understand something...Blue Stars and Troopers were top 12 corps once upon a time. Pioneer was never a top 12 corps.

Should changes be made? I'm not the person to say yes or no. But a plan should be in place because if they have a plan now...it isn't working. Of course, unless that plan is to just put out any size and type of corps.

I wish the corps much success, always have and always will.

I don't think it's all about money, but it has to make sense to go back to Open Class.

Forget about money for a second... Open Class corps get to perform in far less shows than World Class corps. Take Music City for example; They are only going to 10 shows this year. I didn't look at all of the Open Class corps' schedules, but I think the most I saw was about 15 or 16 shows. Pioneer is going to 23 and could have done more. Just that fact alone carries some merit as to why the corps should stay in World as long as possible. Regardless of placement, the experience of performing in 23+ shows can't be matched in Open Class.

Just to go back to money again for a second, there are actually show sponsors out there that ask for us to be in their show for various reasons. Sure, Pioneer doesn't carry the same weight as the perennial finalists, but there definitely is a demand for the corps to be in shows.

As far as a plan, that's still a work in progress. We're reaching out to alumni as well as the local community and trying to lay a foundation for the future. There's a lot of behind the scenes networking that's going on that will eventually have a positive impact on the corps. I don't think it's going to be an overnight or even an off season turn around, but I am confident that there's a bright future for Pioneer in the drum corps activity.

• Like 1

Revolution is Open Class and they're doing 20 shows not counting Championships. And since I'm sure they will, they will be doing a total of 22 shows. idk if thats a lot for an OC corp.

Edited by griego4m
  • Like 2

Remember the scores are also relative to the field that night. I'm sure low numbers from Pioneer hurt them some but don't take anything away from Crossmen. They created part of that spread. I had the chance to hear them last Sunday in Southlake. They impressed me.

:thumbup:

And the pics. Two very class acts.

http://theroadhome11.blogspot.com/

Well done, Fred and Co. It's the little gestures, like cake for the 50th, that remind us about why we're all here.

Congrats, Pioneer. 50's a hard number to achieve!

Forget about money for a second... Open Class corps get to perform in far less shows than World Class corps. Take Music City for example; They are only going to 10 shows this year. I didn't look at all of the Open Class corps' schedules, but I think the most I saw was about 15 or 16 shows. Pioneer is going to 23 and could have done more. Just that fact alone carries some merit as to why the corps should stay in World as long as possible. Regardless of placement, the experience of performing in 23+ shows can't be matched in Open Class.

That's not necessarily a set in stone thing. We did 32 shows in 05 as a division 2 corps, so it can be done. Obviously not everything is the same now as then, but it could probably be worked out.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 1

I think that Blue Stars did the right thing in staying in a class that they could be competitive in until it was obviously the right time to move up and compete in World Class. A small corps and 10 points behind the next corps at the start is not good for the members, staff or management. It could be disappointing to claim the lowest score at every show you compete in. Why subject kids to this when you can be so much more positive in another class?

Because wc corps make more money.

___

"because if they have a plan now...it isn't working"

Re:

I tried to tell Roman this several times in 2008. Roman wasn't listening...Roman thinks that his ideas ARE working. They are not working. Although I love Roman like a father, I think it is time that Roman allow his son to be in charge of the competitive side of the drumcorps. The kids do NOT like the "nazi hats". In my opinion Roman has hired the wrong staff. In my opinion Pioneer travels too many miles, and their buses and semi trucks and trailers are not properly maintained. In my opinion Roman has spent Pio money on things that he should not have (example an expensive gravemarker for former Pio unis).

___

Claiming to be "better every day" is not the same thing as actually being better every day. To become a winning corps, Pioneer will have to stop doing what clearly is not working , and start doing the things that winning wc drumcorps do.

___

Pretending that show sponsors are wanting to PAY wc show fees to a drumcorps with 16-20 horns is nieve.

___

"Magic had a small hornline in 96 that packed a punch"

Re:

Magic had 36 horns who were all strong players. Pio in 2011 has 16-20 horns ( a friend who went to their first show told me they had 16 on the field) , but even if Pio has 20 horns of average strength players, comparing them to Magic 's 1996 hornline in my opinion would not make Pioneer look very favorable.

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 3

Well done, Fred and Co. It's the little gestures, like cake for the 50th, that remind us about why we're all here.

Congrats, Pioneer. 50's a hard number to achieve!

Mountain Grown (Fred Morris) is one class act. Very cool of the Troopers to celebrate Pioneers 50th Anniversary with them, and to bring the Cake too.