Pioneer

Nice use of EVERYONE Howdy.

When did the vote take place ?

It is true TO Mike, even Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster hate Pioneer's hats. Ghosts and aliens have even been heard complaining about them.

• Like 1

For some reason I am hearing a trumpet playing "Onward Christian Soldiers".......weird. :lookaround:

It is true TO Mike, even Big Foot and the Loch Ness Monster hate Pioneer's hats. Ghosts and aliens have even been heard complaining about them.

Actually Mikey, after the corps switched to the white jackets last season, there were a lot of people that came back and basically said that the hat finally made sense. They didn't say that they "liked" them, but they also didn't say that they hated them either. I think there's been a certain level of acceptance.

From a competitive standpoint, there's still some issue getting them to stay in place on the kid's heads. That's my biggest complaint about them. I actually don't mind them when they're pulled down low and the person wearing them looks like they're about to hurt you! But by the end of the show when half the members look like Howdy Doody because the hats slipping off the back of their head, that gets a little annoying!

Actually Mikey, after the corps switched to the white jackets last season, there were a lot of people that came back and basically said that the hat finally made sense. They didn't say that they "liked" them, but they also didn't say that they hated them either. I think there's been a certain level of acceptance.

From a competitive standpoint, there's still some issue getting them to stay in place on the kid's heads. That's my biggest complaint about them. I actually don't mind them when they're pulled down low and the person wearing them looks like they're about to hurt you! But by the end of the show when half the members look like Howdy Doody because the hats slipping off the back of their head, that gets a little annoying!

Why not allow the students who march in the corps decide which hat that they want to wear?

Why not give them a chance to vote?

Edited by Howdy
  • Like 1

Every year there is the same discussion about Pioneer's hats. The challenges that Pioneer are facing right now go a lot deeper than their hats. I admire them for even fielding a corps this year but it is painfully obvious that changes need to be made in the corps. I think a lot of Roman and have a cordial relationship when we meet. The plain fact, however, is that Pioneer is Roman's corps and the BOD of Pioneer are all hand-picked by Roman. What he wants, he gets.

My son marched with Pioneer for two years before moving to another corps. The lessons he learned at Pioneer have helped him out a great deal over the past two years. I can only thank Roman and the staff for taking the time with a 14 year old kid and helping him realize a dream. Championship rings are not the goal of Pioneer. They are a throwback to the '60s when almost all corps were local or regional. This is the mindset of this corps and I, for one, will not even enter the discussion of whether it is right or wrong. It just is.

We still support them even though our son has moved on. If Pioneer can help just one kid a year realize the dream of marching in a World Class corps, they are successful. Hope the organization can stay together and survive.

It is a fact that my wife and I will be in the stands every chance we get to root Pio on. And -- normally when we see their trailer, we will contribute a few bucks for gas as well.

Keep it up, Pioneer, and you will truly be "Better Every Day".

Why not allow the students who march in the corps decide which hat that they want to wear?

Although this idea sounds good on paper, letting a corps "vote" on fairly major decisions is not a way to operate a drumcorps. This is in no way me claiming to like the hats...just a comment on members making decisions.

Z

Never made a decision that effected the entire corps in 5 years on tour.

• Like 1

Exactly what do you think they should wear and why ?

"Championship rings are not the goal of Pioneer. They are a throwback to the '60s when almost all corps were local or regional. This is the mindset of this corps and I, for one, will not even enter the discussion of whether it is right or wrong. It just is."

Re:

Well, winning DCI wc should be a goal for Pioneer. I will enter into a discussion of whether it is right or wrong to teach that it is o.k. to plan to lose, it is wrong. Either try to win or don't compete. This is one of the bigest problems that I have with Roman's philosophy. I refused to believe all of the hype and nonsense and excuses for not being very good like "we are a teaching drumcorps". All drumcorps are teaching drumcorps. Winners make the xchanges that they need to to win, while losers make excuses for not winning.

No kid wants to lose.

I remember the kids at Pioneer saying "we will have a winning corps " every day at Pioneer. If winning is not an objective at Pioneer perhaps they should take winning out of their corps prayer. If winning actually was possible at Pioneer your son might have not moved on to another corps (along with so many other students who have done the same thing over the years).

As for Pioneer being local and regional, being that Pioneer comes from a city with half a million people and has very little people in the corps from it, in a way Pioneer is about as unlocal as a drumcorps can get.

As for who gets to decide what hats Pioneer wears, my real question is this:

Should a drum corps director have so much control over a drumcorps that he all by himself gets to decide things all by himself, like what hat that the corps wears?

_____

As for my opinion as to what hat Pioneer should wear?

The kids do not like the current hats. The fans do not like the current hats. The judges do not like the current hats. They are all wrong for Pioneer for so many reasons. They make the kids look short. They make the kids look young (they are not age appropriate). They do not function well. The kids that Pioneer are trying to recruit do not like the hats, I know this from calling so many future prospective Pioneer members and guess what the # 1 complaint that the kids gave me about Pioneer, you guessed it "I do not like Pioneer's hats".

I think Pioneer should go back to the aussie hats.

Edited by Howdy

As for who gets to decide what hats Pioneer wears, my real question is this:

Should a drum corps director have so much control over a drumcorps that he all by himself gets to decide things all by himself, like what hat that the corps wears?

So, you really have no answer. See thats the problem, YOU don't have the answers but yet you want to question people who do.

Go back to the aussies and look like everyone else ?

Edited by The Other Mike

So, you really have no answer. See thats the problem, YOU don't have the answers but yet you want to question people who do.

Go back to the aussies and look like everyone else ?

I gave you my answer. Personally I think the best aussies were the ones that we wore in North Star, with the white ostrich feathers. Those were the greatest hats in the history of DCI.

http://www.oocities.org/zekens/photopage.html

Edited by Howdy