Pre-June Prediction Thread

I definitely agree this is a large part of it. And honestly, I don't mind that people count them out. It's kind of the underdog thing where the corps just keeps doing it's thing. It's all you can do. They've certainly addressed the brass issues people felt they had.

I believe anyone who comes into a season to see shows with a clean slate will really enjoy this product. But I also know most people have preconceived opinions and some corps will never get a fair shake in the court of public opinion, or at least DCP.

And no worries Tso, it wasn't just your post that brought me out to post. It's pretty common that people predict them out. But it's even more common that there they are on finals night looking up into a full front stand, percussion set up in the old G in back.

My motto for this year is to view each corps with a clean slate....

I, however, remember the Glassmen playing themselves off to "Just a gigolo" with a small corps! They still did a great job.

I was one of their biggest fans forever. I'm looking forward to THIS year's show too! I suspect there going to be some fierce competition for 12th place.

1. Cadets - 98-ish- I think this may be another year where the fan favorite and the champion are the same show. This is just going to be be too friggin good.

2. Cavaliers - As a favorite professor of mine would say, they've got the fire of God in them. I hope they return a lot of hungry vets looking to right last year's wrong. The title race is going to be fun. It could go either way.

3. Bluecoats - I guess this could go under that bold prediction thread; I think they're a legitimate contender to be a consistent Top 3 corps.

4. BD - I fear that what I've seen others write is true- they won't do well (by their standards) with a melodic program, so they'll never do one again. :doh:

5. Crown - This placement is caused by other corps' improvement, not necessarily by any fault of their own. I considered swapping 4 and 5, but I don't think BD's talent level could allow them to drop any lower.

6. SCV - Rennick and the people he brought with him are going to make the West Coast shows competitive again.

7. Phantom - I'd love to put them a spot or two higher, but I'm not convinced that the organizational issues won't affect their on-field product. Look at the last couple years.

8. Blue Stars - They'll make a run at the top 6 sooner or later, and I wouldn't be upset if they prove this pick wrong.

9. Madison - last corps above 90 - Higher would be great, but who would they beat?

10. BAC - Another summer at the office. No higher than 9th, no lower than 11th.

11. BK - Similar. BAC and BK would have to do something significantly above what we've come to expect from them in order to move up.

12. Academy - 87-ish - They're getting really close to getting over that hump. This will be at least a 3-way battle all summer.

Just my completely unqualified perspective.

This is the least I've ever paid attention to off-season since I got into drum corps, which probably means this will be the most accurate my predictions have ever been. Here goes:

1. Cadets - idk

2. Blue Devils - three-peat seems unlikely

3. Bluecoats - hey, they were good last year

4. Crown - boooooo cut-and-paste arranging. They were the lone hold-out

5. SCV - I have no idea what they're playing this year

6. Blue Stars - sweet mello line

7. Cavies - more wishful thinking than actual prediction

8. Boston - see SCV above

9. Phantom - see SCV

10. BK - this might be the second straight year that I haven't wanted to kill myself while watching a BK show. That'd be special.

11. Madison Scouts - Robert W. Smith?

12. Crossmen - see Cavies above.

This is the least I've ever paid attention to off-season since I got into drum corps, which probably means this will be the most accurate my predictions have ever been. Here goes:

1. Cadets - idk

2. Blue Devils - three-peat seems unlikely

3. Bluecoats - hey, they were good last year

4. Crown - boooooo cut-and-paste arranging. They were the lone hold-out

5. SCV - I have no idea what they're playing this year

6. Blue Stars - sweet mello line

7. Cavies - more wishful thinking than actual prediction

8. Boston - see SCV above

9. Phantom - see SCV

10. BK - this might be the second straight year that I haven't wanted to kill myself while watching a BK show. That'd be special.

11. Madison Scouts - Robert W. Smith?

12. Crossmen - see Cavies above.

IMO Top 5 not in any order Cadets, Madison, Boston,Cavies, Blue devils.

next 5 not in any order SCV. Phantom, Bluecoats, Blue star, Crown.

Last two not in any order Crossmen, Troops.

• Like 1

IMO Top 5 not in any order Cadets, Madison, Boston,Cavies, Blue devils.

next 5 not in any order SCV. Phantom, Bluecoats, Blue star, Crown.

Last two not in any order Crossmen, Troops.

Interesting.

Now that shows have been announced, more interestingly accurate predictions can be made.

1. CAVALIERS - Notice how very little is being said about this show via the website? No extravagant videos promoting the show, no movie trailers with special effects, and no talking heads prematurely trying to convince you of how the show is going to be a masterful artwork of brass, percussion and silk. Sounds like they're going to let the program speak for itself. And only the Bad### programs "speak for themselves".

2. BLUECOATS - The increase in auditioning talent will serve the Bloo team well in presenting not the most entertaining, but one of the cleanest shows of the season.

3. BLUE DEVILS - The only reason that they're ranked this high is because of the wealth of talent from top to bottom in the organization. History repeats itself when you do the "melodic" style shows with source music of a "fading" artist. Remember Billy Joel and Jethro Tull? If the Devils don't perform the mess out of this show, they can look forward to another one of those participation medals that they got in 2005.

4. THE CADETS - No doubt this will be an entertaining show, but the powers that be at The Cadets usually have a knack for laying on the cheese pretty thickly. The source music is exciting, but there is no previous indication that the maroon platoon will be able to really do the music justice.

5. SANTA CLARA VANGUARD - With as much as SCV is usually criticized for their lack of "getting it together" in time, I have no doubt that they will get things done in a timely manner. The show will be finished, but in usual fashion, it will not be completely clean in time for the big show. (no pun intended) New staffing could also hinder the progress considering the fact that I'm expecting the balance between brass and percussion to be way off.

6. CAROLINA CROWN - This show very well may be the fan favorite, but it will be really hard to compete with the other programs in the activity. I have no true justification for Crown being this low, it's more a product of the rest of the activity being better rather than Crown being "not good".

7. BLUE STARS - Momentum is on their side, and I wouldn't be surprised if they turned a few heads and made a mess of my predictions. Besides that their ultimate success is still a work in progress. It's just a bad year to try to be jumping people.

8. PHANTOM REGIMENT - Does anyone have any kind of justification as to why Phantom is going to be any better this year? Their source music contains pieces that could very well make or break you. (emphasis on the BREAK) You might as well be playing Mozart or Grainger(ouch BK). Lots of individual interpretations out there of how this music should sound. Good luck!

In the words of Metallica......"And nothing else matters"

• Like 2

4. THE CADETS - No doubt this will be an entertaining show, but the powers that be at The Cadets usually have a knack for laying on the cheese pretty thickly. The source music is exciting, but there is no previous indication that the maroon platoon will be able to really do the music justice.

I think hope the powers that be in Allentown are going to take a page out of BD's book and do something different this year, i.e. ease off the cheese and just march and play their ##### off. Time could very well prove me wrong, but I hope not.

And I think they're in the process of doing the music justice, even if the vids so far released are of less-than-stellar quality.

But other than that, I think you're predictions are certainly bold. :)

Now that shows have been announced, more interestingly accurate predictions can be made.

We'll look back in less than 3 months time and as far as the preseason " accurate predictions " go, we'll find that " none of it matters ". And thats' my prediction.

Edited by BRASSO

1. CAVALIERS - Notice how very little is being said about this show via the website? No extravagant videos promoting the show, no movie trailers with special effects, and no talking heads prematurely trying to convince you of how the show is going to be a masterful artwork of brass, percussion and silk. Sounds like they're going to let the program speak for itself. And only the Bad### programs "speak for themselves".

2. BLUECOATS - The increase in auditioning talent will serve the Bloo team well in presenting not the most entertaining, but one of the cleanest shows of the season.

3. BLUE DEVILS - The only reason that they're ranked this high is because of the wealth of talent from top to bottom in the organization. History repeats itself when you do the "melodic" style shows with source music of a "fading" artist. Remember Billy Joel and Jethro Tull? If the Devils don't perform the mess out of this show, they can look forward to another one of those participation medals that they got in 2005.

5. SANTA CLARA VANGUARD - With as much as SCV is usually criticized for their lack of "getting it together" in time, I have no doubt that they will get things done in a timely manner. The show will be finished, but in usual fashion, it will not be completely clean in time for the big show. (no pun intended) New staffing could also hinder the progress considering the fact that I'm expecting the balance between brass and percussion to be way off.

6. CAROLINA CROWN - This show very well may be the fan favorite, but it will be really hard to compete with the other programs in the activity. I have no true justification for Crown being this low, it's more a product of the rest of the activity being better rather than Crown being "not good".

7. BLUE STARS - Momentum is on their side, and I wouldn't be surprised if they turned a few heads and made a mess of my predictions. Besides that their ultimate success is still a work in progress. It's just a bad year to try to be jumping people.

8. PHANTOM REGIMENT - Does anyone have any kind of justification as to why Phantom is going to be any better this year? Their source music contains pieces that could very well make or break you. (emphasis on the BREAK) You might as well be playing Mozart or Grainger(ouch BK). Lots of individual interpretations out there of how this music should sound. Good luck!

You know I thought a lot about what The Cavaliers are doing this year compared to last year and yeah your right they aren't "hyping" it up as much, but I think the name of the show expresses the hype enough. Oh and they are releasing a teaser trailer today. More or less though its not as hyped up... the program itself is all the hype they need! I am pumped for this show already!! :thumbup: :thumbup: