Will thunderous goo become less of a problem?

Poll  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Will thunderous goo become less of a problem in the coming years?

• Yes
    • No

You need to consider most high school pits are NOT miked and only have a plugged in synth, and most high school pits do not have the super powerful speakers that corps have.

There are a lot HS units mic'ing keyboards (with the logic being if you're gonna drag out an amp and speakers for your synth and instrumental mic's, you might as well mic the rest). You're probably right about the speakers.

• Like 2

that's a part of the problem...the speakers corps use are junk. The problem is better sounding ones cost a ton. You can volume balance crap, but it's still gonna sound like crap.

Are better speakers really so far out of reach? I mean it's a one-time investment right? What would be the "right" speakers?

McCormkick's bundles Peavey SP2 cabinets in their top of the line system and I think I 've seen those on the field.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

but that's not MOST high school pits.

MOST high schools don't march corps style or compete in BOA or the other various circuits. The ones that win BOA are the ones with the big speakers...

Are better speakers really so far out of reach? I mean it's a one-time investment right? What would be the "right" speakers?

Oh sure, because drum corps isn't hard on equipment at all and stuff never breaks and needs replacing. :blink::tongue:

(edited to add...)

And newer, better stuff never comes out, so you just need that one set of speakers for the next 10 years. Sure!

Edited by TerriTroop

Oh sure, because drum corps isn't hard on equipment at all and stuff never breaks and needs replacing. :blink::tongue:

(edited to add...)

And newer, better stuff never comes out, so you just need that one set of speakers for the next 10 years. Sure!

In the case of speakers cabinets, there's a *lot* of old equipment touring and being used every night. Packing things up and moving everyday is not unique to drum corps so there's plenty of equipment out there that can take it. Sure stuff breaks but the *better* stuff is made to be serviced "in the field".

Skewerz is asserting that corps are fielding crap speakers. I just want to know (a) is that true (b) is quality really out-of-reach.

Not such hard questions....

• Like 2

You need to consider most high school pits are NOT miked and only have a plugged in synth, and most high school pits do not have the super powerful speakers that corps have.

hate to tell you, but as a percussion judge and GE music judge for a local circuit, fewer and fewer of the units are unplugged as you describe. Last year, I even saw something very cool.....people plugged in, but with the pit on the field. Let me tell you HOW MUCH BETTER the balance was for those units.

• Like 1

hate to tell you, but as a percussion judge and GE music judge for a local circuit, fewer and fewer of the units are unplugged as you describe. Last year, I even saw something very cool.....people plugged in, but with the pit on the field. Let me tell you HOW MUCH BETTER the balance was for those units.

why would you hate to tell me that? I'm always up for learning new information.

Edited by charlie1223

MOST high schools don't march corps style or compete in BOA or the other various circuits. The ones that win BOA are the ones with the big speakers...

and most DCI designers don't work with non competitive programs

why would you hate to tell me that? I'm always up for learning new information.

because you don't always like the truth :tongue:

• Like 2

and most DCI designers don't work with non competitive programs

Lol...theyre missing out - thats where the money is :tongue: