Should trombone players have to learn to play baritone in corps

I've been waiting for years to use a "Bass Trombonium". A fictitious bell front brass instrument that can rattle the earth starting at F below the staff and beyond.

Ya gotta love Key Poulan! :thumbup:

BTW I can vouch for his love of low notes... He played third in my bari line in 1983! :worthy:

I've heard about Key and his low notes!

Yes, trombone players should learn to play baritone (heck, I did).

And for that matter, so should woodwind players. :cool:

I personally did not mind learning euphonium for drum corps. It was not all that difficult to pick up and opened up more playing opportunities for me after corps. The trombone is a wonderful instrument and I have enjoyed playing it for over a decade now. It does not belong on the drum corps field.

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that for every trombone player not wanting to learn baritone fingerings in order to perform in a drum corps, there are a lot more trombone players that are willing to learn. There won't be a shortage of baritone openings in drum corps due to trombones not being allowed on the field.

• Like 1

Trombone players do not have to learn to play baritone in corps. They can learn to play anything they want (as long as the corps is marching it that year).

I knew one guy who could spin a mean rifle.

That's a great idea, too.

I was thinking of the easiest route to corps for a trombone player. You make a great point though.

Ya gotta love Key Poulan! :thumbup:

BTW I can vouch for his love of low notes... He played third in my bari line in 1983! :worthy:

...and what a bari line that was!!! If any bari player in the history of the activity showed that you can pull off an oustanding trombone-like solo with a marching bari it is the guy from your line that solo'd in Everybody Loves the Blues in 1983. Best drum corps bari solo of all time!

I'd be against a trombone even as a pit soloist. It is a slipperly slope upon which we are already sliding.

Edited by jwscv87

Yep. It's all ear training.

At what age fo they start ear training anymore? :tongue:

Didn't quite cover that in my elementary school. :devil:

Then again two of my school instructors were so bad my parents invested in private lessons in Jr High.... Irony was one of the reasons I joined corps was so all that private lesson money didn't get shot to Hades when I got out of HS....

At what age fo they start ear training anymore? :tongue:

Didn't quite cover that in my elementary school. :devil:

Then again two of my school instructors were so bad my parents invested in private lessons in Jr High.... Irony was one of the reasons I joined corps was so all that private lesson money didn't get shot to Hades when I got out of HS....

They start it pretty early. I know I didn't start formal classes until college, but it was always stressed. Intonation was important all the way from elementary school, but I'm guessing I went there long after you did man.