Flying Under The Radar

I think these corps have a huge shot at making a BIG move in 2011! :thumbup:

Santa Clara Vanguard - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Blue Stars - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

[sNIP]

This has been the best use of sarcasm on DCP in a long time. As with all good sarcasm, the truth in it makes it happen. I wish I could have given it two thumbs up.

I know you wern't responding to me, but since you are a current DCI Instructor/Arranger on here, could you educate me as to which Judge(s )judge the rock guitarist playing abilities ? A)What judged caption(s) is it on ? B)What exactly is the rock guitarist being judged on in terms of the level of the performer's mastery of the instrument ? C) What is the typical training and pedagogical ( or professional playing) experience that you are finding that the DCI judge(s) have in preparing themselves to properly evaluate the wide range of guitar playing abilities ( for example, from excellent playing level to novice playing level, demand, fingering, range, etc. ) by the rock guitarist performer in DCI field competition ? I think this could go a long way in helping to educate me ( and perhaps others on here) on this.

Thank you in advance Chuck Naffier.

I would hate to present incorrect information, as I've been out of the game for a couple of years. Tell you what -- as soon as I have that information, I will pass it along.

best,

Chuck

• Like 3

I would hate to present incorrect information, as I've been out of the game for a couple of years. Tell you what -- as soon as I have that information, I will pass it along.

best,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. 'Look forward to learning it, if you're able to secure it. I've asked some others... usually pretty wired to what's happening in judging... and they drew a blank as well as I and others have.

Edited by BRASSO

This has been the best use of sarcasm on DCP in a long time. As with all good sarcasm, the truth in it makes it happen. I wish I could have given it two thumbs up.

Thanks. Wasn't expecting as positive reaction as it has been getting. lol

• Like 1

I think these corps have a huge shot at making a BIG move in 2011! :thumbup:

Santa Clara Vanguard - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Blue Stars - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Boston Crusaders - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Madison Scouts - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Blue Knights - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Glassmen - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Colts - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

The Academy - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Troopers - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Spirit of Atlanta - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Crossmen - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Pacific Crest - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Mandarins - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Teal Sound - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Jersey Surf - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Cascades - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

Pioneer - They're looking really good and early in the season. They retained so many members. The design team has really designed a great show for this year that I think the fans and judges will like.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

• Like 2

How could you leave out INT? I've heard they're amazing for this time of year.

You could even say theyre already as good as they were on finals night last year.

I'd be most appreciative of further commentary explaining exactly which BOA band uses these devices, to what degree, and to what effect? Name some bands. . . which years. . . what was played. . . how electronics were integrated. . . and to what degree of success.

Is music made? Is there audience reaction? What can be done to better integrate the amplified/electronic sound with the acoustic sound created by traditionally voiced brass and percussion? Or is there no place at all in your opinion?

Then please compare how you think Teal Sound has used them in the past (I know you haven't heard them this winter, except a small brass ensemble excerpt released on YouTube) and what WOULD make them different "good" in your opinion.

I'm always learning and growing -- so here's your chance. Educate me.

I promise I will not attempt to change your opinion -- you like what you like. But I am serious about the opportunity to educate me.

sincerely,

Chuck Naffier

Chuck, George Rogers Clark had an amplified "fiddle" in their shows WAY back in the late 80s when they went to BOA. I know Central Crossing had a midi stick several years ago in their show at BOA. Centerville usually has guitars as well. I saw Etiwanda, Valley View, or Diamond Bar use synths in a show where they played music from Stargate in the mid to late 1990s. Maybe it was 1997? I dunno, it's been a while. Mission Viejo used synth and guitar regularly as recently as three or so years ago. I didn't care for it too much. I've seen quite a few bands with basses, electric guitars, and other instruments at BOA. ...and I've only been to a 5 or so Grand Nationals. I personally won't complain about instrumentation choice for marching bands. That's the subset of the marching band activity where any instrument combinations can be heard.

I love Teal Sound. I've rooted for them for a long time. I don't care for their current choice of pit instrumentation the past couple of years. I saw them at the Charleston, WV show. I didn't care for the sound in our idiom. I didn't care for it with other corps either. This year, I will give them a shot, because I want them to do well; not for the instrumentation, but because we need a quality corps in that part of the country.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Since I was on Teal's brass staff in 2009 and 2011 (not teaching there anymore), I'd be happy to answer your questions.

which Judge(s )judge the rock guitarist playing abilities ?

A)What judged caption(s) is it on ?

B)What exactly is the rock guitarist being judged on in terms of the level of the performer's mastery of the instrument ?

C) What is the typical training and pedagogical ( or professional playing) experience that you are finding that the DCI judge(s) have in preparing themselves to properly evaluate the wide range of guitar playing abilities ( for example, from excellent playing level to novice playing level, demand, fingering, range, etc. ) by the rock guitarist performer in DCI field competition ? I think this could go a long way in helping to educate me ( and perhaps others on here) on this.

A. It's mostly Ensemble Music. It's also been judged on Music Effect, and percussion performance to a lesser degree.

B. Style, balance, technique (see below), quality of sound, the same things brass and percussion players are judged on.

C. Here's where the wicket gets sticky. No DCI judge, in my two years with the corps, even went into the guts of rock guitar, bass, and keyboard playing. No guitar/piano-centric pedagogy comments were made on any tape I heard (and I heard most if not all Music Ensemble and GE Music tapes). All comments were either generalizations (style, technique with regards to the ensemble) balance, volume, etc. I can live with that, provided the big picture is adjudicated correctly.

Where I have problems with the judging community lagging behind the corps was in training. It became clear to me that most comments made, both positive and critical were gleaned from the judges general background as a music educator as opposed to something in a DCI adjudicator's training.

Frankly, I have a bigger issue with music judges not understanding and objectively evaluating the overall musical program (rock, pop) than I ever did with the guitar/bass/piano being correctly or incorrectly judged on an instrumental level, and that is a HUGE problem. Conversing with the judges after shows in 2009 it became readily apparent that most judges were incapable of objectively judging the music of Blue Man Group, Christina, Janet, etc. because it's simply not something most (not all) of them listen to on any kind of regular basis, let alone teach in their own middle school, high school, or collegiate band programs. We spent a lot of time trying to educate the panels, but until DCI mandates change in this area, I'm not hopeful for much positive change on the judging community's end.

For every judge that gave us positive feedback (and truly constructive criticism) regarding the guitar/bass/piano we had five truly ridiculous comments with regards to the overall program. Here's my all-time favorite. Sometime in 2009, we had a GE Music judge tell us we really needed to "jazz up" one particular section of the show. He insisted that we were taking the wrong "big band" approach to what we were doing. The piece? Justin Timberlake's "#### Girl".

I was completely dumbfounded.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

I don't know if this is really flying under the radar but....I think the Cadets are going to make a significant move in 2011. 2009 some West side story stuff....2010...Toy Soldier.....2011...I heard the Angels in Arch performed in full recently....I dont like the light in to dark thing (YET AGAIN) but....it does have Cadets written all over it.....

I've been reading the board and it seems no one is talking about the underdogs. To me, this year has A Ton of potential surprise corps. So it got mr thinking, who's flying under the radar??? Here's my thoughts.

Blue Knights- If u have not heard these guys on YouTube, you're missing out. Mature sounds, got strong retention from a year ago and the music book is Phenominal!! I cam tell Bocook is doing the music and Hardiman is doing the drum book and I love the way it's pieced together! Huge step in difficulty, I think they'll be making corps sweat above them come summer!! Best BK? Maybe but it's too early, best BK in the camps to this point- you betcha!!

Other surprise corps for me-

Crossmen- buckingham and Napier are gonna be big helps to this team, corps will be prepared for battle in the summer.

Troopers- out one year after being in, I bet they'll be out for blood in a big way.

Academy- always lurking, get the vibe they'll punch in sooner than later.

What's your corps that are flying low and avoiding being detected?

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

• Like 1