Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

:thumbup:

1. Bb - Sorry folks they just sound better than G. Richer, deeper, fuller... better!

2. Pit - I used to march "mallets". The Marching Vibraphone was a killer!!!

3. 150 - Fills the field much better than 128.... duh!

:thumbdown:

1. Visual over music.

2. Folk who say they'll never go to another show while the G8 exist, while electronics exist etc. You're loss.

3. Indy for 10 years. I understand and respect the reasons, I just like to to see different places.

• Like 9

•The loss of Whitewater as a place we visit every year. It is our first and our most endearing shrine and it's got a sense of place like no other stadium and drum corps community.

The Scouts are returning drum corps to Whitewater by hosting The Whitewater Classic this year and hopefully in the future.

The show site is here: http://www.TheWhitewaterClassic.com

Tickets will be available for sale shortly!

Yes, the Scouts are hosting it. No, we are not going to be there. We were committed to be on the East coast tour before this opportunity became available. But we want to jump on the opportunity to re-establish a show in Whitewater. It's a great lineup and a great venue. I hope drum corps fans will join us on June 30th for this inaugural event.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

• Like 3

The Scouts are returning drum corps to Whitewater by hosting The Whitewater Classic this year and hopefully in the future.

The show site is here: http://www.TheWhitewaterClassic.com

Tickets will be available for sale shortly!

Yes, the Scouts are hosting it. No, we are not going to be there. We were committed to be on the East coast tour before this opportunity became available. But we want to jump on the opportunity to re-establish a show in Whitewater. It's a great lineup and a great venue. I hope drum corps fans will join us on June 30th for this inaugural event.

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

YES. :thumbup:

Thank you for bringing it back.

Best:

1) Much better transportation than in the past.

2) The surviving corps understand it's a business and are more fiscally responsible.

3) Fan Network

Worst:

1) Switch to Bb rendering drum corps nothing more than an elitist brass marching band with a puny wimpy sound (which is often augmented by a synth in a vain attempt at recouping that volume) unless you are standing in the horn arc. (big loss)

2) MUCH smaller marching season, and despite starting MUCH later shows are incredibly dirty and more often written to a drill rather than the drill written to the music. Music suffers horribly.

3) The loss of the Olympic style retreats where the corps would parade off saluting the winners and then the winners would do their show as an encore.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 4

In recent years, my favorite change is having no judges on the field during the first few weeks of the season.

• Like 1

Heh, <$1 to Diceman> had to look at the other posts to refresh my memory..

Best in no particular order

1) Creating a circuit that allowed more GE friendly shows instead of military precision based scoring. Hell no more inspection and cadence points has to be a plus...

2) Asymetric drills... and going to yardlines vice 50 yard line only

3) Anything like PBS, ESPN, movies, internet assets that allows people to see corps without having to go to a show.

Worst in no order again

1) Over emphasis (IMO) of WC to point of harming OC. Good bit of blame has to go to fan/member mindset of "if you're not the best, you're not worth it" but (IMO) DCI should work on this for benefit of all Jr corps.

2) Synths and other non-percussion/horn sound producers. Yeah, more like the MB that potential members know but now the big difference is experience and not something that can be seen or heard.

3) So many changes over the last 5+ years that made it impossible to tell what effect the changes had to income and fan numbers.

3 best :

1) introduction of Fan Network for live broadcasts, retrieval of earlier shows, etc

2) introduction of encores by Corps at shows

3) utilization of Alumni Corps in exhibition at Finals Week.

3 worst:

1)introduction of the Group Slotting System in World Class Competition for 2011.

2) evolution of the rise of the Visual and diminuation of the Brass and Percussion on

the DCI juding sheets.

3)loss of Corps, loss of fans.

GREEN!!!

• Like 1

Best

1) Grounded pit

2) Corps that don't do the same show every single year

3) Better designed and executed drill

Worst

1) Things that plug in

2) The vanishing of the local, small-town show (DCM circuit)

3) Finals in Indy for 10 years

• Like 4

My favorites have already been stated (or something similar)

1. the 150 member limit.

2. the Front Ensemble

3. George Hopkins?... Umm... The amazing fan base that Drum Corps has gained over the years. And all the souvie booth goodies :)

3 things i don't like

1.Electronics -_-

2. Domes

3. Jr Corps completely getting rid of G Bugles =/

Edited by Contra94
  • Like 2