Best:

1) Build-up judging system

2) Better attention to physical health of members

3) Solid financing for the corps which do exist

Worst:

1) Loss of so many corps

2) Pits are too big

3) Electronics

Question - several people have said they like the grounded pit but hate electronics. Didn't the one inevitably lead to the other?

• Like 3

Best:

1) Build-up judging system

2) Better attention to physical health of members

3) Solid financing for the corps which do exist

Worst:

1) Loss of so many corps

2) Pits are too big

3) Electronics

Question - several people have said they like the grounded pit but hate electronics. Didn't the one inevitably lead to the other?

it didn't have to lead to it. I'm ok with a pit and a large pit, even plugged in for sound. Just not the electronic additions

• Like 1

best changes:

The Fan Network

Greater financial oversight and review as a means of evaluating a corps' competitive division.

Build-up judging system

Better attention to physical health of members

Worst:

electronics and any vocals

loss of regional touring

Visual overshadowing music

domes

ok 4 each. oh well

• Like 2

3 Best:

1. Bb Horns

2. Drill/Marching style change

3. Programmatic shows

3 Worst:

1. The removal of DCI on ESPN 2/PBS

2. Amplification - I'm okay with electronics...but mics, eh

3. ...yeah...

• Like 2

I love all of the comments that mention grounded pits as a top 3 positive change, and then mention amplification and electronics as one of the most negative. "We would like to have these instruments involved in the activity, but we either don't want them to have a musical presence, or we want them to have to play with incorrect, and often damaging technique in order for the 10 or so mallet instruments to be heard over the 60-70 brass line members." Sound a little silly to you?

My top 3 positive changes

- The modern drill concept

- The evolution of the percussion section (tenor drums becoming multi tenors, grounded pit, and yes, amplification)

- Bb. Say what you will, but the fact is, it created the opportunity for a new sound. Groups could still use G if they want. Obviously they think Bb has more advantages than disadvantages.

My top 3 negative changes

- Narration/Voice overs. If you have to explain your show, its too complicated.

- The idea that shows have to be themed, or have stories. Have we really gotten to the point where our attention span won't allow us to enjoy 10 minutes of great music and marching without some theatrical crap to keep us interested?

- George Hopkins incessant need to make Drum Corps more like Marching band in the interests of "art". Meanwhile, his corps is the least artistic corps in DCI.

• Like 5

Welllll.. Seeing as there was a 20 or so year gap between the two ... :tongue:

Original reasons (that I remember) for the grounded pit:

1) Drill were opening up and drumlines wanted to get away from the "elevator drill" up and down the 50. Problem was the poor buggers lugging tymps and bells couldn't do a quick drill carrying their hernia inducers. So grounding got the big pieces off the field.

2) (And this one is ironic as hell) Perc instructors wanted to experiment and/or use different types of perc equipment but some corps were at max number of members. So answer was to switch from 4 tymp players marching to 1 tymp player standing. End result was 3 perc folks tro play something else. Irony was with the bells as corps went from 4 max marchers to 8-10 pit bell players. (So much for freeing up perc members for other equipment).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I love all of the comments that mention grounded pits as a top 3 positive change, and then mention amplification and electronics as one of the most negative. "We would like to have these instruments involved in the activity, but we either don't want them to have a musical presence, or we want them to have to play with incorrect, and often damaging technique in order for the 10 or so mallet instruments to be heard over the 60-70 brass line members." Sound a little silly to you?

The problem is, what IS "proper technique"? Technique changes depending on venue does it not? If amping was required for "proper technique" why do we still have 12 marimbas? Also, horn lines aren't nearly as loud today and I can safely say I heard the pit very well before amps and with louder horn lines. Somehow, when the horn line and drums are at ppp and the finger cymbals in the pit cause hearing damage there is a problem.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1

Gee, I wonder what DCP folks will consider the worst changes

I think the worst changes were

Amplification. I know they have made improvements over the last 7 years, but I still just don't like it.

Electronics in the pit, still not impressed with this at all. I really hope this changes.

Wow: NEVER would've seen that coming.

Looking forward to 50 pages of soothsayers telling us this is the end of drum corps, how horrible electronics are, how this isn't "real" drum corps, and the myriad other dead-horse-beating bile to come... :rolleyes:

• Like 5

Best: (I'm including 4 best w/only 2 worst)

* continuing evolution of modern visual design, both drill, body sculpting, color guard, characterization, uniform design.

* any-key brass: we might've (arguably) sacrificed volume, but we evened the playing field in the brass caption considerably and we have AMAZING sounding brass lines compared to even 15 years ago (let alone 20-40 years ago). Instead of a few great sounding hornlines per year we easily have ten or more.

* continuing evolution of percussion arranging: from military/parade instrumentation to tonal bass lines to marching pit to grounded pit to innovative outside-the-box writing (SCV's Miss Saigon springs to mind) to use of electronics and beyond. ANYTHING is fair game, and yearly percussion designers redefine what's possible in music orchestration. I love some of the electronics use the last few years, and there are endless possibilities for what can be done in the future.

* accessibility of shows. When I marched in the late 90's you could see a corps show by either going live or waiting (hoping) for the PBS (later, ESPN2) broadcast. Now, I can see a drum corps show a week, Top 12 corps half a dozen times a year, from the luxury of my couch/computer. I'll GLADLY sacrifice DCI on TV once (edited usually)for weekly live drum corps via the internet.

Worst:

* escalating economics of funding the activity. With the addition of the 'best' improvements unfortunately comes a higher cost to run a corps (plus, obviously, the insurance, housing, feeding, fueling, etc). Does the obviously FAR superior design and performance standards of this decade make up for the lack of local corps who couldn't afford to run with the big boys? That's hard question, but one that's moot unfortunately.

* internet forums. Drum corps fans have ALWAYS felt superior and entitled compared to others. Conversations that typically were mostly confined to alumni gatherings at bars, drum corps stands, board meetings, etc. are now running rampant on sights such as DCP. Folks who want to take in touch with the activity have to wade through the continuous garbage from people who erroneously believe that marching a few years in the 70's makes them not only THE authority on the activity but also the 'dictator' of deciding what is or isn't "good/correct/popular/etc. I now this stuff has always been part of the territory, but it is FAR more (embarrassingly) exposed now than it used to be.

• Like 6