Almost 40 years of changes at DCI, what do you think are the best 3

That's true, I'm not a drum corps arranger so I wouldn't know. But the pit plays the entire time, so having time come from them would be pretty consistent no?

I guess it's better to be consistent than right! tongue.gif

The time should come from the DM/Conductor. Of course this is probably a philosophical issue, but that's what I've been taught from several different staff over the years. It's impossible to be listening "back" or "forward" or "side-to-side" when you're stretched from end zone to end zone. This was one of the difficulties Crown had this year in their show, especially during Danzon...

Best 3:

1. Asymmetrical drill

2. Star of Indiana, for a myriad of reasons

3. (tie) Brandt Crocker, Steve Rodinaro & Ken Kobold

Worst 3:

1. The passing of Gail Royer, Jerry Seawright and Jim Jones. :(

2. The loss of humor & entertainment in WC in the form of the Bridgemen & old VK, who kept DC grounded for as long as they could.

3. Internet forums where some have to average 1000 or more posts annually to display their over-education about esoteric topics such as tone frequencies, proper cowbell playing technique, the merits of faking a British accent during show narration, and debates about what material is best used to make CG silks. A lot of it reminds me of the old Miller Lite "Tastes Great! Less Filling!" commercials of the late 70s with Dangerfield et al, except they had better material.

• Like 3

With modern drill, simply watching major will not work. If everyone plays with the hands, you will have ensemble tears all over the place.

A lot of different groups use a lot of different methods to work out the phasing issues. With drum corps, where you have entire ensembles full of strong members, and tons of time to clean it, it seems like an individual responsibility concept works best. The idea is, in rehearsal, you put the met in the back of the field. Everyone plays exactly with what they hear from the met, and watches the hands, and memorizes how far ahead of the hands they have to play in order to be perfectly in time. The major conducts exactly with the met, and if the theory is working, all sounds get to the major at the same time. Sometimes individual sections can designate a person to be responsible for that timing space, and giving that to the rest of the group. This method puts a lot of responsibility on each individual, so it can be risky, and can expose a lot of individual errors if you don't have a strong membership.

Another method I've seen used is identifying specific listening centers in every part of the field, and making that section (usually the one furthest from the major at the time) responsible for the time. With traditional drill, this was usually the battery, but with modern movement concepts, it can be any section that has parts that clearly show the time. This method can be imperfect because it can be tricky to pass those timing responsibilities from group to group. It is advantageous to groups with less experienced membership (such as a high school group) because the stronger members in the group can take a little more control.

In either method, the drum major is no longer responsible for the time. He/she goes with what she hears or sees.

• Like 1

Best 3:

1. Asymmetrical drill

2. Star of Indiana, for a myriad of reasons

3. (tie) Brandt Crocker, Steve Rodinaro & Ken Kobold

Worst 3:

1. The passing of Gail Royer, Jerry Seawright and Jim Jones. :(

2. The loss of humor & entertainment in WC in the form of the Bridgemen & old VK, who kept DC grounded for as long as they could.

3. Internet forums where some have to average 1000 or more posts annually to display their over-education about esoteric topics such as tone frequencies, proper cowbell playing technique, the merits of faking a British accent during show narration, and debates about what material is best used to make CG silks. A lot of it reminds me of the old Miller Lite "Tastes Great! Less Filling!" commercials of the late 70s with Dangerfield et al, except they had better material.

I'd like to add the passing of Zingali and Brubaker to your #1 list of Worst 3.

I was part of both and then 74/75 issues of the "NEW TYPE DRUM CORPS" survived those who didn't like the direction as well as the new things now will continue to move forward if we like it or not.

If drum Corps dies it will have nothing to do with marching bells, electronics, uniform changes just as it didnt in the past.IMO

Uh.... wasn't close to my point but OK....

The judging community is afraid that they will get pulled from the panel right? Because to them they really want to judge performances and give credit where credit is due and to announce a winner and do their part for DCI and drum corps by being a judge... they want to do it because it they love it. But, you're saying is that in order to do what they love they have to "against" what they love, which is judge fairly, honestly, and with integrity.

you get enough complaints, you don't get pulled from a panel. you get pulled from the roster. Have you judged? It isn't all cupcakes and roses. There may be things you personally don't like or agree with, but you have to do what the rules say...and sometimes don't say. Blend and balance isn't liking into account a few kids felt. That can't be controlled like blend and balance is. And now with this new app, you can control the sound board from anywhere, and when tested last year in Indy, that corps had their worst balance of the week.

What I don't see is every world class corps point a gun at the judges head to just "ignore" the balance/blend issues. And I don't see DCI judges cowering at the almighty directors who you make seem are pushing for "mediocratiy in electronics" (since they don't want to be judged harshly).

let me know next time you go to critique. I can't wait to see your eyes bug out

The REAL issue is lack of communication between judges and directors. Neither group has any kind of expectation when it comes to electronics. And if they do, they are by all means not the same expectations, and that's where issues start.

you're right, but isn't just expectations. it's realism. There is still a problem or you wouldn't see people still complaining about it on here 7 years after the first amp was turned on. I've called out a band for amp balance issues. I sat there and got yelled at for it. The guy next to me did the same thing. he got yelled at for it. "you hurt our score"...well duh, when I can't hear your battery during the drum break because your amps are on 25, yes, you don't deserve box 4. When I can't hear your winds and brass...during a hit...because the amps were on 25, you don't deserve box 4.

that band is STILL #####ing about it.

The expectations for drumlines for example is pretty much set for both judges and directors, its been around long enough that directors and judge and can "agree" and "accept" what's being judged and how they are judging. I just do not see electronics having that same kind of acceptance. It's just a cloud of ambiguous jargon when it comes to electronic judging and that's what gets judges scared that they will get "cut" from the panel. They don't know the expectations of electronics because they haven't been defined. Communication is what's needed.

the expectations are set and rarely met. You get people whow ant the pit to get more love, and you have people who want the battery to get more love. The best way of fixing it was to keep the upstairs percussion judge, but they dropped it. That's the one time I saw balance issues get called...Bluecoats 08 at Allentown. Pit way hot, and go look at the recap for how different the field and upstairs scores were.

oh yeah, that guy got the next week off. Finals week

Luckily we have the judges liaisons this year and Cesario to hopefully open the doors to this communication between the two groups that will hopefully clear up this fuzzy judging cloud.

even moreso, corps need to hear the fans talk about the issue.

Well, I don't think 1 instance of using this new device is enough evidence to prove that it doesn't work. Frankly, if they had been using that device for 90 days straight I'm sure the outcome would have been different. I don't think it was smart to experiment like that on Semifinals because technology never works right the first time... :P

especially when it's against the rules. the real issue, I say again, is indoors. you move finals outside again, and over half of the issues go away. I'd bet on it

• Like 2

Not really incredible if you understand acoustic physics. There is a reason why this is very rarely done in drum corps (and marching band, for that matter).

ok, so explain why with amps this couldn't be done, when now, the pit upfront with the speakers are causing balance issues? I mean it worked for Phantom

• Like 1

This is just ridiculous. I don't know if you personally know of any DCI judges, but I've very rarely met a judge who was afraid to give their opinion to anyone, let alone corps they judge.

ok. look at the spreads next time a corps is way out balance.

• Like 1

I was part of both and then 74/75 issues of the "NEW TYPE DRUM CORPS" survived those who didn't like the direction as well as the new things now will continue to move forward if we like it or not.

If drum Corps dies it will have nothing to do with marching bells, electronics, uniform changes just as it didnt in the past.IMO

yes they did survive. All what, 55 of them?

• Like 1

Again, a performer or instruction issue, NOT an amplification issue.

ah but who controls the volume button?

NOT the performer

• Like 1